Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Blackwood wrote:what about believing that God is speaking to you and answers your prayers (and even wanted you to be president) yet he isn't there even though you really really believe it (ie faith)?
Thats called Bush Rash...cureable with a perscription creme... :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

missy wrote:
How do you prove that a policy has that effect? That it's the policy causing Z?
It depends. My mental model was the over-exploitation of the Ogalalla aquifer. We know how the water got there and how long it took. We know roughly the amount of water there is and we know how much we use a year, as well as how much that amount is increasing. We can easily do the math and work out what happens when you consume a finite resource at such a rate.

None of these are uncertain values, within the accuracy tolerances.

I think that schools across the mid west and west OUGHT to be saying that based on current consumption, a major drought should be anticipated and planned for.

~~

It's almost that clear with regard to global warming. We know that Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere traps solar radiation and changes our climate. We've watched this happen. We also know that the earth is warming--we can also observe that.

What's debated--almost entirely by non-scientists with a financial interest at stake--is the degree to which the earth warms and cools on it's own. However, any natural warming is unrelated to that caused by an increase in carbon. Even if the earth is warming naturally, it's still poor policy to add to that effect with human-caused pollution.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:No matter what teachers are required to teach, they will never stop having their own opinions and being human. I think that's a good thing, personally. Without exception, every single one of my favorite teachers (that is, the ones I *respected* and really *learned* from) had strong personal convictions, let their convictions influence their teaching style, and were not afraid of tangetial discussions that strayed from state-mandated course material.

The teachers who just read aloud from the textbook bored me to the extent I paid no attention whatsoever to anything they said.
Same here.

I guess that's why I said "fighting". Also persecuted is probably too strong of a word.
Last edited by NicoMoreno on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiddleronvermouth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

s1m0n wrote:"Delusional" isn't the word you're looking for. It's a loaded term and has a specific meaning.

If you see God and god isn't there, that's delusional. If you believe that God exists despite not having seen him, that's faith. One's a kind of crazy and the other can be very very sane.

These aren't the same thing at all.

The word you're looking for is "irrational".
Good point.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Blackwood wrote:How would you feel if you lived in a society where everybody believes in an invisble pink unicorn who created all of mankind? you can't dissprove it, and yet the believers want to teach your children that the pink unicorn is responsible for creation.
You mean it's not real????
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Blackwood's god :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:Blackwood's god :D
He is?! :boggle: (I thought Tom Cruise was god...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
Possessivvee tennse, use the possessivve tennnsssseeeee.AAHHHGGGggGG! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

hey hey i said invisible.....this is obviously a fraud :lol:
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Blackwood's god
My Will be Done....but good news i'm all loving, you have free will...as long as you do as i say or i will torture you...forever...deal?

And Tom Cruise is not God and I can prove it: Tom Cruise has more money than me (God).. ergo he is not God
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Blackwood wrote:Image
hey hey i said invisible.....this is obviously a fraud :lol:
Is not!!!
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

good one Jack :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn. —Numbers 23:22
Reasonable person
Walden
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyler Morris wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Possessivvee tennse, use the possessivve tennnsssseeeee.AAHHHGGGggGG! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Possessive case. But never mind.

This thread in the last five pages has demonstrated how you can have the whole discussion over, if you just dumb it down sufficiently to fit it into slogans.
/Bloomfield
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Possibly, or I just didn't read all 20 pages.