Passports to go to Canada????

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IRTradRU?
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IRTradRU? »

Man carried 450 fake passports
03/08/2005 10:35 - (SA)

Bangkok - A British man of Algerian origin was arrested early on Wednesday at Bangkok's international airport for trying to smuggle more than 450 forged European passports out of Thailand, police said.

The suspect, identified as Mahieddine Daikh, 35, was nabbed as he tried to board a China Airlines flight bound for Amsterdam with the fake Belgian, French, Portuguese and Spanish documents, according to police.

"At first we found 138 forged passports in his carry-on bag. Then we found another 314 in his checked luggage," police Colonel Chanatpol Yongbanjerd, chief of the airport's immigration command, told AFP.

The man was en route to Scotland, Chanatpol said.

During an initial investigation, the suspect said he bought the forged passports on Thailand's resort island of Samui, where a French woman was arrested in June for selling stolen French passports.

Chanatpol said he did not believe the statement.

The European Union has accused Thailand of being a hub for document forgery.

Briton Hamdi Isaac, a suspect in the attempted July 21 bombings in London, was arrested in Italy with false identity documents.

In January, Thai authorities arrested a Bangladeshi man accused of providing a fake passport to top Asian terror suspect Hambali, who was captured in Thailand in 2003.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News ... 60,00.html
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, I know....just give up and yield to the transdermal implant (New World Industries, 666 Apocalypse Drive, Megiddo, Il)... but even then, someone with access to the database could substitute your info, then the authorities would tell you that "you weren't you." An original plot line to a sci-fi I will never actually write.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Teri-K, I have no idea where my marriage license is--do you know how much digging it's going to take to find that? I do happen to know where my birth certificate is, thank goodness. And a certified copy? Who makes those and how much do they get for signing something for someone they don't even know? The form? I'll probably have to go to Des Moines to get it and then go back to Des Moines to turn it in. And the photos, where am I going to get those? I assume they have to be just exactly some certain size down to the millimeter or they won't work. This could take me months. :lol:
You need a particular type of birth certificate ("certified") issued by the state of your birth. Florida charges $9. I just got mine after waiting a month. (They sent it all back because they wanted a photocopy of the back of my driver's license, as well as the front. :roll: )

If you were born in Iowa, go here: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/eh/health_statistics.asp. A copy of your marriage license is available, as well.

Lots of places do the photos. If you have AAA membership, they will do it. If you have AAA Plus, they'll do them for free. Some passport offices do them, too.

Just search for "passport" on the net and you'll get the State Department website explaining everything. It's very clear. The form is online and easy to fill out. Just follow the instructions, particularly about printing it so that the photo box is a particular size (2 inches x 2 inches).

The website will list all the passport offices for you. Clerks of Court and post offices, usually, and it will even tell you nearby locations for the photos.

Really, compared to filling out, oh, say, paperwork for a military security clearance, this is easy stuff. At least, I think so now.

A word of warning to you, though. Don't wear shiny eye shadow when you have the photos done. You remember that woman in Georgia who ran away right before her wedding? The "Runaway Bride?" Remember the pictures of her? Lunatic, staring goggle-eyes? Like a hyperthyroid on speed?

I achieved the same effect--exactly the same effect--and it appears to have been my eye shadow. It reflected the lights back into the camera, obliterating any contour around my eyes. They redid them 4 times to no avail. I'm going to have to go back without the offending cosmetic. :roll:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:"or the county. " :lol: :x :lol: :x :lol: :x

I mean I was only a few days old, how would I know what county the dang hospital was in? Oh, if I know the city of the hospital I guess then I can do huge amounts of research to find out the county it's in. It is only my love of going to Canada that would ever get me to attempt such a Herculean task as this---talk about cleaning out the Augean (or whatever they were called) stables.
Oh, goodness! You're getting all worked up about this!

You do not need to know what hospital! Look, Iowa has a handy-dandy telephone answer line for you!
To see information on how to obtain a copy of a certified record click on the appropriate link below:

How to request a certified record by phone
How to request a certified record by mail
How to request a certified record in person
I'm sure they'll be real nice to you, too. It'll be a pleasant experience and you'll enjoy it so much you'll be right sorry you only had one birth certificate to get.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

A particular TYPE of birth certificate????? :boggle: :o :boggle: :o :boggle: Now this is good news. Oh, yeah, okay, "certified" rings a bell.

Well, I don't wear eye shadow so just the dark shadows under my eyes will stand out I guess. I ain't paying to have them done again! Who cares what the customs agent thinks!!! We do have Triple A so maybe I can go there.
Lambchop wrote:I'm sure they'll be real nice to you, too. It'll be a pleasant experience and you'll enjoy it so much you'll be right sorry you only had one birth certificate to get.
Nice try, Lamby. :lol: You said yourself they sent all your darn stuff back for some little detail no normal person would even think of.

Okay, I'm bookmarking this whole thread so I'll have some idea where to start. Thanks for the tips. Uh, I'll start working on this real soon.

My husband just told me that when he got his passport he put down District of Columbia for his place of birth and they told him he had to do something different because he was born in a foreign country. :roll: He finally convinced them that it is the nation's capitol.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

This was in the news a couple of months ago and I was paniced about my husband and daughter's trip to Ontario and thought they would have to get passports right away. Then I got the details and they went off with their certified birth certificates, a letter from me saying I knew my daughter was with my husband and no he wasn't stealing her, and photo ID. They got into Canada ok and are scheduled back late tonight, and I haven't had any phone calls so I guess they made it through customs ok tonight. But we do need to get passports. Kid's prices are a bit cheaper but it's still expensive. I know if you prorate it out it's not bad but sometimes it's hard to come up with nearly $300 all at once - and we are a small family! Here in Spokane the passport office is in the county courthouse. And for a child's passport either both parents have to show up and sign the paperwork at the office or you have to bring a certified letter from the absent parent saying why they can't be there. Of course, being a government office, the hours are something like 8-4 M-F. Not easy for working people to get to.

I do like Canada, wish I could have gone on this trip (but couldn't get vacation since I just started a new job this spring), and I will jump through all the hoops to get the proper papers.

Now, if they start requiring that you show your papers to go across town, then we'll have problems.
Charlene
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Cynth wrote:My husband just told me that when he got his passport he put down District of Columbia for his place of birth and they told him he had to do something different because he was born in a foreign country. :roll: He finally convinced them that it is the nation's capitol.
:lol: Wonder if they passed the eddycational test.

I was living in Idaho on an internship when I applied for my first passport in 2002. I was born in a state that I hadn't lived in since I was 3. I looked up the state on the internet, using a site similar to this one to find the correct state department: http://www.vitalchek.com/

Gave them my information and a $10 payment and within a couple of weeks I had a fresh shiny birth certificate, the first one I've ever seen for myself (my vital records were lost when I was a kid. I even had to get a new Social Security card when I started job hunting.) Then I got the form for the passport from online, got the two necessary pictures, went to the Boise post office and applied. Paid the fee (actually two smaller fees making up the total, as one was for the processing and one was for something else), and they mailed it to my next address in New York, where it was waiting for me (along with my returned birth certificate) when I moved back to university.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Birth certificates make I giggle.

But I imagine they'll be really really important when the cloning of ewwman beings becomes commonplace and widespread.

(hands birth certificate to official) "See? See! I was born!"
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth, in the time it's taken to write all the above you could have found all of the details you'll ever need.

BTW, I didn't need my marriage certificate when I got mine.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:Cynth, in the time it's taken to write all the above you could have found all of the details you'll ever need.
But it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun . . . :D
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Cynth, in the time it's taken to write all the above you could have found all of the details you'll ever need.
But it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun . . . :D
Quite true.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

GaryKelly wrote:Birth certificates make I giggle.

But I imagine they'll be really really important when the cloning of ewwman beings becomes commonplace and widespread.

(hands birth certificate to official) "See? See! I was born!"
Just because it happened so long ago that no one you know can remember it, does not mean it diddn't happen! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

So.... now American Citizens will be required to have "papers"... and to show those "papers" to cross even the closest and friendliest of borders with countries we have had absolutely no trouble with/from, like Canada. Intersting twist for those of us who grew up being taught about the terrible controls other, nasty, "Communist", totalitarian governments held over their citizenry.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yes, that's true, but I would have had to get out of my chair, no? :wink:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

anniemcu wrote:So.... now American Citizens will be required to have "papers"... and to show those "papers" to cross even the closest and friendliest of borders with countries we have had absolutely no trouble with/from, like Canada. Intersting twist for those of us who grew up being taught about the terrible controls other, nasty, "Communist", totalitarian governments held over their citizenry.
A friend of mine went to renew his minnesota driver's license shortly (6 weeks) before he was scheduled to give up his minneapolis job and apartment and move back in with his parents, because he was donating a kidney to his mother and finances would be tight for all of them--he wouldn't be able to work for a couple of months, and he's actually on planning to marry my roommate and come to Vancouver after that.

SO after 5 weeks, he called them up to ask where his new drivers' license was. They told him that the wait for a new license was now TWENTY weeks, because every one had to undergo criminal record checks and be screened against police, FBI and "other" wanted and watch lists before a permenent card could be issued.

SO it's here--that's a de facto mandatory government identity document.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis