Is Mr. Tipple back?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is Mr. Tipple back?

Post by Congratulations »

His website doesn't have the message saying he's not taking orders:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Elife2all/d ... index.html
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, Doug is open for business! See his note here in this post:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=31051
~~~~
Barry
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I haven't been called Mr. Tipple since I was a high school teacher 20 years ago. Tipple is an easy name to mess around with, and the kids tried out every variation that they could think of. No one called me Fipple, though, because that was before the days of the internet and the now famous Chiff & Fipple. I chuckle when I think of the computer that I had in my classroom. If I wanted to do anything with it, I had to write a program in Basic, a language for computer idiots like myself, and tell it what to do. Otherwise all that you got was a prompt cursor. At least it was a PC. When I started college, I used a Bendix computer that ran on punched tape, pretty much like the old player pianos. I bet most of the people posting don't even remember the IBM punch cards that came next. If you got one punch wrong or a card out of place, you got a rejection notice from the computer operator and you had to try again the following day. I digress.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I didn't use computers but I do remember dropping a very large box of what I believe were punch cards that I was carrying for someone. She didn't hit me, actually she restrained herself quite well, but it was clear she would carry them herself in the future. I offered to help put them back in order but apparently I had done enough damage.
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Cynth wrote:I didn't use computers but I do remember dropping a very large box of what I believe were punch cards that I was carrying for someone. She didn't hit me, actually she restrained herself quite well, but it was clear she would carry them herself in the future. I offered to help put them back in order but apparently I had done enough damage.
Hopefully she had access to a card sorter machine.
William Bajzek
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

I remember the punch cards way back in high school. That is precisely why I had no interest in computers back then!!! As far as I was conerened, they were a BIG deterrent!
~~~~
Barry
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

monkey587 wrote:Hopefully she had access to a card sorter machine.
YOU MEAN THERE WAS SUCH A THING AS A CARD SORTER MACHINE?????

AAAARRRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Random notes wrote:

AAAARRRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger
ROTFLMAO
(from a college FORTRAN class dropout)

Welcome back, Mr. Whipple! ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Random notes wrote:

AAAARRRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger
Sheesh. I wasn't even born yet back then, and I know about card sorters.
William Bajzek
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Gee, I don't really know. :lol: She didn't mention a machine but perhaps there was. Maybe that's why she didn't actually hit me.
talasiga

flashback

Post by talasiga »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I haven't been called Mr. Tipple since I was a high school teacher 20 years ago. .....

:-? But ... but - don't you recall me calling you Mr Tipple last year after you hinted that it wasn't appropriate to call you Duggy Wuggy? Hmmm?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
djm

Post by djm »

During the big pre-millenium scare about computers not being able to handle the change to the year 2000 (00) a sudden surge of openings appeared for people who could still type into those tape and card punch machines. A lot of people came out of the woodwork and made some pretty decent coin for a little while. It struck me as interesting to see how such an obsolete ability should suddenly come back onto the market again.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

djm wrote:During the big pre-millenium scare about computers not being able to handle the change to the year 2000 (00) a sudden surge of openings appeared for people who could still type into those tape and card punch machines. A lot of people came out of the woodwork and made some pretty decent coin for a little while. It struck me as interesting to see how such an obsolete ability should suddenly come back onto the market again.

djm
Y2k Joke: A Cobal programmer wants to avoid Y2K, and has himself cryogenically frozen, to wake up centuries later, in the year 25,000, or something like that. Unfortunately, he is awakened early.

Cobal Programmer: Well, I'm not supposed to be awakened until the year 25,000. What's wrong?"
People who woke him: "It's the year 9999, and we heard that you know how to program in Cobal."

I hope that this comes across as funny as it was when I heard it, but I just can't tell jokes very well.... :roll:
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

Doug_Tipple wrote:...I bet most of the people posting don't even remember the IBM punch cards that came next. If you got one punch wrong or a card out of place, you got a rejection notice from the computer operator and you had to try again the following day. I digress.
I spent many a late night punching and sorting cards in the basement of the Math Science Building on the Purdue campus in W. Lafayette (just across the Wabash from Mr. Tipple's home in Lafayette, for those of you not versed in Indiana geography).
norseman

Post by norseman »

I worked with punch cards a little in high school, and then again in a computer security job I had while in the Air Force.

Always reminds me of the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons: "Fortunately, I have my feathers numbered for just such an emergency."

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.