Poll: New or Used?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

New or Used?

Most often new
52%
Most often used
29%
No real preference, it depends on what is available.
19%

Total votes: 31

jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:No way. Canned peaches on a scoop of cottage cheese. Now THAT'S salad. Even Weeks knows that.
Eeeewwwwww... What a waste of canned peaches. They'd be put to much better use in a peach cobbler.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:No way. Canned peaches on a scoop of cottage cheese. Now THAT'S salad. Even Weeks knows that.
Oh, and preferably not used, just to bring things back on topic.
Isn't cottage cheese "used" by definition? Chud.
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

dentures?
new preferably.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Eeeewwwwww... What a waste of canned peaches. They'd be put to much better use in a peach cobbler.
Peach cobbler is basically peach hotdish (that's casserole to you) when you think about it.

All but one of my whistles are new. Well, they were when I got them. There's no special reason for that other than they were sitting there in the music shop looking at me. The used one --a brass D with a black plastic head-- was given to me by a bodhrán player who got it off of someone that he says was playing annoyingly badly at a session ("Hey, lemme see that") and somehow never got around to giving it back. Heh.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Oh, and preferably not used, just to bring things back on topic.
Cheese IS indeed predigested if you think about it. Although I'd prefer not to.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Nanohedron wrote:
If you think that's bad, try a cup of kopi luwak, which is essentially coffee beans that have been eaten and partially digested by a type of civet. Plantation workers snatch them up as soon as they are excreted, for immediate roasting.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddr ... i_luak.htm

Yum!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Wanderer wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
If you think that's bad, try a cup of kopi luwak, which is essentially coffee beans that have been eaten and partially digested by a type of civet. Plantation workers snatch them up as soon as they are excreted, for immediate roasting.

Yum!
Yeah, I hear it goes for something like $300 a pound. Hmmm. Maybe I could get my cat to develop a taste for raw coffee beans. I'd clean the litter box more often.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I suppose I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used whistle, but with cars I buy new when I can afford it. It's a control issue, I guess. The problem I've had with buying used cars is that so many people don't pay attention to regular maintenance schedules so you can end up with a vehicle whose owner changed its oil only once every 20,000 miles or so. I went through a string of used Subarus in the 1980s, each one lasted only a year or two, and I got frustrated. So in 1990 I bought a brand new Honda Civic that I drove virtually trouble-free for 250,000 miles over the next 10 years. I sold it to a guy who drove it another 100,000 miles after that.

I know that new-car smell is the most expensive smell on the planet (apart from a few luxury perfumes), but still I like knowing what has and hasn't been done to my car.

I buy most furniture used, though, at flea markets and garage sales. My stepmother once asked me what my "decor" was when she was planning Christmas presents, and I told her it was "Early Attic."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I found a pack of bacon in my fridge once that was 'mostly used'. What wasn't in the pack had been used, but the two shiny irridescent rashers left in there weren't used.

There's little worse than finding 'mostly used' stuff in the fridge, I reckon. :(
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

GaryKelly wrote:There's little worse than finding 'mostly used' stuff in the fridge, I reckon. :(
"Partially used" can be bad, as well.

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Nanohedron wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Oh, and preferably not used, just to bring things back on topic.
That's the beauty of cheese. It doesn't go bad because it's already spoiled. :D

That statement, when delivered at an opportune moment during a potluck . . . directly over that cheesy dish you've been looking forward to for weeks . . will usually ensure that the rest is left to you and you alone.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Wanderer wrote:
jsluder wrote: Oh yeah. Lettuce, mixed herbs, grape tomatoes, raisins, pine nuts, walnuts... with a good balsamic vinaigrette (and perhaps a few grilled prawns). Mmmm...
I had a salad like this once, where the walnuts were sugared, there were some mandarin orange slices, and there was a little gorgonzola cheese crumbled in the salad as well...delicious!
There you go again, Greg... making my tummy rumble. ::sigh:: Hope all is well in your neck o' the woods!!

~Andrea
who is balanced between new and used
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Wanderer wrote: If you think that's bad, try a cup of kopi luwak, which is essentially coffee beans that have been eaten and partially digested by a type of civet. Plantation workers snatch them up as soon as they are excreted, for immediate roasting.

Yum!
Erm, Greg... I take back what I just said about making my tummy rumble. :boggle:
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Yum!
Yeah, civet is and ingrediant in most expensive perfumes too...
juices squeezed from the anus of cats.......
spray that on!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I make my own, so it's definitely new. One of these days I'll get it right...

So those who use "pre-loved" whistles, do you scruple to clean them in any way before use, or do you just trust to luck?
How do you clean them? Washing-up liquid? Ether? Vodka? (Heard that one recently for head-lice: nice!)

In the retail outlets around here, if you blow it, you've bought it (at least if anybody spots you).