Solas in Tulsa - July 12

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
John-N
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John-N »

Friday night, July 12, at 8PM

The Irish Society of Oklahoma Foundation (501c3 business entity of the <a href="http://sq.tdis.com/IrishClubhome.htm">Irish American Club of Tulsa</a>), Kilkenny’s Irish Pub and Eatery, and Guinness present an Irish concert featuring <a href="http://www.solasmusic.com/">SOLAS</a>, acclaimed by many as the most exciting Irish traditional band in the world.

The concert is at the:

<a href="http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ ... ">Avondale Theater</a>
1511 South Delaware
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Tickets go on sale June 18, 2002

There will be a pre- concert party at the theater and a post-concert party at Kilkenny's Restaurant that your ticket stub will get you into with various lures.

More details later as they become available.
chanse

Post by chanse »

I've heard bad things about Solas latley. I guess they're trying to go Indie or something weird like that and that their recent concerts have been very odd. Not many Irish songs done at all, only one set of reels and that's it, and I guess if they don't make the indie thing happen they're going to break up.
24BRIX

Post by 24BRIX »

[quote]
On 2002-06-15 12:37, chanse wrote:
I've heard bad things about Solas latley. I guess they're trying to go Indie or something weird like that and that their recent concerts have been very odd. Not many Irish songs done at all, only one set of reels and that's it, and I guess if they don't make the indie thing happen they're going to break up."[quote]

How Awful :???:
Maybe I should just skip it and go see Dervish on July 24.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 24BRIX on 2002-06-15 13:47 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 24BRIX on 2002-06-15 13:48 ]</font>
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

I agree with chanse, Solas went from being my favorite irish music band to my *least* favorite band... Oh well, things are changing, but maybe they're trying to reach a broader market and that at the end of the line they're gonna be making more money...
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

Well, I'm gonna be there, and I'll post my reaction afterward.

Thanks for letting us know, John. I don't know how I missed hearing about this. Probably because I don't belong to the Irish American club.

--Jay
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

On 2002-06-15 13:56, Azalin wrote:
I agree with chanse, Solas went from being my favorite irish music band to my *least* favorite band... Oh well, things are changing, but maybe they're trying to reach a broader market and that at the end of the line they're gonna be making more money...
Hmmm, I'm not a 'strictly trad' person (quite the opposite), and while I understand that people may loose personal interest in artists when they evolve their style I find it sad when it is assumed that they are 'selling out' or 'doing it for the money'. I think that we should be able to give bands the credit that they might actually enjoy the direction they are moving in and feel that they are achieving something artistically. I love some of the newer Solas (and Shooglenifty, and AfroCelt, and the Pogues...). I also love the old Solas (and Karan Casey :cool: ). Personally, I'm glad Bob Dylan picked up an electric guitar, despite the fact that he lost a load of his fans.
I'm not saying you should like it -- if it is only trad that floats your boat then that's fine. But don't assume that they're just in it for the money. Solas are hardly mainstream even with their evolution -- I bet that those who go see them find that they are having an aweful lot of fun. I may try and catch the Portland show myself...
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I may have to see if I can make it! Hey, Seamus, try to sneak some of us in early, OK? :wink:
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

It has surely been a change of sound for Solas on the last 2 CD's.
One of the strengths of Solas I see, is that they operate as a band, a dynamic, as opposed to a solo artist with backup. So then it's the combination of people which makes the music possible.
With Karan Casey, John W. and John D. leaving the band it has become a different mixture, making different music possible. Seamus Egan is also known for his versatility and experimentation.

the cd. 'The Hour before dawn' was too much of a mixture for me to listen to; it wasn't Irish, it wasn't rock.
I like the new CD 'The Edge of Silence' for what it is: a rock album. IMO the voice of their new singer is also much more suited for that.

here ends my ramble :smile:
steve

Post by steve »

For anyone who misses the old solas (with no disrespect to the new style they have) I just bought a videotape of them live in 1999. I was really impressed by the vitality that came bursting out of every song. There is a fair amount of low whistle playing on the tape including some double low whistle by the accordianist and the banjo player. A very inspiring performance.
--balance--
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yup, great video, a must have really. It's available on DVD too, I believe.

Loren
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, I first saw the show on TV in '99 on St-Patrick's day, it was broadcasted in Vermont. Very good stuff!
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

The concert in question was last night, and was follows is my somewhat schizophrenic reaction.

The part of me that is currently intent on immersing myself in the traditional music of Ireland was disappointed. Real Irish trad it was not, particularly the first half which included a lot from their latest album. Later on the band's roots became somewhat more apparent, and there were even a few sets of reels.

Another part of me has broader musical tastes, and loves to hear really, really good players doing their thing in almost any style. That part was pretty much blown away. Gosh, with musicians like Seamus Egan, Winifred Horan, and Mick McAuley, how could it be anything but great, unless they are just selling out? (Okay, purists may think they are, but I'm inclined to be more charitable.)

Unfortunately, Seamus Egan played guitar more than anything, but played flute on several numbers, and low whistle once. It was disappointing he didn't play more flute and whistle. My goodness, he is just amazing. (Actually, the word "amazing" isn't really adequate, but it's the best I can do at the moment.)

Taken for what it was (rather than how traditional it was), it was a great concert. Too bad it wasn't held at a larger venue, where more people could have heard them. Selfishly, though, I have to say that hearing them in the very small hall (300 seats, maybe?), was pretty special.

One sad side note. Kilkinny Road, a local Irish trad group which was supposed to play last night, did not appear because their fiddle player, Wayne Kahre, had a heart attack and is currently hospitalized and possibly awaiting surgery. Wayne is an excellent fiddler and a fine, fine fellow. For those of you inclined to offer thoughts and prayers, now would be a good time.

--Jay
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

Jay, John,

Has there been any news on Mr. Kahre? I hope he is doing ok.

More things coming up in Tulsa at the John H. Williams Theatre...

*Isla St. Clair & her Ceilidh Band (9/13-14)
*Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill (10/11-12)
*Gaelic Storm (11/22-23)
*Danú (Feb. 7-8,'03)
*Dervish (Mar 7-8,'03)

I'd like to take my mom to see something on the more traditional side...Do any of these fit that bill?

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
John-N

Post by John-N »

Wayne is in stable condition at the hospital. He will be having bypass surgery on Monday depending on how things go.

We would greatly appreciate all of your prayers.

Thanks,
John
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-13 18:22, Kim in Tulsa wrote:
More things coming up in Tulsa at the John H. Williams Theatre...

*Isla St. Clair & her Ceilidh Band (9/13-14)
*Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill (10/11-12)
*Gaelic Storm (11/22-23)
*Danú (Feb. 7-8,'03)
*Dervish (Mar 7-8,'03)

I'd like to take my mom to see something on the more traditional side...Do any of these fit that bill?

Kim
Gaelic Storm is the group shown in the movie Titanic, playing for the dancers down in steerage. And Dervish is an excellent group, one of my favorites. They have lots of CDs out. My two favorites are Midsummer's Night and Live in Palma. I wish they'd come to California. The closest they are coming this year is Roseburg, Oregon.