microphone recommendation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
piperdoc

microphone recommendation

Post by piperdoc »

need a suggestion for a good microphone for my computer- would prefer USB since i think i would get better sound. i tried the kind they have at the computer stores, but they are made for speaking and not music. i record with audacity on a high end laptop and export the files as mp3.

thanks

meir
viejomc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by viejomc »

How you connect to your sound card is really not an issue, you either have a quality signal at that point or you don't. Shure makes some quality dynamic mics, but I have no experience using any mic hooked up directly to the sound card. If you are serious about a good recording, then as always it will seriously put a dent in your wallet. I prefer to use a condenser mic, but the catch is they require phantom power. Any good mixer has phantom power. This is usually 48v. If you need more information on this route, PM me. I think. I'm new to this.
Viejomc
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Shure makes mic's just for instruments or vocal. The cheap instrument mic is about $130.00 and it is a number 81. It has its own power or can work with phantom power. I think it only comes with a XLR plug though. Their next best mic is about $300.00.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

yes, tony, exactly, from the looks of it. and the price is right too. do you have it or know someone who does? if anyone actually knows it, i would go for it. it cost more than some whistles i like. then again, so do my tunebooks.

thanks.

thanks, tommy. i went to the web site. it is awesome, but technically way out of my league. does sure make something like tony has suggested above?

meir
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Do usb mics actually use the soundcard in any way?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

vomitbunny wrote:Do usb mics actually use the soundcard in any way?
Yes.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Not USB, but some good ones. I use the ECM-DS70P with my minidsc, and like it a lot.

http://www.minidisco.com/single-point-stereo-mics.html
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
viejomc

Post by viejomc »

Boy! Am I behind the times or what? Tony, be sure to update us on the Samson mic if that is the route you take. We use a few wireless Samsons, both handheld and the very small and sensitive model that is supported by your ear and booms down to the side of your mouth. They are all excellent performers. This is the first USB mic I've seen. Maybe I should wake up before I wake up crying.
Viejomc
viejomc

Post by viejomc »

See what I mean. It's piperdoc looking for a mic, not Tony. This old age think is taking its toll on my brain function.
Viejomc
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

ah, but how do we know that tony is not drooling over that mic and considering it himself even as he recommends that i consider it? oh yes, drooling is another thread. anyway, the recommendations are all appreciated. tony's suggestion sounds the best because it has the dual atvantages that i can afford it and i understand it. i am not looking to go pro here. i bought a usb one for 14 bucks at comp usa and it sucks. if i can pay 99 and get a better result, that is a good start.

meir
Tony

Post by Tony »

No drool...
The $14 mic is strictly for voice. The $79 mic is a real recording mic.

I'm shopping for a USB headset/mic just for the convenience of not having to get behind the computer to plug it in.
Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall »

I concur with Shannon (fluti31415). I use the same mic (Sony stereo ECM-DS70P) for minidisc recording and recording to my laptop. Sensitive and decent quality for the bucks.
Rick
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Rick Hall wrote:I concur with Shannon (fluti31415). I use the same mic (Sony stereo ECM-DS70P) for minidisc recording and recording to my laptop. Sensitive and decent quality for the bucks.
Rick
I have one of these for my minidisk too. Will it have power if it's plugged in directly to the PC or is the connection more complex than that?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.