Is Mr. Tipple back?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Once I had a job in a factory in Chicago making punch cards.
It was insane.
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

I'll never forget my college roommate, upon completion (barely) of his computer class, dancing maniacally around the hibachi burning his punch cards one by one. There were a lot of cards. I had to leave...he was freaking me out. k
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I work for a software company. We use "input files" for the main input for our software (a FEA mechanical engineering application). Sometimes, people around here (myself included) still call these input files "decks" and associated entries in these input files "cards" as throwback to the day when, in fact, the program's input was actually a deck of cards.

Funny stuff.

(BTW, talk about your serious OT thread creep here -- sheesh!) ;)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

fyffer wrote:Funny stuff.

(BTW, talk about your serious OT thread creep here -- sheesh!) ;)
It's all Mr Tipple's fault! He went and got nostalgic on us, and we just fooolowed!!! :)
~~~~
Barry
KateG

Post by KateG »

Do not fold, spindle or mutilate this thread!
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

In an effort (futile, I'm sure) to steer this back on course, I'm happy to report that not only is Mr. Tipple back, but he's building flutes as well. My new two-piece smooth bore flute showed up yesterday, and I'm having a ball. What a great instrument!

Thanks Robert!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
KateG

Post by KateG »

You lucky devil you! The Post Office gremlins appear to have eaten the two I just ordered from him, and Doug and my Postmistress are busy rattling cages to make them spit it out.
dow

Post by dow »

KateG wrote:You lucky devil you! The Post Office gremlins appear to have eaten the two I just ordered from him, and Doug and my Postmistress are busy rattling cages to make them spit it out.
I've discovered that a plate of cookies in the mailbox around Christmas time helps keep the gremlins happy and makes them go bother someone else. :D Seriously, when I came home from work Thursday and saw 2/3 of a post office shipper tube sticking out of the end of the mailbox at a crazy angle, I thought, "Oh boy, the post office managed to break PVC." Happily the box was just dented and the flute was fine.

I tried it with the wedge in it yesterday and couldn't get it to sound for me but once, so I took it back out. I'll try it again in a month or so when my embouchure and technique get a little bit better.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

dow wrote: I tried it with the wedge in it yesterday and couldn't get it to sound for me but once, so I took it back out. I'll try it again in a month or so when my embouchure and technique get a little bit better.
Hey dow,
Where in relation to the blow hole was your wedge? The emerging consensus seems to be that it works best if the wedge is rotated toward your lower lip about 45-60 degrees (relative to a point directly opposite the blow hole as seen from the bottom end of the head joint). If it's rotated away from your lower lip it can be very difficult to get a decent sound out of the flute.

Ming
dow

Post by dow »

mkchen wrote:...The emerging consensus seems to be that it works best if the wedge is rotated toward your lower lip about 45-60 degrees (relative to a point directly opposite the blow hole as seen from the bottom end of the head joint). If it's rotated away from your lower lip it can be very difficult to get a decent sound out of the flute.

Ming
Thanks, Ming! I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Like I said above, right now, I'm doing my best just to get the flute to sound without the wedge in it. Is that the center of the wedge at 45-60 degrees down, or one of the edges?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

dow wrote: Is that the center of the wedge at 45-60 degrees down, or one of the edges?
That would be the centerline of the wedge. Your zero angle reference would be a point directly opposite the blow hole. If you search the forum for the keyword "wedge" you'll probably find that others have described this better than I just did.

Ming