mad avatars.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

mad avatars.

Post by flanum »

Dubhlinns avatar is of the joyce seat in drumcondra next to the canal, round the corner from my gaff. where are all the skangers and the empty cans of dutch gold in the picture??? i think this has been photoshopped. is it possible to photoshop the real thing please? :roll:

this post structural pub has given me an idea!!
Im headin to a pub!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Joyce?

Patrick Kavanagh!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Spot the difference.

James Joyce statue

Paddy Kavanagh statue

I hope you don't get lost on your way to the Pub.
When I'm in Drumcondra I usually go here

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Peter Laban wrote:Joyce?

Patrick Kavanagh!
Na... It's this guy
Woody Allen
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

My mother brought me back a calendar from her last trip to Dublin. Each month has a black and white photo of an Irish writer: Synge, Beckett, Joyce, Kavanagh O'Casey, etc. Except for the guys wearing hats, they all have very disheveled hair. Were there no combs back then? At least I can use them as an excuse for my own inattentiveness.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Too abstract, I like avatars that make sense!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Peter Laban wrote:Image
Patrick Kavanagh!
Looks like Geoffrey Rush...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

Or Woody Allen. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

TonyHiggins wrote:Except for the guys wearing hats, they all have very disheveled hair. Were there no combs back then?
Yeah, it's a phenomenon known as hat hair. When you take of your hat, your hair tends to be disheveled.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:Except for the guys wearing hats, they all have very disheveled hair. Were there no combs back then?
Yeah, it's a phenomenon known as hat hair. When you take of your hat, your hair tends to be disheveled.
It's the equivilant of today's "beard stubble" look. An affectation indicating a person too engrossed in <whatever> to worry about piddly things like hygene. I'm waiting for the "unbrushed teeth" look to become popular.

Here's a side question/thread jack. Why do the TV commercials depict guys with beard stubble yet absolutely no body hair? What's with the "smooth as a babies bottom" look?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Walden wrote:
It's the equivilant of today's "beard stubble" look. An affectation indicating a person too engrossed in <whatever> to worry about piddly things like hygene. I'm waiting for the "unbrushed teeth" look to become popular.

Here's a side question/thread jack. Why do the TV commercials depict guys with beard stubble yet absolutely no body hair? What's with the "smooth as a babies bottom" look?

It's to keep down the fallout on the set.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Men with no body hair are really ladyboys.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

oops kavanagh :oops:

Speaking of hair and canals, what about the "grand canal" look? Ie lock to lock(like a bobby charlton).

And i wouldnt bother with fagans, theres a danger of bumping into bertie. Id go to McGraths or Quinns.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
flanum

Post by flanum »

DOUBLE OOPS!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Its a statue of Brendan Behan on the royal canal in drumcondra that looks remarkable like the statue of Kavanagh.

My mistake
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Ive just done a bit of Googling and found out that the statue of Brendan Behan was unvieled after my last trip to Dublin so I have not seen that one yet. I would have put it all together had I known about it but I was baffled about how somebody could mistake the Kavanagh for anything else :wink:
I'm be over there at the end of September and I'll take a pic of the Brendan Behan - I can't find an image on Google.
Behan was born and reared not too far away from there so it all adds up now.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats