HAPPY BLOOMSDAY!!!! (OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Yea, I know what you're all thinking. "But I thought it was <i>Father's Day</i>."

Well, it is. But, it's also Bloomsday!

Go read James Joyce's <i>Ulysses</i>!

(just so you know, it's bloomsday because <i>Ulysses</i> takes place on June 16, 1904 in Dublin, Ireland.)
thomlarson

Post by thomlarson »

Speaking of Bloomsday...

Follow the link below, you might recognize the band's whistle player. You also might know Kevin (on the right in the pic) as "tunemarshall" here at the message board.

<B><A HREF="http://www.thewhistleshop.com/bloomsday ... day</A></B>

Happy Bloomsday!
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Began my third reading of Ulysses last Monday, hoping to finish it by Bloomsday. Ha! No way! Only got to part II (chapter 4) this AM. Have tentatively reset the deadline for finishing it to Midsummer Day (a week from tomorrow). Thought briefly about trying to get a mutton kidney to eat today (in honor of Leopold Bloom) but settled on a pork chop instead.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I loved Ulysses, but I still don't GET it!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Anna - here's a hint: it's a story of a perfectly normal day in a perfectly mundane human. It's an epic of humanity, of the human experience. I do believe that Joyce was trying to capture life in a bottle, so to speak...

The magic is in the way it's told...

*Disclaimer: I'm not a literature major or even a semi-educated. I'm not a genius. I'm not a Joyce scholar. This is just my opinion, so pretentious literary f$%ks, go jump in a lake....
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

On 2002-06-16 09:27, TelegramSam wrote:
Yea, I know what you're all thinking. "But I thought it was <i>Father's Day</i>."

(just so you know, it's bloomsday because <i>Ulysses</i> takes place on June 16, 1904 in Dublin, Ireland.)
It's also my birthday, and I was born in Dublin, but not that long ago. :smile:
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2002-06-16 23:01 ]</font>
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

This is just my opinion, so pretentious literary f$%ks, go jump in a lake....
Why the venom? We are but simple whistle players. The joke, after all, is on the scholars, for as Joyce wrote (somewhere or other), "I've put so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring
one's immortality."
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I didn't know Bloomsday was Irish, I thought it was just an excuse to hold a marathon in Spokane Washington when the lilacs were in bloom.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I thought this was gonna be about Bloomfield having a special day. He deserves one, he's such a card (read: all round thoroughly nice chap).

So can we have an official Bloomsfield Day soon? I'm designing a special banner for the office already.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I tried to get into Ulysses several times with no luck. Then I gave it a try using Cliff's Notes, and enjoyed the book tremendously. Anyone else wanting to explore this work may want to give it a try. Still couldn't get into Anna Karenina though...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-06-17 04:13, Martin Milner wrote:
I thought this was gonna be about Bloomfield having a special day. He deserves one, he's such a card (read: all round thoroughly nice chap).

So can we have an official Bloomsfield Day soon? I'm designing a special banner for the office already.
Good job, Martin. Nicely done and not too obvious. I mean, you only misspelled my name once. But I still can't believe you charged me 40 quid... :roll:
/Bloomfield
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Happy Birthday Tony!!

Vinny
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

Good! I'm looking for some summer reading. I have a boring job where I sit at a desk. For hours and hours...All the books I've been reading are so FRUSTRATING, it's like people have abandoned the need to tell a good story just so they can use words in a "haunting" sort of way. I've had enough of that. Does anyone know any good books that are good books?
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Well now...if you're open to the mind-expanding universe of science-fiction, I'm no slouch in recommending good stuff. Fantasy, as well. If that doesn't sound appealing, I have no more to say on the subject (your loss, sniff.) Just kidding.
"Reality is for people who can't handle science-fiction."

To remain reasonably topical to this board, read Ciaran Carson's "Last Night's Fun." It's a very entertaining and funny book about traditional music in Ireland, as well as amusing descriptions of Irish culture and personalities.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-06-17 13:12, Bloomfield wrote:
On 2002-06-17 04:13, Martin Milner wrote:

Good job, Martin. Nicely done and not too obvious. I mean, you only misspelled my name once. But I still can't believe you charged me 40 quid... :roll:
Hey, I thought the deal was 40 quid, plus that box of Megs you "found" on the back of a lorry in Adare High Street. Now I've gotta repaint that banner, too, I'm out of pocket over this! Goll, where's the gratitude?

I saw Riverdance last night (at the Hammersmith Apollo), starts off with a guy playing a low whistle, and there's a section on the pipes too, but the really impressive musician was the lady fiddle player. There was some bodhran playing too (but it wasn't too long fortunately) and I believe there was a bit of dancing going on between the musical bits. Quite a show!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing