Canadians: New GG

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Canadians: New GG

Post by OnTheMoor »

Thoughts? Not that it is terribly exciting, but it is a new face. And it will be nice to see a young child living at the Hall.

Will it help the federalist cause at all in Quebec or simply stop the spread of seperatism? It will certainly piss off the seperatists. An immigrant from Quebec? I'd expect the racism among that group to become more pronounced.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

She takes a nice picture that's for sure.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

:boggle: You're not allowed to have those feelings for the Governor General!!!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

My impression is that she's quite popular in Quebec. I became a big fan of hers just from watching her anchor the news on Radio-Canada; she is very poised and professional but not emotionally removed and she connects with people she's talking with. She's perfectly bilingual (okay, she speaks five languages!), articulate, intelligent, and compassionate. I never would have expected her name to come up for this job, but now that she's been chosen it feels like the perfect choice. After she stopped being a newsanchor she had a French newsmagazine on Radio-Canada TV as well as the English ones on CBC. I think she's great.
djm

Post by djm »

That's two in a row. Is this a coincidence, or a trend? I wonder if the Governor Generalship has become slated to be a post for female TV personalities (?). Previously it was supposed to represent a posting of the highest level of statesmanship. What is it becoming now?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Not having a Governor General in the U.S., would you please explain to us Americans exactly what a Governor General is/does?

Susan
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

djm, I know what you're thinking. The Jesse Ventura/Schwarzenegger tendency. But tell me, who in Canada would you say exemplifies the highest level of statesmanship today? Come to think of it, who anywhere in the world...

I think our present GG has done a very good job and if you have to go outside the ranks of retired politicians to whom the PM owes a favour to find someone to do such a job, that's fine with me.

Susan, the GG is the queen's representative in Canada. Lieutenant if you like. Does all the stuff that the queen would do if she were here.

She can even theoretically sack the government, cf. the extraordinary crisis in Australia in 1975 (?) when the GG scandalously dismissed Gough Whitlam's labour government. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... is_of_1975
Last edited by StevieJ on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

She's / He's the Queen in Canada. More or less. Other than that, I guess they fly around to all sorts of places and spend tax money.

Yeah, I'm not so sure myself. Simon?
djm

Post by djm »

The Governor General is the Queen's representative in Canada at the federal level. At the provincial level we have lieutenant governors. He/she formally opens and closes sessions of parliament, gets called in to sign off on some laws, but nowadays mostly acts as a goodwill ambasador.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

NicoMoreno wrote:She's / He's the Queen in Canada. More or less. Other than that, I guess they fly around to all sorts of places and spend tax money.

Yeah, I'm not so sure myself. Simon?
No, the *representative* of the queen. As far as I know she just signs off on things on the queen's behalf and gives out an award.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The US rolls two the job of being head of state and the job of being head of the government into one office, the presidency.

However, many other systems--including all parliamentary systems--divide these tasks up. In some places (Ireland and Israel) there's an elected president with largely ceremonial powers who presides over a government headed by a prime minister who has most real power. Typically the head of state is the office charge with one primary responsibility--to guard against tyranny. They have the power to sign (or refuse to sign) all laws, and to dismiss the government upon extraordinary cause. Apart from these rarely used but crucial costitutional responsibilities, the head of state mostly does "goodwill" type things--reading to kindergarten classes about pet goats, etc, opening large sporting events, handing out awards, and going to funerals.

In westminster-type governments, the queen does these things. Here and in australia, it's an appointed task.

The chief advantage is that it avoids the confusion that exists in US politics over the fact that the president has to be both the symbolic "good father" AND good at governing. Often presidents--Bush is a prime example--get picked because the voters think they'll be good at the former, not the latter. It's also why president's personal lives get scrutinized to such a degree, because they're daddy. It's why half the electorate got so mad a Clinton. In parliamentary systems, the prime minister is allowed all the blowjobs he can handle.

Parliamentary systems tend to treat their PMs with a lot less automatic respect. He's a guy who works for us and we expect he's not much less of an idiot up there than anyone else. We're equals. Presidents aren't really equal because they're head of state.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

For more information, visit:

http://www.gg.ca/menu_e.asp
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thanks Simon.

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Oh, and fiddler, I realize the GG is a "representative". I've heard similar phrases being said about most anything, ie that a representative is the thing it's representing, here. It's a bit of humour. So, that's why I put it the way I did. Regional dialect I guess.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

s1m0n wrote:...the prime minister is allowed all the blowjobs he can handle.
Can I be PM? :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

NicoMoreno wrote: Oh, and fiddler, I realize the GG is a "representative". I've heard similar phrases being said about most anything, ie that a representative is the thing it's representing, here.
We say "she's the queen's represenative in Canada" as if that means something, but although ti's true enought, I don't think it means much. Really, the GG is the people's representative in ottawa--the person who embodies the fact that the government works for us, not the otehr way round.

It keeps our governments humble.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis