How much is reasonable to spend? $$$$

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How much is reasonable to spend? $$$$

Post by KDMARTINKY »

First and foremost I appreciate all the feedback that I received from my previous thread "Should I or Shouldn't I". So thanks so much.

Now i am convinced that I should take a shot at it or I may regret it, so now I would like to ask you all on how much should I spend on a set.

I think I am going to start out on eith a practice set or a half set.

So how much should i expect to spend? $$$

Thanks
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If you are going to take the plunge, do so with a set made by a well known and highly regarded pipemaker.

This serves two functions:

1). You will be getting a set that is top notch, and will aid 'to the nines' your piping endeavors.

2). Should you decide that Uilleann Piping is NOT for you, you can turn around and sell your set for at least what you paid for it.

Stay away from eBay sales that feature pipes by unknown makers or Pakistani sets... these items will not be what you are looking for and they will break your heart in the long run.

Make use of this forum to its fullest, and ask a ton of questions about your decision...... you may not always get the response that you want, but those who KNOW what they are talking about WILL steer you in the right direction... if they choose to answer that is... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith, it is very important to get started off on the right foot, so please do not look at this as being a situation that requires you drop a ton of money, but rather a situation where you are making an investment. If you go with a good maker, you can always get your investment back... if not a little more.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I agree 100% with what JES wrote but I'd add one further thing. If you decide to get a set of pipes made for you, I suggest you try pick a pipemaker who is not too far away from you (certainly on the same continent). It's easier for all concerned and there's less mucking about with international shipping. You're in Kentucky? Check out the following:

Seth Gallagher (NY state)
Nick Whitmer (NY state)
David Boisvert (Minnesota)
Kirk Lynch (Missouri)
Bruce Childress (Maine)

Most makers will provide you with a practice set (bellows, bag and chanter) for between $1,000 and $1,500. You can then add drones (again between $1,000 and $1,500) either straight away or once you get the hang of the chanter (most people start with the practice set and add the drones later). Regulators will come later. Some people add all three at once. Others (like me) start with one and add the others as skill and money allow. Regulators usually cost between $750 and $1000 each for the tenor and baritone and between $1,000 and $1,500 for the bass regulator.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

It can be tricky to give $ amounts as pipemakers' prices change over time, and there are exchange rates to deal with if dealing internationally. If possible find a pipemaker near you. This can be a very important step (See the FAQ FAQ FAQ thread).

If you are just going to start out with a practise set (chanter, bag and bellows) you should be able to get something very servicable under $1000. If it comes to a choice between $500 and $1000, you might want to lean toward the higher price, depending on the makers. If you are looking to start out with a half-set, you should be able to get something good under $2500.

Everything is relative, and you can sometimes come across great deals on 2nd hand stuff, so don't take these very rough estimates as written in stone.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
billh

Post by billh »

I agree with most of the comments, but think there's no way you'll get a serviceable practice set for $500 unless at least part of it is in kit form. I'd expect to spend at least $1000.

Bill
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Here's one to look at....KDMARTINKY

Patrick Murray

http://www.uilleannpipeworks.com/thepipes.htm
Practice set $650
Last edited by texasbagpiper on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
billh

Post by billh »

texasbagpiper wrote:Here's one to look at....

Patrick Murray

Practice set $650
Interesting option, thanks texasbagpiper for posting it. It's good to have something else in the under-$1000 range. I should have said "expect to pay at least $1000 for traditional materials. :-D

Chanter is resin, but it sounds as though the bore may be reamed to dimension and the toneholes hand-voiced, which would be good IMO.

Keeping the price of bag+bellows to $250 seems difficult. I assume this is a glued vinyl bag?

regards

Bill
Last edited by billh on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

billh wrote:
texasbagpiper wrote:Here's one to look at....

Patrick Murray

Practice set $650
Interesting option, thanks PM for posting it. It's good to have something else in the under-$1000 range. I should have said "expect to pay at least $1000 for traditional materials. :-D

Chanter is resin, but it sounds as though the bore may be reamed to dimension and the toneholes hand-voiced. Is that correct?

Keeping the price of bag+bellows to $250 seems difficult. I assume this is a glued vinyl bag? How are the bellows constructed? (I assume you are in a position to answer this :-) )

regards

Bill
Thanks PM for posting it.....HMMMM :-?

If your asking me??? I don't know Patrick's bellow making technique's... You might ask him yourself if you are curious...
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

texasbagpiper wrote:Here's one to look at....KDMARTINKY
Patrick Murray

Practice set $650
Also David Daye and Patrick Sky are a few others...
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Make good use of the search feature of this forum too. All of this has been discussed at great lengths before and with some reading you should be able to get a good idea of your options. Find makers' websites and do the research. There are some (ie. bellows) kits you can get that'll cut down on costs. If you consider this, see CJ Dixon or David Daye's sites.
billh

Post by billh »

sorry texasbagpiper, I got confused for a sec. Thought you'd posted it "for" PM for some reason, when I saw the words "Patrick Murray" at the end of your entry.

AFAIK David's bellows are all kits, but certainly I may be wrong. As you said, Pat's practice sets are about the same price as the PM set.

I guess my point was that it seems hard to make a good bag and bellows for $250. Fair play to the guys if they can do it.

Bill
piperman07

Post by piperman07 »

You can also get a wooden chanter, leather bag and bellows for about $600 from CJ Dixon, if you opt for a bellows kit. It would save you $90 to build it yourself.

Everything that I have read and heard this wouldn't be a bad deal either.

I have one of his bellows kits, assembling it now. Quality all the way.

Steve
...... I got nothin'....
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Get a synthetic bag from Patrick Sky for $75, add that to the Dixon bellows kit and you're more than half way there for approx. $200.
PJ
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Spend as much as you can on the best set possible. Friends of mine who have been playing for 25 years were just reflecting that the search for a great instrument is more like a journey than a destination. With online outlets, it is very easy to move items, if your taste changes.

Finding the instrument should have no geographic bounds. Everyone has a different short list of pipemakers. Everyone seems to have a different reason for supporting certain makers. Everyone seems to have a different experience with different sets and the different makers.

Chanters can be up to $2400 now from the 'top' makers. Top-of-the-line bellows from Michael Dow runs $500. L&M bag 125-200 - bag cover is optional.

You should really consider going straight to a half set - bagpipes are really drones and a chanter.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Whereas all of the above advice has merit, thousands of dollars are not needed to get into Uilleann piping. If price is a concern for you do not be discouraged!... there are good options for a beginner on a budget.

(At the risk of starting up the entire traditional vs. non-traditional construction discourse again...)

You might want to take a look at David Daye's practice and half sets:
www.daye1.com

Patrick Sky also makes a nice traditional construction budget practice set:
www.patricksky.com

Search the forum and you will find a wealth of information on both of these makers.

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."