Fully Keyed Chanters...Why

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Andy Parnell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Andy Parnell »

Breton tunes tend to use a lot of keys like B flat. To me, I'm interested in Celtic music with Irish music being predominate because of the instrument that I play. But I play welsh tunes, Scottish ones and occassionally Breton ones too. I just got back from Portugal who also have a big celtic music piping tradition similar to Galician pipes and those tunes sound well cool too!

Most pipers will definitely find that they're fun to use in Slow Airs to add some character to them. Let's face it, more keys equal convenience over cross fingering and more options to get creative with. They're the equivalent of a Fish eye lens on a camera, used for dramatic and creative effect on occassion. I'll soon have 4 keys on my up and coming chanter so will have lots of fun. I knew someone that had 5 keys once! I cannot remember what the 5th one was but it made good sense at the time of discussion at the session a few years back. I thought at that moment that his chanter looked great and with his playing ability, sounded great too.

I'm now wondering what that elusive 5th Key may have been?

Kind regards

Andy
Without piping, life would be a mistake...
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

The 5th key on my chanter is for d, an octave above back d.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
billh

Post by billh »

Bill Reeder wrote:The 5th key on my chanter is for d, an octave above back d.
Yep, the old flat sets often have a third-octave-d key. Arguably better in tune, depends on the chanter and reed.

You also see 2 more keys, the 'Dsharp' key (below the bottom E hole, usually) and the third octave e key (activated with the left index finger). A saw a pic of a chanter recently with 2 'short F' keys, no idea why. I can however see a use for a long F and a short F.
Last edited by billh on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

F - the short and the long of it - the short, ring-type F key can be easier to access, and others on this board have previously expressed a preference for this. However, it can be a bit clumsy to hit if you are going to go from Fnat to E, or Fnat to G in a tune and want to hit the notes cleanly. Others on this board have previously expressed a preference for the long Fnat key. I find it generally more awkward to hit, but that's just me. If money is no object, and you have both Fnat keys, you can take your pick of the two depending on where you are in any particular tune as to which Fnat key is easier for you to hit at any particular moment in any particular tune.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
billh

Post by billh »

just edited my previous post to insert the missing period '.' .

What puzzled me is this set with two short Fs. Perhaps one was activated by the thumb? Just goes to show that there's no end of experimentation that's gone on.

Bill
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm - any chance of seeing a up-close photo of the keys on your Kennedy B chanter. I recall you saying it has 7 keys.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

PJ, I will take it up onto the roof and hold it up as high as I can. Let me know if you can see it from there, else you may have to wait until next CLW. :D

I'll try again to upload pics to the web.

djm

PS - Okay, here's a big pic. I'll give a link so as not to overwhelm the board.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dj.moulton/bg_keywork.jpg
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm - Very nice.

Questions: The key above the Cnat key - 3rd 8ave D or E? If it's D, how is it positioned with regard to the back D - above, below or same level?

Also, did you order your two sets from JK at the same time and how long did you wait? His list is over 3 years, last I heard.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

It is 3rd 8ve E (on a Bnat chanter this is C#). The tab is at the same height as the back D hole, but its tone hole is well above.

I ordered both sets at the same time, with the D set coming first. I received this as a half set, and the regs later, but under a year. The Bnat set followed nearly a year later, as Joe was starting to get busy. I was in no hurry and told him to let it ride.

You must keep in mind that this was Joe's first or second full set in D, and second or third full set in B. His work and reputation have multiplied several times over since these were made. On his trip to Ireland this summer, he was given s**t by a couple of well-known makers there for undercharging, considering the quality of his work. I don't know what his current backlog is, but three years is probably correct. I now have a Cnat chanter on order. :wink:

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piperman07

Post by piperman07 »

djm wrote:I don't know what his current backlog is, but three years is probably correct.
djm
Actually it is more like four years for a half set.

Steve
...... I got nothin'....
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Yes, well, it doesn't help that he is moving to Ireland at the end of September. I can only assume what that is doing to his schedule.

The way he put it to me was that there wasn't any point in saying less than that; if he takes less time great, but if he goes over his lead time, people would get mad...
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Resale is a consideration. Also, given pipemaker's long lead times and schedules, it is not simple to get keys added on later - not impossible but not easy.
PJ

Post by PJ »

djm wrote:I now have a Cnat chanter on order.
I've finally found the emoticon for drool:

: 0...
PJ