Scientists develop new swearword

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

jsluder wrote:Sci-fi TV shows have been inventing alternative swear words for years. Frak ("Oh, frak!"), frag ("Abso-fraggin-lutely!"), etc..
Don't forget "smeg"!

I think one of the best parts of the show Firefly was the swearing in Chinese.
It just sounded so angry, even though you didn't know what was being said.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

The most emphatic swearing I've ever heard was from a mental health counselor for adolescents. He was in the office doing paperwork and couldn't find a paper clip anywhere in the entire office. Finally, he slammed his hand down on the table and burst out with "Frickin' frack!" It sounded scandoulous.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

TonyHiggins wrote:The most emphatic swearing I've ever heard was from a mental health counselor for adolescents. He was in the office doing paperwork and couldn't find a paper clip anywhere in the entire office. Finally, he slammed his hand down on the table and burst out with "Frickin' frack!" It sounded scandoulous.
Tony
A folk band around here, affiliated to the local lifeboat, calls itself Friggin' Riggin'. When I were a lad oop north in t'60s that first word was regarded as a very naughty one indeed. :oops:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Darn,

I've used that word 'chud' before to describe someone I was unhappy with. I used it because it had no meaning - which is what that person was.

Now - It's ruined, someone discovered it. I hope they haven't defined brack yet.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

A folk band around here, affiliated to the local lifeboat, calls itself Friggin' Riggin'. When I were a lad oop north in t'60s that first word was regarded as a very naughty one indeed.
So, you say 'friggin' in the UK, and we say 'frickin' in the US. Clearly, it's the same word. My conscience does twinge a bit when I use it. Probably get you 10 minutes in Purgatory, I suppose.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey buddy, you get 20 minutes for creepin' me out with that aviator.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I've used that word 'chud' before to describe someone I was unhappy with. I used it because it had no meaning - which is what that person was.
Isn't it a type of fish?
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

TonyHiggins wrote:
A folk band around here, affiliated to the local lifeboat, calls itself Friggin' Riggin'. When I were a lad oop north in t'60s that first word was regarded as a very naughty one indeed.
So, you say 'friggin' in the UK, and we say 'frickin' in the US. Clearly, it's the same word. My conscience does twinge a bit when I use it. Probably get you 10 minutes in Purgatory, I suppose.
Tony
Funny you should say that. A harmonica-playing chap I know in San Diego has just sent me a message that includes "friggin'" - just like that (not directed at me I hasten to add). I've heard "frickin'" used as a euphemism for the word that "effin'" is a euphemism for. I try to avoid bl**dy euphemisms myself. :lol:

Steve

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Now I get it. Friggin' is the polite form of frickin', which is the euphemisim for the unmentionable, which doesn't really mean anything in these contexts. So, is friggin' a euphemism for frickin'? (I think I've accrued about 30 additional minutes in Purgatory.)
Tony
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

TonyHiggins wrote:Now I get it. Friggin' is the polite form of frickin', which is the euphemisim for the unmentionable, which doesn't really mean anything in these contexts. So, is friggin' a euphemism for frickin'? (I think I've accrued about 30 additional minutes in Purgatory.)
Tony
Frickin' and friggin' sound too similar for one to be the euphemism of the other. Reminds me in an odd way of a conversation I once had with my dad, who's called Jack - when I asked him if it was his real name he told me it was short for John! :D

Forget Purgatory Tony. I'll take a pair of rosary beads into church on a feast-day and spring you. B*gg*r it - let's all have a bl**dy good un-euphemistic sw**r! :lol:

Steve

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

fearfaoin wrote: Don't forget "smeg"!
Smeg was not a new swearword, but a shortening of the word smegma. You can look it up if you must.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Martin Milner wrote:
fearfaoin wrote: Don't forget "smeg"!
Smeg was not a new swearword, but a shortening of the word smegma. You can look it up if you must.
When we lived just outside London there was a restaurant in Woodford that we used to call the Smegma Grill - a slight corruption of its actual name. Never fancied eating there. Don't know why... :D

Steve

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:The most emphatic swearing I've ever heard was from a mental health counselor for adolescents. He was in the office doing paperwork and couldn't find a paper clip anywhere in the entire office. Finally, he slammed his hand down on the table and burst out with "Frickin' frack!" It sounded scandoulous.
Tony
A folk band around here, affiliated to the local lifeboat, calls itself Friggin' Riggin'. When I were a lad oop north in t'60s that first word was regarded as a very naughty one indeed. :oops:

Steve
Reminds me of an old Popeye episode where yer man is lying unconscious in the hold of a tall ship, and Brutus/Bluto/Whatever-the-chud-he-was-called was chasing Olive Oyl all around the ship, crawling after her out on a yardarm and saying, "Aww, c'mon, Olive, I wanna show you my riggings!" Absolutely true. I could not believe my ears.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Then there's Drokk! and Grud! and Grud on a Greenie! for the 200AD fans. (It's a Comic, if you really didn't know.)
But a colleague of mine used to make people blink when he said, from time to time
"Blinking Flip!"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Then there's Drokk! and Grud! and Grud on a Greenie! for the 200AD fans. (It's a Comic, if you really didn't know.)
But a colleague of mine used to make people blink when he said, from time to time
"Blinking Flip!"
Hey, your first post! Welcome to the board!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."