It's raining, it's pouring....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Turtle wrote:Can ya maybe send some o that rain my way, I'd surely appreciate it.
Iraq's startin to get a wee bit dusty.

Thanks
Turtle
Think you can bottle a little "hot and dry" and send it to me next February?

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Turtle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Turtle »

Piece o' cake, I carry hot air wherever I go.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: It's raining, it's pouring....

Post by s1m0n »

Tyler Morris wrote: When I lived in Vancouver, B.C., we had a large rainy season (sometimes accompanied by fog) and we had a lot of what we called "grey days," so whenever it rains or we have overcast days I get really homesick for Vancouver.
Vancouver has had three weeks in a row of sun. We're starting to get nervous. Yesterday my roommate said "I want it to rain."

Rain here isn't like rain in Ontario. It's almost always gentler, and is much less unpleasant than inland rain.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: It's raining, it's pouring....

Post by Tyler »

s1m0n wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: When I lived in Vancouver, B.C., we had a large rainy season (sometimes accompanied by fog) and we had a lot of what we called "grey days," so whenever it rains or we have overcast days I get really homesick for Vancouver.
Vancouver has had three weeks in a row of sun. We're starting to get nervous. Yesterday my roommate said "I want it to rain."

Rain here isn't like rain in Ontario. It's almost always gentler, and is much less unpleasant than inland rain.
I remember once we had four weeks without rain...they called it a drought. being from the desert I found it humourus...we can go an entire year without precipitation in the most extreme.
I found it very cool that no one has sprinkler systems up there...they just rely on the rain!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

We could use some rain too right now. We have been spending about $90 a day just to run the irrigation system to water the "grass" for the cows to graze! :o

When the rain gets to the edge of the mountain, it dissipates before it can cross over to our side of the mountain. :roll:

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

chattiekathy wrote:We could use some rain too right now. We have been spending about $90 a day just to run the irrigation system to water the "grass" for the cows to graze! :o

When the rain gets to the edge of the mountain, it dissipates before it can cross over to our side of the mountain. :roll:

Kathy
It's coming Kathy!! I'm sending it your way as I type :lol: The big downpour from this morning is now over, and you should get it sometime this afternoon, I'd think.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Thank you Izz! :D I'll be watching for it!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flyingcursor wrote:When I lived in Irving Texas it used to rain sometimes.
It also rained when I lived in Duluth Minnesota and Meridian Mississippi.
Once I got drenched in Ft. Lauderdale. Narrowly missed getting wet once in Key West. I believe it rained when I lived in Denison Iowa and a few times in Portsmouth Virginia. Now in Oakland CA it would sometimes rain, but it precipitates here in Kalamazoo Michigan. I don't recall much rain in San Diego. Did I mention the rain in Midland TX? Flash flood weather it was.
What an amazing coincidence! It rained here just the other evening.

I love grey days. They seem gentle to me. Around these parts everyone else seems to think overcast skies suck and they go around talking about how depressed they are by them. I don't get it.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Well... the post may be considered useless, but the rain would be soooooo welcomed here... we're nearly 10 inches low!!! You can't even *think* about burning anything! and the tent catepillars are gloating about that. Imowed the chickory yesterday, as the grass was mostly gone, but the weeds are taking it in stride. It's just too darned dry!!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

We're actually a bit above normal for precip in Spokane for the year - 10.07 inches since Jan 1 when normal is 9.82 inches. Had a couple of thunderstorms in July that put us over average.

But hey, it's August in the Inland Empire! It's supposed to be hot and dry! Next rain will probably be around Labor Day, then a whole week in the second week of September, just in time for the Fair. Unless the rain gods find out we plan to go camping the weekend of Aug 20-21, in which case it will rain that weekend. :)

"Spokane" means "children of the sun."
Charlene
Zax

memories of rain....

Post by Zax »

Flyingcursor wrote:When I lived in Irving Texas it used to rain sometimes.
It also rained when I lived in Duluth Minnesota and Meridian Mississippi.
Once I got drenched in Ft. Lauderdale. Narrowly missed getting wet once in Key West. I believe it rained when I lived in Denison Iowa and a few times in Portsmouth Virginia. Now in Oakland CA it would sometimes rain, but it precipitates here in Kalamazoo Michigan. I don't recall much rain in San Diego. Did I mention the rain in Midland TX? Flash flood weather it was.
I don't remember it raining in nebraska. iowa had respectable, but unobtrusive rain. i recall minnesota had nice, hearty rain with plenty of gusto. the East Coast's rain was either too brief, or merely a slurry before the hail. Rain in Berkeley seems to be twice a year, and forgotten before it's finished. all in all, nothing like back home...

in st thomas, the rain starts promptly at 3pm, right as schools let out. tropical rain is so heavy, you can't see individual droplets or even streaks- only walls of falling water. like a giant bucket being upended all at once, but continuing on for an hour. the difference between northern rain and tropical rain is the difference between standing in your bathroom shower and standing under a waterfall. the term "drenching" applies. in a matter of seconds you are completely soaked from head to toe.
*reminiscing*
back in 9th grade, the moment the final bell rang, the boys would dart out of the schoolyard to get the best seats, perching in small groups on the stoops of buildings along the street. They would sit there, elbowing each other and nodding knowingly as the girls streamed by unaware- intent only on getting to the park at the end of the road.

We girls, being innocent as we were, took a while to figure out that the boys were lining up to get a view of us as we walked home- a herd of young women in our parochial uniforms of plaid skirts and white blouses....that is, the blouses were white until the rain would start... after that, they were WET white blouses... a show many teenaged boys would give an arm and a leg to see. :oops: all they were missing was popcorn.

as i said, it took us a while to figure out what they were up to... but when we did, we got them back by offering them hot chocolate laced with cayenne pepper. :devil: THAT was a show worth seeing!

~Z
Aim for Deep Focus.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: memories of rain....

Post by anniemcu »

Zax wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:... (edited to remove bulk of answered post) ... *reminiscing*
back in 9th grade, the moment the final bell rang, the boys would dart out of the schoolyard to get the best seats, perching in small groups on the stoops of buildings along the street. They would sit there, elbowing each other and nodding knowingly as the girls streamed by unaware- intent only on getting to the park at the end of the road.

We girls, being innocent as we were, took a while to figure out that the boys were lining up to get a view of us as we walked home- a herd of young women in our parochial uniforms of plaid skirts and white blouses....that is, the blouses were white until the rain would start... after that, they were WET white blouses... a show many teenaged boys would give an arm and a leg to see. :oops: all they were missing was popcorn.

as i said, it took us a while to figure out what they were up to... but when we did, we got them back by offering them hot chocolate laced with cayenne pepper. :devil: THAT was a show worth seeing!

~Z
:lol: :lol: :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
chattiekathy

Post by chattiekathy »

Hey Izz, :D

We finally got it yesterday and today! 4 whole inches!!! We're hoping for more! :D

Cheers,
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

chattiekathy wrote:Hey Izz, :D

We finally got it yesterday and today! 4 whole inches!!! We're hoping for more! :D

Cheers,
YAY!!! It's about time! I swear, you just can't rely on the weather to get there in a timely manner when you send it anymore! :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chattiekathy

Post by chattiekathy »

izzarina wrote:
chattiekathy wrote:Hey Izz, :D

Cheers,
YAY!!! It's about time! I swear, you just can't rely on the weather to get there in a timely manner when you send it anymore! :wink:
Ain't that the truth!!! :roll:

Cheers,