Dinosaurs on Noah's Ark

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

I reckon the true enemy of reason, compassion, acceptance and general neighbourliness is fundamentalism in all its forms, whether it be Muslims blowing themselves up for a shot at paradise or American presidents trying to rewrite the constitution to permanently withold equality from homosexuals
Agreed.
There's a definite "chilling out" that happens in the New testament
Have you read Revelations? No chilling there I tell you.....
Jesus' attitude is totally different
Which is extremely interesting especially considering the eternal debate on the Trinity. Chrisitian belief states that God took on human form in Jesus and saved all of mankind by letting himself get killed (i never understood the logic there), but why would Jesus be so different than God himself?

The Bible story is wrought with flawed logic and Godly values that seem very inconsistent with basic human rights most of us hold dear in today's world.
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

TomB wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:Image
The ark was loaded in 7 days. With nine million species of animals, that would mean 30 animals p/sec boarded the ark! Maybe more if there was waiting time for the dinosaurs. I still feel sorry for the beetles that lived in the desert, several thousand miles away when Noah blew the horn and closed the doors. I'm sure they heeded the call, but never made it in time.

Oh, that's right, there were 30,000 ramps up to the ark.

Umm, only 8,999,999. No unicorns, remember.

Tom

Tyler Morris wrote:
leave it the hell alone.

jbarter:
Hah! So you admit there is one!

You guys are craacking me up!!! Keep it coming. :D

Will O'ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

http://www.beliefnet.com/features/heaven_chart.html

So I'm doing a bit of poking around - so far it looks like the general Christian concept of "heaven" is a place where you hang out with Jesus and / or god and just be overwhelmed by how amazing they are.

Booooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiing! I like the Hindu paradise WAY better.
While Hindu views of the afterlife focus on reincarnation, one tale describes "worlds obtained by meritorious acts and not by birth nor by the merits of fathers and mothers....Heaven is well provided with excellent paths...The Siddhas, the Vaiswas, the Gandharvas, the Apsaras, the Yamas and the Dhamas dwell there. There are many celestial gardens....Neither hunger nor thirst, nor heat, nor cold, neither grief nor fatigue, neither labour nor repentance, nor fear, nor anything that is disgusting and inauspicious; none of these is to be found in heaven. There is no old age either...Delightful fragrance is found everywhere. The breeze is gentle and pleasant. The inhabitants have resplendent bodies. Delightful sounds captivate both the ear and the mind. ...There is neither sweat nor stench, nor excretion nor urine. The dust does not soil one's clothes. There is no uncleanliness of any kind. Garlands (made from flowers) do not fade. Excellent garments full of celestial fragrance never fade. There are countless celestial cars that move in the air. The dwellers are free from envy, grief, ignorance and malice. They live very happily..."

I'm still trying to find out if the Christians think I'm going to hell for being a witch. Or a taoist. Or having gay friends.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fiddleronvermouth wrote: It's not all bad, and a whole lot of Christian denominations don't bother with the "eternal damnation" crap and try to focus on the "love your neighbour", which is a lost art in this day and age.

Go easy on them!
Thank you for your thoughts fiddler...
As people here who know me know, I don't talk down on anothers belief, but when someone pleads persecution and turns around and becomes the persecutor that I feel the need to put my foot down. :moreevil: That kind of behavior is simply childish. :moreevil: :moreevil: I don't give a holy hell (using that term loosely) what someone believes, what I DO care about is that one leaves someone else's beliefs the hell alone and let them believe it on their own. :moreevil: :moreevil: They've obviously found some very good reasons for believing what they believe, and those reasons are open to judgement from no one! :moreevil:
I, quite franky, don't give a rat's ass if someone believes in God/s or if one chooses to be atheist/agnostic. Those are still beliefs that are sacred, no matter what kind of belief one has (if you want to believe in a great pink washing machine in the sky, more power to ya), and to transgress the sanctity of another's beliefs is, IMHO, truly deserving of the Christian idea of eternal damnation. :moreevil: :moreevil: :evil: :moreevil: :evil: :moreevil:
Nothing about being religious or having a belief system can even be close to being decieved! Not unless the negative of the argument can be proved, which it cannot.
Again, I don't care what ya believe, don't dump on the beliefs (or lack thereof) of others.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

I'm still trying to find out if the Christians think I'm going to hell for being a witch
...they didn't use to burn them for nothing.....
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Blackwood wrote:
I reckon the true enemy of reason, compassion, acceptance and general neighbourliness is fundamentalism in all its forms, whether it be Muslims blowing themselves up for a shot at paradise or American presidents trying to rewrite the constitution to permanently withold equality from homosexuals
Agreed.
There's a definite "chilling out" that happens in the New testament
Have you read Revelations? No chilling there I tell you.....
Jesus' attitude is totally different
Which is extremely interesting especially considering the eternal debate on the Trinity. Chrisitian belief states that God took on human form in Jesus and saved all of mankind by letting himself get killed (i never understood the logic there), but why would Jesus be so different than God himself?

The Bible story is wrought with flawed logic and Godly values that seem very inconsistent with basic human rights most of us hold dear in today's world.
My question is, why on earth do you bother studying the bible in such depth if all you want to do is extract ammunition to further your argument against christianity?
Don't you have a hobby?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Maybe they were all inflatable! :lol: Image
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

flanum wrote:Maybe they were all inflatable! :lol:
LOL :lol: nice!!
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

but when someone pleads persecution and turns around and becomes the persecutor that I feel the need to put my foot down
Who has done that here? How? You seem to be expressing a lot of anger without providing any specifics on the who and how?
Where any of the questions/points I raised incorrect? If so please point out the errors.
obviously found some very good reasons for believing what they believe, and those reasons are open to judgement from no one!
Why not? Since there are clear efforts by a large portion of believers to influence the political process (i.e stem cell research, ie Jerry Falwell calling on people to "vote Christian") I think it is very fair to engage in a discussion of what people believe and why they believe it. Tom Cruise for example is a Scientologist who now crusades against psychiatry which is fine but people also should know that as a Scientologist he believes that aliens invaded the planet 75 million years ago and they now inhabit our souls. Uncontestable truth according to Scientologists. Yes we may laugh it off, but we do because they are a small fringe group for now,,, but if enough people believe it then we can't use our brains and reason, and criticize and evaluate? Come on, that's ridiculous and very counter to the concept of an open society where people are free to express their opinion.

Islamic fundamentalists have good reasons for believing for what they believe and you are telling me that those reasons are open to judgment from no one? Well I make a stand and say these people are seriously disturbed and the value system is one I reject. I suspect the Spanish Inqusition was of the same breed of people..
Last edited by Blackwood on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
While Hindu views of the afterlife focus on reincarnation, one tale describes "worlds obtained by meritorious acts and not by birth nor by the merits of fathers and mothers....Heaven is well provided with excellent paths...The Siddhas, the Vaiswas, the Gandharvas, the Apsaras, the Yamas and the Dhamas dwell there. There are many celestial gardens....Neither hunger nor thirst, nor heat, nor cold, neither grief nor fatigue, neither labour nor repentance, nor fear, nor anything that is disgusting and inauspicious; none of these is to be found in heaven. There is no old age either...Delightful fragrance is found everywhere. The breeze is gentle and pleasant. The inhabitants have resplendent bodies. Delightful sounds captivate both the ear and the mind. ...There is neither sweat nor stench, nor excretion nor urine. The dust does not soil one's clothes. There is no uncleanliness of any kind. Garlands (made from flowers) do not fade. Excellent garments full of celestial fragrance never fade. There are countless celestial cars that move in the air. The dwellers are free from envy, grief, ignorance and malice. They live very happily..."
Took me a while to place it, but Hindu Heaven is a "L'Air du Temps" commercial." It's in the air, in the air, L'Air du Temps what a wonderful feeling!!" [Weekender retreats humming and singing]
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

My question is, why on earth do you bother studying the bible in such depth if all you want to do is extract ammunition to further your argument against christianity?
Don't you have a hobby?
I choose to educate myself and read lots of things. That's a great way to absorb lots of varied information and learn about the world around you. If you haven't you should try it...Or do you only read about things you agree with?

And since you are concerned about my spare time: Don't worry I have plenty of hobbies :)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Blackwood wrote:The Bible story is wrought with flawed logic and Godly values that seem very inconsistent with basic human rights most of us hold dear in today's world.
I would argue that the New Testament is consistent with those rights, etc.
Jesus transformed the world into the new way from the old via his teachings, which is paralled by the New vs. Old Testaments...He didn't exactly negate the Old Testament (help me out, Waldi) but he offered what you might call a reformation of priorities and sensibilities in his life. Then, to believers, at least, purchased a new relationship with God for us with his blood that made the sacrifices and edicts of the Old Testament no longer valid, I think. I am no scholar of this but that's my understanding.

Given that, what in the New Testament is against those things?
Last edited by The Weekenders on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Blackwood wrote: Which is extremely interesting especially considering the eternal debate on the Trinity. Chrisitian belief states that God took on human form in Jesus and saved all of mankind by letting himself get killed (i never understood the logic there), but why would Jesus be so different than God himself?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know, I know. I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this, but the majority of Christian scholars as well as many Christian sects do not believe the bible was written by god. Holy, yes, written by god, no. The loss of that distinction seems to be the work of believers who do not understand or appreciate the difference. The general view among theologians 30 years ago (according to my dad, who studied theology at the time) is that the Bible is... well, that it is what it is: a collection of manuscripts written by dozens of different believers, amassed over centuries and compiled by a political / religious organization with an agenda, and that the gospels are an indespensible key to understanding the message of Christ. (Indeed, the *only* key.)

Anyway, not viewing the bible as a literal or infallible text lets many Christians off the hook of trying to believe that every single bloody word in the thing is a message from god, and allows them to get to know the individual personalities of each of the contributors to the New Testament. Which can be cool, since Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are all telling the same story, but each of them has a totally different angle. One's crazy about the whole "miracle" thing. One's got a "wrath of god" hang-up, one's all about the neighbourly love... (wish I could remember who's who), plus all of them are paraphrasing and probably occasionally putting their own words in the mouth of Christ, but they all pretty much agree on the following bit:
When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together,
and one of them [a scholar of the law] 20 tested him by asking,
"Teacher, 21 which commandment in the law is the greatest?"
He said to him, 22 "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment.
The second is like it: 23 You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
24 The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

(Matthew 22)
Anyway, that there is enough to make me a good Christian IMO, and if I can't reconcile the commandment to "love my neighbour as myself" with the concept of trying to save them from eternal damnation by insisting their beliefs are garbage, I don't have to "spread the gospel" (although one could argue that by following these two commandments I can't help but spread the gospel by example.)

You're right though, it impossible to read the entire bible and still believe that every single part of it is God's Word, *but* it isn't necessary to believe that in order to follow the teaching of Christ, which is what I assume makes one a Christian (although Christian FUNDAMENTALISTS will insist that not only am I wrong, but I'm going to suffer eternal damnation with an attitude like that!)

As I see it, there's nothing in the two "greatest commandments" (according to Jesus) that forbids people from calling god something else, or claims that Jesus himself is a necessary stepping stone to a virtuous life.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Blackwood wrote:
but when someone pleads persecution and turns around and becomes the persecutor that I feel the need to put my foot down
Who has done that here? How? You seem to be expressing a lot of anger without providing any specifics on the who and how?
Where any of the questions/points I raised incorrect? If so please point out the errors.
Calling someone esle's belief's nonesense...that their beliefs are not reasonable... lumping all people of one faith into the same group to be held forth for judgement by you...judging all people of one faith and their motivations without naming a single decent reason for doing so except for "they think they're all gonig to heaven"...
Your arguments have been with the single intention to tear down or disprove another's beliefs, not discuss.
obviously found some very good reasons for believing what they believe, and those reasons are open to judgement from no one!
Why not? Since there are clear efforts by a large portion of believers to influence the political process (i.e stem cell research, ie Jerry Falwell calling on people to "vote Christian")
If Jerry Falwell wants to believe that way, he can, but manipulation of anothers belief system is neither correct nor what I was talking about.
If it were not for the level of intolerance on both sides of the belief line, the stem cell debate wouldn't even be an issue.
You say you want to discuss, yet you make some very clear judgements based on your opinion that other people's religions are false.
Who gave you authority to judge anothers belief system?
People's belief's are sacred to them...
What beliefs do you hold sacred? How would you feel if someone trampled all over them, called them irrational, unreasonable, fake, false, unprovable?
I think it is very fair to engage in a discussion of what people believe and why they believe it.
discussion is one thing, putting people and their faith down is entirely another.
Tom Cruise for example is a Scientologist who now crusades against psychiatry which is fine but people also should know that as a Scientologist he believes that aliens invaded the planet 75 million years ago and they now inhabit our souls. Uncontestable truth according to Scientologists. Yes we may laugh it off, but we do because they are a small fringe group for now,,, but if enough believe it then we can't use our brains and reason, and critizise and evaluate? Come on, that's ridiculous and very counter to the concept of an open society where people are free to express their opinion.
I suppose the Scientologists are going to force you to believe, eh?
I suppose the Mormons knocked on your door and forced you to convert?
Why do you want to contest the Scientologists on the field of theology?
Why even bring that into this, except for your need to disprove religion in general?
Come on, that's ridiculous and very counter to the concept of an open society where people are free to express their opinion.
When someones opinion is hurtful or harmful to others, you're telling me you would not at least try to stand up for the offended? I know you'll stand up for yourself when your judgements are called onto the carpet.
Islamic fundamentalists have good reasons for believing for what they believe
which are? where do these 'good reasons' fall on the spectrum of good and bad? Are they doing harm to people? Yes. Are those who would tear down anothers beliefs doing harm to people? Yes.
What is it exactly that they are doing....Hurting people, trying to tear down another's system of belief.
and you are telling me that those reasons are open to judgment from no one?
exsqueezeme? You just got done telling me that you want an open society where people are absolutely free to express their opinion...
These terrorists are expressing their distain for our way of life and the majority belief system, but you just said that you want to defend that right to express...
I dont think you read my post, you just skimmed it to extract what you felt was inflammatory towards you.
If you apply what i was trying to say to islamic extremist behavior, then what I said still holds true.
Well I make a stand and say these people are seriously disturbed ...
Show me where I said they weren't.
Lumping terrorists and murderers into this argument is yet another attempt to try to disprove religion in general, isn't it?
That certainly seems to be your effort.
Why do you feel the need to pull other's beliefs down?
My post never named you, and if it struck a nerve I'm sorry, but when you express your opinion about another's belilef system maybe you should refrain from using put-downs.
Quite frankly you sould like someone who has had one too many bad experiences with unfortunatly intolerant "Christians". Does that give you license to try to tear the rest of them down?

from the ID thread wrote: Refer to my previous post in this thread...in the course referred to we explored the possibility that all religion/myth eventually came, at one point in time or other, from a similar source...what that 'source' may be is unknown, but from a study of comparative religion and myth I know that there are enough principal similarities in enough religion/myth to safely assume that there may indeed be one source; though modern interpritations may differ wildly from eachother, their histories have suprising and sometimes frightening similarities.
If all the 'paths' originate from the same source why would one of those paths alone be correct? If there is only one true 'path', why would one wish to paint it with such a broad brush as Christianity? Christianity is not, in of itself, a religion but a category of religions. The list of religions and religious paths that fall under the term Christianity would be far too big to even fit into this post. Under the banner of Christianity, various religions differ so greatly from one another that they can hardly even be categorized together. The only common denominator in these faiths is the factor that they all believe in Jesus Christ as Deity in one form or another. Some faiths under the heading of Christianity resemble faiths of other regions of the world, some even resemble Budhism, Islam, Taoism, and even Paganism (using the term loosely, albeit probably falsely, to refer to small religions no longer existant). Why these religions are not categorized with others that they more closely resemble is beyond me, but I feel it safe to assume that, even in the microcosm of "Christianity", there is enough similarity, however distant, to assume that there was a common source for these religions. Since these Christian religions often differ so greatly from each other, (by the logic that if one path is right, the others are wrong) there must be one Christian path that is the correct one, making the others false. (By this logic, the most unusual path may be the correct one; the "one true religion" would not be a conformist religion, i.e. it would not go along with what the "world" would consider to be right. They would probably be seen as going against the grain, they would not conform to what the "world of man" says is right...hmm, where does that put Mr. Bushy?)
Now we come to the really fun part...
The ancient civilizations of Central and South America had religions that by today's standards would be considered bizzare...however, in many of these there are disticnt similarities in their deities with the "God/Christ" archetype...there is even a Christ-like one, whom they named Quetzalcotle (<sp>, depending on your source, the spelling changes, see the writings of Fernando de Alba Ixtlilxochitl.) Mr. Ixtlilxochitl in his analysis of the similarities of the native religions of the time to Christianity postulates that Christianity and the religions of Central and South America may have had a similar origin.
If this is true, why would one branch of belief be the correct one among many other branches of the same origin?
If one branch or path is true, who is to decide that?
One may only make that dicision for one's self and for none other.
The path that is right for one is not right for another; imposition of one's path onto another is wrong, also wrong is the condemnation of another's path. If all paths come from the same origin, condemnation of another's path invalidates one's own.
If there is indeed only one "true" religion/path/theology etc, then ALL others are wrong, including those that fall under the same type or category.
If there is no absolute one and true religion/path/theology, then all are equally true and should be regarded as such with respect to the beliefs of another, bearing in mind that labeling one faith false is invalidating one's own and that imposition of one's faith upon another, either in theory or in pratice, invalidates one's own faith.
TerryB wrote:
No person or group possesses exhaustive knowledge or a lock on the truth.

This is quite true, so we can safely assume that, since no one faith or path can claim absolutely without a shodow of doubt to have the one and only true path/religion/theology, that all are equally valid.
TerryB wrote:
It would be intellectually dishonest to both accept Christianity as true and imply that all other religious (or non-religious) options are true as well.

Quite the opposite; if to embrace one form of Christianity as truth (absolute)is to invalidate all other faiths (including other Christian faiths), then one claims to have this truth directly from the source, i.e. God (as opposed to having been given this truth by the Bible, a minister, a college, other earthly institution of man, etc.). That source must be irrefutable. If one cannot claim to have recieved "truth" directly from Deity, person to person so to speak, one cannot even compete in the arena of being the one true faith, never mind being able to provide evidence, theoretic or otherwise, to support one's case.
If, by accepting the category of Christianity as having even a smackerel of truth, one must, by association, see the resemblance their faith has to non-Christian religions (providing one reads and is open minded) and eventually admit that resemblance indicates relationship. Relationship would indicate the impossibility being absolutely unique in the truths espoused.
Because all paths/religions/theologies are essentially unique in a few minor aspects does not preclude the larger similarities. This is the reason for the neccesity of "Heavenly" comunion directly with man to establish only "one true religion". Without that communication directly from a deity, it is safer to assume, given the evidence available if one choses to dig deep, that there is a common source for all faith. One can believe to one's self that one's own path is the right one, or one true one, but one cannot rightly assume that one's own path is correct while all others are absolutely false while there are others believing the same in their own path or faith. That would be the truly dishonest (and socially irresponsible) behavior.
Jesus loves you, Buddha loves you, Allah loves you, God loves you, (Cthulhu might love you) and they're all off somewhere playing cards together .
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Blackwood wrote:
Don't you have a hobby?
I choose to educate myself and read lots of things. That's a great way to absorb lots of varied information and learn about the world around you. If you haven't you should try it...Or do you only read about things you agree with?

And since you are concerned about my spare time: Don't worry I have plenty of hobbies :)
But you seem so bent on tearing down religion, that one must assume that it is you that is reading only what agrees with you.