How much do I love Tom Doorley? (this is silly, OK?) (OK!)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

How much do I love Tom Doorley? (this is silly, OK?) (OK!)

Post by Cathy Wilde »

This is utterly mad and impulsive, but ... I must shout it from the Chifftops! I must confess an insane, fevered, passionate flute crush on Tom Doorley. :love:

Here's what happened ....

Blithely ignoring the thread on hearing loss I purchased a pair of headphones for my work computer yesterday. And now, having just completed a two-hour copywriting session while listening to Danu's When All Is Said and Done (but why DO all their album titles sound like NPR program names???) at waaaay too high a volume thru them, I have collapsed. I am officially slain; I am held in thrall by the Around the House set, as well as The Coachman's Whip and Gerry's Set. The nuance thru the phones .... I love him, I love him, I LOVE HIM!

(Muireann ain't bad, either, but she's not my type) ;-)

(And no, I do not smoke crack. Diet Coke, m&m's, & deadlines, on the other hand ...)

Oh well, too bad I'm fat and old. Worse, too bad I'm such a lame flute player. And don't worry. I'll probably get over this tomorrow; then it'll be back to my old guys and Darling Harry (who's pretty cute in headphones, too, tho' :-)).

But I just had to write and say shucks, today, at 7:46 EDT, I am absolutely transported by this man's playing in my head via this CD. Just lovely.

God, I so love music. Are we not incredibly, unbelievably blessed to have all this in our lives?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: How much do I love Tom Doorley? (this is silly, OK?) (OK

Post by chas »

Cathy Wilde wrote: God, I so love music. Are we not incredibly, unbelievably blessed to have all this in our lives?
You're preaching to the choir. For me it's Deirdre Havlin (Deanta) and Garry Shannon right now. Always Chris Norman and Frankie Kennedy in the flute department and others too numerous to mention in other genres.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cat - I must confess such a flute based passion myself :oops: . Please don't tell my wife. I listened to Danu's first album both going to and back from a work related trip to Des Moines.

Now I feel kind of cheap and dirty confessing this, especially since those were his Seery days and not his high falutin (or is that ffflutin?) Olwell era.

Eric
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Tom Doorley rocks!
When I saw Danu in Oregon two years ago I told Tom that I had seen the band when they played with Altan at the Hollywood bowl, he had a funny story: He said he was back stage drinking tequila with a Physicist, and (are you ready for this) Barney the purple dinosaur! He said it was kind of freaky... "Only in Hollywood".
:roll:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

I have the album with "Gursun who beat his daughter," whichever one that is. Tom is great. :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Wormdiet wrote:I have the album with "Gursun who beat his daughter," whichever one that is. Tom is great. :)
It's All Things Considered (yes, another NPR-named album, Cathy :) )

And yes, that's a great album. I bought it after seeing them at the Irish Festival a couple of years ago in Newport, RI. Couldn't stick around long enough to get any sigs on it though <sigh>.
BTW: Doesn't hey play a keyless E-flat on much of that CD? I can't play along with the CD at all! (maybe I stink ....)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
chrysophylax

Post by chrysophylax »

Yeah that albums a killer, two sets in Eb, two in C, keeps you on your toes!. Rockin tunes though. My fave is "The road less travelled" though. Some BLINDING sets on that one. Especially the last set. Great stuff indeed.
What??
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Whew. I've recovered from my fit and am back home with players more befitting my age -- this morning's commute it was Peter Horan and, for the younger set, Colm O'Donnell. ;-)

However, thank you guys for being so kind. And I agree with all your comments; I do so enjoy Danu as a band. I can't help but think they're having a great time; it just feels like it shines through in their playing. Plus they're a cheeky bunch to be sure .... I swear there's one track on this new one where they go "And now let's do ... Lunasa!"

For some reason I like the flute playing on this CD the most of all theirs. I guess because it's so foursquare and straight-ahead (I'm a sucker for that); I also think it's in great taste. It somehow feels very mature and confident and .... well, like it's arrived. It's definitely more out front. Plus they sure do that Vincent Broderick tune nicely, which wins me every time.

Yep, we are lucky folk, even if many of us are trying to learn in a bit of a flute vacuum. But now that we have CDs and repeat buttons, it really helps to be able to hear such a wealth of great stuff.

Life is OK!

And thanks for the Dierdre Havlin reminder. I have to go check her out, too. (but no more crushes; my fella will get jealous!)

All right, off to another meeting......
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Danu played in Little Rock early this year; I had the pleasure of meeting both Tom and Muireann, and played a few tunes with Tom, which was a great honor.

They are thoroughly nice folks, wonderful musicians, and they give a really great show.

If you ever get a chance to see them live, take it. As good as the albums are, they are that much better again seen in person.

--James
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Seeing them tonight...I'm stoked.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Give us a review, Tintin, of their performance tonight. Sounds great!

Cathy, is "When All is said and done" a new recording by Danu? I have three of their CD's but not that one.

Chris, can you recommend any particular Deanta CD?

Thanks,
Jeanie
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

When All is Said and Done is indeed the new CD. I don't have it yet, but I'm going to get it. http://www.danu.net/
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have to aggree Tom is a great Flute player but he will never be as influncial to me as Kevin Crawford. I have heard them do multiple Tunes Lunasa has done one was even a modern tune actually called "The Roaring Barmaid" but Lunasa then Danu both called it "The Butlers of Glen Avenue" the first one is correct but on Lunasa's Otherworld and Danu's Think Before You Think it is called by the latter name so I think Danu could possible be influenced by Lunasa the Tune you hear on the newest Danu album is called Casey's by Danu and Tuttle's by Lunasa. I own 4 Danu albums I am missing the self tittled one and own all 5 of the Lunasa albums and the tunebook so I think it is safe to say I know my stuff when it comes to these two bands they are my favorites.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Unseen122 wrote: I think Danu could possible be influenced by Lunasa the Tune you hear on the newest Danu album is called Casey's by Danu and Tuttle's by Lunasa. I own 4 Danu albums I am missing the self tittled one and own all 5 of the Lunasa albums and the tunebook so I think it is safe to say I know my stuff when it comes to these two bands they are my favorites.
I am completely in the dark what you're on about but nevermind.

Tuttle's reel is a tune that Bobby Casey recorded on his 'Taking flight'. Most people would associate it with Bobby's playing and call it ' Bobby Casey's', Bobby himself obviously didn't think of it that way and named it after the man whose name he associated with the tune. I once asked John Joe Tuttle if Bobby got it off him: 'Yes he would have named that after myself' he replied.

I don't think you can decide who's more influential from the way tunes are named, you play a tune for a while and people point out you may have the wrong name for it and then you change it.