Should I or Shouldn't I (Advice Requested from this Forum)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Should I or Shouldn't I (Advice Requested from this Forum)

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have played whistle for a little over three years now, specifically low whistles. For some strange reason I find myself drawn to the Uilleann Pipe and I love the sound (some call it noise, but not I).

My question to the forum is: Would it be foolish for a guy my age (41) to invest in a set of pipes and I need to know how hard are they to play. I know that they are much more difficult than the whistle, but considering I play the lows about 1 to 2 hours daily.....I would have time to practice.

If I were convinced that they would be worth the investment, I would at this point sell all my whistles (except a couple) to gather the funds needed.

So should I or Shouldn't I?

Thanking you inadvance for the advice.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Well, Keith, if you think you may have the bug, you really ought to attend one or more tionols, especially some of the bigger, very very pipe-intensive ones like the east coast tionol or the vermont piper's gathering. The west coast events - Southern California, San Francisco, and Seattle are all terrific as well. Saint Louis is closer to you, but the piper turn out is low in comparison to the others I mentioned; still you might get a chance to hear some nice music and see what's involved. Just go and take a look and a listen and see if you want to do it. It will be time and money well spent.
maw

Post by maw »

Keith, you've obviously been bitten by the bug :moreevil: Go on and get them, I started at 44 and had plenty of time to practice too. I also played other instruments including whistles but I admit they have taken a bit of a back seat, I'm just getting back into my whistles after 2 1/2 years although my other instruments have long gone.
It IS worth it and you'll never be satisfied till you've done it.
All the Best
Mark :party:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
djm

Post by djm »

The trick is to attend a piping event as Pat has suggested, buy a piper lots of beers and, once you suspect he is unprepared, ask to try his pipes in a very sweet and beguiling way (chocolate covered dancing girls would help at this point). You don't need/want to try a full set, just a beginner's set or half set would do, so you can get a chance to give them a squeeze and find out what its like.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Making the commitment to learn the pipes is like making a commitment to get a PhD -- you have to be persistent and dedicated, willing to work hard, and not be easily frustrated. And you've got to really love the sound; that love will carry you through the hard bits.

One of the biggest differences between the pipes and the whistle is that you can pick up the whistle and it'll play, whereas with the pipes you are frequently spending time just getting the instrument into a state in which it can be played. I think that's the main reasons why so many beginning pipers give up after a while...the instrument itself is not all that hard to learn to play, compared with something like the fiddle; it's more the issues with reeds and tuning, etc. that you have to deal with.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Go for it Kieth, I didn't get started until 40. Sure, they're difficult at first, but that is half of the joy... the cool little discoveries just around every corner you take with them. Eventually you will get used to the coordination required to play them.

To echo Mr. Cannady, attending a tionol featuring the pipes and giving them a listening to up close and in person is the best way to get started. I have no doubt that someone will let you strap on a set, and when you do, your journey to the 'Dark Side' will be complete. :D

There are good pipers in your neck of the woods (some of whom contribute to this board), and I am certain that they would be willing to help you out with pointers and such. Good luck, and happy hunting.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

One thing that carries me through as a relative newb is reading this forum. It's nice to know that all my troubles with the instrument are shared by others.
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Certainly don't let your age be a factor. I started when I was 43, and there are many others here who started even older than that.
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
piperman07

Post by piperman07 »

I wouldn't let your age figure in this, I just turned 42 and I am just starting.
I have been playing GHB for about 2 years, but this is something that I always wanted to do, even more so.

I still play the GHB and now the UP. I say go for it!!!! :D

Steve
...... I got nothin'....
Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

Did you try the instrument from a friend?
There is no special year (age) to start a musical instrument the only thing you need is to "realy want to do it".
Let's go!
Musicalement,
Sylvain

E.mail : cronan.srATwandadoo.fr (replace AT with @)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Ailin wrote:Certainly don't let your age be a factor. I started when I was 43, and there are many others here who started even older than that.
Peter Browne was on television (on The Raw Bar) saying that if you haven't started the pipes by 18 you'll be struggling with them forever, never being able to really make a fist of them, an evelasting unsatisfying thing.

Not that I would completely agree with him, age can be a factor. I know many people who started at later age, I know someone who started at 80. The question is ofcourse what do you want out of playing them, where do you want to take them and all things considered will you be able to?
Jim McGuire

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I (Advice Requested from this Foru

Post by Jim McGuire »

KDMARTINKY wrote:If I were convinced that they would be worth the investment, I would at this point sell all my whistles (except a couple)
That's a lot of whistles you must have on hand. The jump is huge from what you are doing to what you are considering. I'd also consider what it would take you to get some quality instruction. Finding an easy-to-play instrument would be first but someone to get you grounded with the proper instruction would be a close second.

If you buy a decent instrument and it doesn't work out, it would be fairly straighforward to get your 'investment' back.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I got my practice set at age 54 and the class I took at Swannanoa had a beginning student aged 76.

Go for the dark side!

Never buy a cheap tinwhistle. They are gateway drugs to much more expensive drugs such as ulleann bagpipes and woodenflutes... :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Age doesn't really factor into it, especially if you are passionate about the instrument. Passion is a powerful thing, and it is surprising what it will allow one to accomplish. Take up the pipes because you want to learn how to play them and because they make you happy. You already have a background in whistles and that is mighty helpful knowledge to have when going into piping... sure doesn't hurt.
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Age factors into everything. When you're young, you're typically bursting with energy, difficult to discourage (even if it's only because you're too dumb to know when your playing is sh*t) and don't have many time-consuming responsibilites. That all adds up to lots and lots of practice. Practice usually makes your playing better.

That being said, when you're older you typically have more money hanging around, so you can buy something really good to get started on. Bottom line is, you might as well scratch the itch or you'll always wonder.