CP: Introducing the Black Diamond/Offical Web Site

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

About the sound clips, I don't think it has anything to do with style. It's the crude playing of a beginner, with no depth in the technique. Which means that it's really hard to hear what the whistle can really do when it's played a little faster, with some octave switching and ornaments. I found out that some whistles are more sensitive to some ornaments and not as stable under more aggressive playing. Having a good musician who can has good control of breath pressure and technique would give me a better idea of what the whistle can do and can sound like if you can play the thing.

I'm not trying to put slowair down for fun, I just don't see from a business strategy point of view why the maker didnt send the whistle to some advanced whistle player and kindly ask for a few clips (and feedback!), this is what I would have done.

Also, I heard the "I will play the style I want" sentence so many times. I don't understand why you would play the whistle like a recorder if you could actually play on a recorder. I mean, if you're going to tongue every note and sound like a midi file, at least do it on a recorder, on which it's easier to play in "foreign" keys and might be better tuned. Dance music, like irish music, is meant to have a lift in it, some swing that makes people want to dance on it. I don't get it. If I love Bethoven that much, I'm going to learn classical music and play it the way it was meant to be played, I won't try to play Bethoven with rolls and cuts as a reel.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

you're in the wrong thread fred
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
slowair

Post by slowair »

Azalin wrote:About the sound clips, I don't think it has anything to do with style. It's the crude playing of a beginner, with no depth in the technique. Which means that it's really hard to hear what the whistle can really do when it's played a little faster, with some octave switching and ornaments. I found out that some whistles are more sensitive to some ornaments and not as stable under more aggressive playing. Having a good musician who can has good control of breath pressure and technique would give me a better idea of what the whistle can do and can sound like if you can play the thing.

I'm not trying to put slowair down for fun, I just don't see from a business strategy point of view why the maker didnt send the whistle to some advanced whistle player and kindly ask for a few clips (and feedback!), this is what I would have done.

Also, I heard the "I will play the style I want" sentence so many times. I don't understand why you would play the whistle like a recorder if you could actually play on a recorder. I mean, if you're going to tongue every note and sound like a midi file, at least do it on a recorder, on which it's easier to play in "foreign" keys and might be better tuned. Dance music, like irish music, is meant to have a lift in it, some swing that makes people want to dance on it. I don't get it. If I love Bethoven that much, I'm going to learn classical music and play it the way it was meant to be played, I won't try to play Bethoven with rolls and cuts as a reel.
This whole thread could have been easily avoided if those who had a complaint contacted the owner of the business, instead of publicly critizing the offered sound clips.
How a person plays a whistle is how THEY play a whistle. If you don't like it, don't listen.
Perhaps my way of playing whistle is crude to you, but I believe your comments will come across as crude to far more.
Some people seem to forget that just because others appear in black and white print before you, that there are human beings on the other end and that they have feelings very capable of being hurt by your comments.
I'd say more, but my grandmother always told me that if you didn't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
This has been a real learning experience.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Not by land
Not by sea
But by internet
For the goat of thee

copyright :party:
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Slowair,

I thought your playing was fine. You'd be welcome in our sessions anytime you might happen to be in the area!

I wouldn't worry any more about negative comments from the board. They are going to happen anytime someone has the guts to try to use their playing for anything real.

Just keep on keepin' on. What is said about your playing on the boards has absolutely zero impact in the real world.

Play how you play, and enjoy your music!

--James
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

slowair wrote:Some people seem to forget that just because others appear in black and white print before you, that there are human beings on the other end and that they have feelings very capable of being hurt by your comments.
I'd say more, but my grandmother always told me that if you didn't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
I find this surprising, in light of the fact that you called me for whistle advice and then proceeded to put me down and make fun of me for having posted personal pictures on the forum.

I do think sound clips make or break a sale. When I heard Blayne Chastain's recording of the Lon Dubh, I knew I had to have one. When I heard this recent recording of the Black Diamond (and I didn't know who had recorded it), I knew I didn't need one.
~JessieD
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Time to bring in the Soccer_Moms
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

StewySmoot wrote:Time to bring in the Soccer_Moms
You may get more satisfaction from holding your head over a toilet and inhaling deeply than bringing your stirring stick to the board for a thrill. Snide comments purely for the sake of provocation? What's the point.
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

slowair wrote: Perhaps my way of playing whistle is crude to you, but I believe your comments will come across as crude to far more.
Yes, it will. It's always been like that. Alas, I prefer to live in a world where truths are said, even if it's about me. I think that when you post clips online and then mix the stuff with Chiff & Fipple, you should be able to face the music. Some can't, and see people like me as evil beings unleashed on Chiff to wreak havoc. That's a good way to react, when you're not ready to realize things about your own playing.

By the way I think you did a good job with the website, the information is easy to get and it works well, for a whistle site anyway.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Oh Holy Cow.

I'm thinking about taking up cigarette smoking. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Dale
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Teri-K wrote:
You may get more satisfaction from holding your head over a toilet and inhaling deeply than bringing your stirring stick to the board for a thrill. Snide comments purely for the sake of provocation? What's the point.
The point? "Soccer_moms" (and "NASCAR-dads") are the zealots of the world, and now you are going to start seeing them en masse defend their POV by whatever means in this thread which has gotten ridiculously out of proportion.

It is amazing that here some people will display petty intolerance, when in the Post-Structural forum the same people have the cure for all that ills the world.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

The Soccer_Moms.....hmm...sounds like something to do with an election campaign. I once heard that they disappeared in the U.S.A.
I have no idea whats behind this words but interesting,at least I could understand something out of them heh, a real thrill of being a curious foreigner. :)

P.S. Alright now I am supposed to know something more. :roll:
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

StewySmoot wrote:
Teri-K wrote:
The point? "Soccer_moms" (and "NASCAR-dads") are the zealots of the world, and now you are going to start seeing them en masse defend their POV by whatever means in this thread which has gotten ridiculously out of proportion.

It is amazing that here some people will display petty intolerance, when in the Post-Structural forum the same people have the cure for all that ills the world.
I might have attempted to buy into that had I not seen your original response to Jessie's post.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

DaleWisely wrote:Oh Holy Cow.

I'm thinking about taking up cigarette smoking. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Dale
Well, you could do that or you could use the money to buy your way to the next level.

Susan
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Teri-K wrote:I might have attempted to buy into that had I not seen your original response to Jessie's post.
heehee...Stewy's have trouble getting to his delete button fast enough this morning. He missed it a few times yesterday, too. You might consider hitting "preview" first, Stewy, and think about it before hitting "submit." People do see those posts, you know.

Susan