how long to get 'good'?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ann »

Whistle playing, like any other skill that's been around for a long time is deep. Far deeper than I could ever go in any foreseeable future. I think its like languages or any other skill that humans come up with, once enough people master them the boundries get pushed into the realm of poetry or some such.

It doesn't seem to take very long to sound good and pleasing, to develop some skill. But to go as far as the instrument can take you would be probably more than a lifetime for someone as talentless as me.

So I figure that even though I many not be mastering all the crans and rolls and fast fingering so soon, I can at least learn every step with grace. In other words doing what I can do and doing with an eye towards perfection would be my definition of good.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: Ann, you can't win the talentless contest. Too many of us qualify for first place. I'm sure you know that saying "Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration". I think that 90% can take a person a very long way. I don't think anyone can master all those things you mentioned quickly. So if that's why you say you are "talentless", then I have to disagree. You simply have set a high standard for yourself. :)
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

How long to get good? Say good now that music is a good thing to pursue. Good is when you start!
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've been playing for almost 6 years and I'm much better than I was when I started, and good enough to entertain myself most of the time, but still not good enough (for the most part) to keep up AND play well at your average speed session. I do think I can play many tunes (40 or 50) tastefully, expressively, and in the 'correct' trad. Irish style/idiom when I play fairly slow (a little slower than your average session speed).

However, I've also had detours into button accordion, tenor banjo, and flute, so I wasn't always spending 100% of my time on whistle. I'm also married with three kids, a dog, cat, and bird, I work full-time, and take a class or two each semester, so I have quite a few other things taking up my time.

If you devote a significat part of your free time to playing whistle and you don't have too many other responsabilities, then I'd guess you could get pretty darn good (much better than me) in about 2 years.

-Brett
Last edited by Bretton on Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MUSIC
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Tommy, may I ask the point of you posting the word "MUSIC" in multiple threads this morning--I'm particularly baffled by you putting it here.

Susan
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

brianormond wrote:-However long it takes for the neighbor's responses to go from "Dang, He's playing that verschlect thing again!" to "Awriiight!!-He's playing that cool stuff!-Shut off your boom car and Fifty Cent and listen, Junior!" :D
Yes, I think that's why I want to learn the Highlands Bagpipes. I care about my neighbors and I want to give them the enlightening experience of learning to love something you used to hate. ...after a few years. :twisted:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

A year or two ago I went for an evening walk in a very upscale neighborhood in the foothills north of Salt Lake City. The homes are in the near-million to multi-million dollar range. I heard music coming from somewhere and realized as I walked along, getting closer to the sound, that it was Highland pipes. It sounded wonderful to me since I love the pipes (and the tune was NOT Amazing Grace--hallelujah!). I finally walked by the home where a guy was playing pipes out on his balcony, and the sound was carrying forever. I loved it, but I can't even imagine how his ritzy neighbors felt about it.

Susan
Flauta dolce

How long is a piece of string?

Post by Flauta dolce »

It depends on you alone. Here's some questions for you.

What's your definition of good?
How driven are you to improve?
How good is your ear ?
Can you read music?
Are you willing/able to invest time in practising, lessons and listening?
Are you surrounded by musicians?

You will need to spend time on your own practising. That's for sure.

Good luck to you though, you couldn't find a healthier hobby. The only disadvantage is playing in late at night in sessions and going to work the next day...
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

How Deep in the Ocean?

Post by Tom Dowling »

How deep is the ocean?
How high is the sky?

It would be my guess that there is no objective referent for what is 'good'. A teacher once told me that no tune, no matter how simple or elementary, is too simple or too elementary to sound wonderful if it is played right. I still enjoy the first tune I taught myself, by myself (Tralee Gaol) as much as any tune I know, and when I am wailing away in the garage, taking advantage of that big echo, I always include it in the tunes I run through.

Learning to play the whistle in a way that sounds right to you and that might also be consistent with how others play is a lot like certain programs of personal recovery--simple, just not easy. In both cases, the discipline, the one note at a time (or one day at a time) are likely to be worth it in the long haul. You sure won't find out until you put iin the time. Simple suggestion: Don't leave town before the miracle hits!!

As far as I know this isn't a race and there is only one finish line that I am aware of that sooner or later we will all have to cross. (And, for all I know, that finish line might be just another starting gate!)

I once lamented to a teacher--for whom I have so much respect--that I had regrets about having taken up the music so late in life--in my early fifties, in fact. I was feeling real sorry for myself for what I had "lost" between the age of 9--when I knew how to read music--and the age of 52, when I took it up again. Then he told me the story of a man who took up this music well into his seventies!!

I know that the endeavor has enriched my life. I'm still looking for a session that fits me--not too basic, not too advanced. Build what you have to build and the rest will fall into place. That is my belief.

All of this is IMHO and based on my experience only.

Tom D.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I think that is a difficult question. Some people might listen to me and say I sound good or maybe even very good but if I listen to myself I sound like crap. I was discussing this with a person who's opinion I really respect and he said that I will have this feeling for a very long time until I get to a point where I accept my playing and go with it.

It's a very difficult question and it dpends on what you're aiming for. If you want to get to a level to play reasonably well in session and not bore and piss everyone off it takes about 5-10 years. If you want to sound like freaking Martin Byrnes or Paddy Carty it will take a lifetime and you may never even get there.
No I'm not returning...
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: how long to get 'good'?

Post by anniemcu »

greg wrote:im intrested in how long it took others to feel reasonable good at playing the whistle
I agree with the others, and will add that it also depends largely on the ears that are listening as well. Those who already know Irish Whistle, or whistle music in general, are going to be a bit harder to please/impress than those who do not. That said, if folks are actually enjoying listening to you, how wrong can that be?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

exactly 23 months, 5 weeks, 4 days, 11 hours, 2 minutes and 42 seconds.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Chiffed

Never too late or early

Post by Chiffed »

I worked with a group of mentally challenged youths last week, playing hand drums and singing. They were good.
I know they were good because there were tears in my eyes.

I pray that some day I will be that good.[/u]
Denny

Post by Denny »

alespa wrote:exactly 23 months, 5 weeks, 4 days, 11 hours, 2 minutes and 42 seconds.
optimist! :D