CP: Introducing the Black Diamond/Offical Web Site

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StewySmoot »

Teri-K wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:
Teri-K wrote: You may get more satisfaction from holding your head over a toilet and inhaling deeply than bringing your stirring stick to the board for a thrill. Snide comments purely for the sake of provocation? What's the point.
The point? "Soccer_moms" (and "NASCAR-dads") are the zealots of the world, and now you are going to start seeing them en masse defend their POV by whatever means in this thread which has gotten ridiculously out of proportion.

It is amazing that here some people will display petty intolerance, when in the Post-Structural forum the same people have the cure for all that ills the world.
I might have attempted to buy into that had I not seen your original response to Jessie's post.
My original post only said "consider the source" was written but not posted until after Jessie posted. I am having my morning coffee, after all. It was directed to slowair regarding the source of the negative comments.
I deleted it since it was no longer in context.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

susnfx wrote:
Teri-K wrote:I might have attempted to buy into that had I not seen your original response to Jessie's post.
heehee...Stewy's have trouble getting to his delete button fast enough this morning. He missed it a few times yesterday, too. You might consider hitting "preview" first, Stewy, and think about it before hitting "submit." People do see those posts, you know.

Susan
Touche
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

talasiga wrote:Seeing as Peter's first comment here was not aimed at one site but in "general" I have created a topic here at the C&F pub where Mary and her little lamb AND anyone else, including Clare and her Monty, can go and discuss GENERALLY the merits of sound clips on makers' websites.
Spreading the joy, as it were.

Jeez, I go off of the Forum for a day and.......

No ice cream for ANYBODY tonight. Except mebbe Wisely, but he's chokin' out in the garage.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

StewySmoot wrote:
You may get more satisfaction from holding your head over a toilet and inhaling deeply than bringing your stirring stick to the board for a thrill.
My original post only said "consider the source" was written but not posted until after Jessie posted. I am having my morning coffee, after all. It was directed to slowair regarding the source of the negative comments.
Ah. My apologies then for misinterpreting the target of your snide remark.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Teri-K wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:
You may get more satisfaction from holding your head over a toilet and inhaling deeply than bringing your stirring stick to the board for a thrill.
None required.
I am still trying to come up with a "soccer_moms" explanation for Hiro!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Teri-K wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:
You've gotta be quick. The targets and the jibes tend change while you're composing your reply. :roll:
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I'm on my way to the store. Please, can I get ice cream? Whatever I did, I promise not to do it again.

Best wishes,
Jerry
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, okay, Jerry. You weren't the instigator, after all. :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Weekenders wrote:Well, okay, Jerry. You weren't the instigator, after all. :lol:
As Elvis Costello said:

Blame it on Cain,
Don't blame it on me,
It's nobody's fault,
It just seems to be his turn.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

DaleWisely wrote:Oh Holy Cow.

I'm thinking about taking up cigarette smoking. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Dale

Maybe these would be suitable.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

DaleWisely wrote:Oh Holy Cow.

I'm thinking about taking up cigarette smoking. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Dale
Pot is better for you, and it helps one accept
threads like these. Unfortunately it's illegal,
so don't inhale!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Music
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

slowair wrote:
Azalin wrote:About the sound clips, I don't think it has anything to do with style. It's the crude playing of a beginner, with no depth in the technique. Which means that it's really hard to hear what the whistle can really do when it's played a little faster, with some octave switching and ornaments. I found out that some whistles are more sensitive to some ornaments and not as stable under more aggressive playing. Having a good musician who can has good control of breath pressure and technique would give me a better idea of what the whistle can do and can sound like if you can play the thing.

I'm not trying to put slowair down for fun, I just don't see from a business strategy point of view why the maker didnt send the whistle to some advanced whistle player and kindly ask for a few clips (and feedback!), this is what I would have done.

Also, I heard the "I will play the style I want" sentence so many times. I don't understand why you would play the whistle like a recorder if you could actually play on a recorder. I mean, if you're going to tongue every note and sound like a midi file, at least do it on a recorder, on which it's easier to play in "foreign" keys and might be better tuned. Dance music, like irish music, is meant to have a lift in it, some swing that makes people want to dance on it. I don't get it. If I love Bethoven that much, I'm going to learn classical music and play it the way it was meant to be played, I won't try to play Bethoven with rolls and cuts as a reel.
This whole thread could have been easily avoided if those who had a complaint contacted the owner of the business, instead of publicly critizing the offered sound clips.
How a person plays a whistle is how THEY play a whistle. If you don't like it, don't listen.
Perhaps my way of playing whistle is crude to you, but I believe your comments will come across as crude to far more.
Some people seem to forget that just because others appear in black and white print before you, that there are human beings on the other end and that they have feelings very capable of being hurt by your comments.
I'd say more, but my grandmother always told me that if you didn't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
This has been a real learning experience.
I think, slowair, that you are missing half of what happened here: If you go back and actually read Peter's initial post, you'll notice that he took pains not to make it personal and specifically did not criticize you for playing in a non-traditional way ("which is all fine..." or something he said). You on the other hand went off thinking "it's all all about me," when it wasn't. You had it in your hand not to respond or to respond graciously to the point Peter made: how much can/should a sound clip tell you?
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Never mind Bloomfield: in this, the other and the other thread again plus half a dozen PM threads I have explained and explained again what the motivation was and some just don't seem to want to know. Even James P has dug up the old battleaxe. So be it, the board has to go through the motions every now and again.

Had nice tunes in Feakle yesterdayafternoon with Peter Horan, Jackie Daly and Gerry Harrington which gave me great lift and for he moment I can't be too bothered about all this. :wink: Just let the thread die.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Peter Laban wrote:Never mind Bloomfield.
Yeah, you're right. :) Nevermind, then.
/Bloomfield