TO Gary Kelly- or He Who's Posts I Must Not Read

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IRTradRU?
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IRTradRU? »

TomB wrote:
IRTradRU? wrote:Harry Potter was shot on the Tube?

(sorry, I often fail to read all the posts).

:D

No, I think he becomes a soccer mom.

*SNORT*

Well, so that's what Sprite looks like when it's sprayed all over the monitor.

:lol:
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

The Weekenders wrote:I just didn't read any of that.
Any of what?

Truthfully, I got as far as "Voldemort", and began asking myself, "What the hell is a 'voldemort'?"

:)
missy

Post by missy »

"Truthfully, I got as far as "Voldemort", and began asking myself, "What the hell is a 'voldemort'?" "

AHHHH - don't say THAT NAME!!!!! It's "you know who" or "he who mustn't be named".

Chud!!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

I just didn't read it, either!

Shame, shame, shame! Spoiling all the fun! After we've waited so long!

Hmpf! I'm rationing out my copy, reading a little bit at a time to make it last longer. Forcing myself to read sloooowly instead of whole pages at a gulp.

Reading the Miles Vorkosigan series in between. Heading off to do that right now, in fact . . . going to curl up in bed with a cup of tea and "The Vor Game."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Lambchop wrote:
Geez. Try to write a parody synopsis of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Sith and nobody reads it. Hmph. Just for that, I think I'll reveal who really dies at the end of HP6.
Hedwig!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Just finished!! :o :cry:

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Mark
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

What's all the fuss about this guy?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

jsluder wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Geez. Try to write a parody synopsis of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Sith and nobody reads it. Hmph. Just for that, I think I'll reveal who really dies at the end of HP6.
Hedwig!
NOOOO! That's HORRIBLE!

Oh, say it isn't so! I won't be able to continue reading knowing Hedwig . . . :cry: !

And don't tell me it's Fawkes, either.

<sniff> :cry:
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

jsluder wrote:
IRTradRU? wrote:
Nah. Harry had been having prophetic dreams about Hermione dying, and Voldemort (disguised as Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge) convinced him that together they could rediscover Salazar Slytherin's spell for preserving life. After Voldy (still disguised as Fudge) gets Harry to eliminate Mad-eye Moody (who had come to confront Voldemort), Hermione and the Weasley twins follow Harry to a steel refinery, where Harry, out of his mind with rage, hits Hermione with the Avada Kedavra curse, apparently killing her. Fred and George duel with Harry, and eventually push him into a vat of molten steel. Harry saves himself by using a modified bubble-head spell, but is horribly mutilated. Voldemort, no longer in disguise, rescues Harry and gives him magical limbs to replace the ones that burned. He also tells him that Harry killed Hermione, thus completing Harry's conversion to the Dark Arts. However, Hermione miraculously survived the Avada Kedavra curse and was hidden away by Fred and George, where she later died in childbirth. (Three books later, the evil Darth Potter believes that Hermione's children are his, but the fact that the children were twins indicates some behind-the-scenes hanky-panky with the Weasley twins. The father could've been Ron, but most experts believe he was too much of a wanker to get beyond first base.)
sounds like something my six-year old would invent - without the sex - and with the addition of a wormhole to get from one world to the other, and a transporter when needed, of course
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

scarhand wrote:sounds like something my six-year old would invent - without the sex - and with the addition of a wormhole to get from one world to the other, and a transporter when needed, of course
Well, since the plot I parodied is basically Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, I dare say your six-year-old could've done better. It was a product of George Lucas' infertile imagination, after all...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Didn't read the last several posts, not did I.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nice one Slude!!

I finished HP6 a few days ago, and poor Beth isn't allowed to even start it until she's handed in her dissertation. Cees in SLC is usually bursting with HP news, but now she has a Japanese student staying for a couple of weeks, so just when I am able to discuss it, she's not online!

Weeks - I'm currently reading "Frigate Commander" by Tom Wareham. Based on the private journal of Captain Graham Moore, who served betwen 1793 and 1804 - a busy and exciting time to be at sea. An interesting insight into life in the Royal Navy.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Martin Milner wrote:I finished HP6 a few days ago, and poor Beth isn't allowed to even start it until she's handed in her dissertation. Cees in SLC is usually bursting with HP news, but now she has a Japanese student staying for a couple of weeks, so just when I am able to discuss it, she's not online!
Try starting a new thread called "Harry Potter 6 Discussion (Spoilers!)". Several folks have indicated they've finished the book, so I bet you'd get plenty of discussion.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Martin Milner wrote:
Weeks - I'm currently reading "Frigate Commander" by Tom Wareham. Based on the private journal of Captain Graham Moore, who served betwen 1793 and 1804 - a busy and exciting time to be at sea. An interesting insight into life in the Royal Navy.
I was already a big fan of James Cook but this new book widened my appreciation of the tradition and some of the lesser-known (in non-British circles) sailors, like Anson, for example.

I had no idea, for example, that Britain single-handedly took on the abolitionist task of patrolling coastal Africa to intercept and stop slavers from 1809 on. It's something we don't necessarily learn in our history here, especially since the US was one of the few major powers that was allowed to continue because of 1812 concessions.

Herman's re-telling of Trafalgar is pretty engaging and comprehensive. The truth was dramatic enough without embellishment. He is also measured and fair on Bligh, I think.

I had read all the Hornblower tomes years and years ago. Guess I will go ahead and read the Master and Commander series. Unlike some, I liked the movie because of the realism of the battle below decks. I had never seen a film come close to the terror of continuing to fight amidst the bloody chaos, steel and wood shrapnel and so forth.

I am always happy to recommend the bio of Cook by Richard Hough, fwiw. I have re-read it four times.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?