Scientists develop new swearword

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

This breaking news just in from http://www.theliar.co.uk

A group of linguists from Bristol have stunned the world by producing the first new English swearword in decades. The discovery is a tremendous victory for British science, which still manages to lead the world despite massive underfunding from the government.

“We started by analysing existing swearwords,” said Professor Susannah Folio from the Cartington Institute for Linguistic Novelty. “We noticed that most of the best swearwords – the classic ‘four letter words’ such as crap – had one vowel with a consonant or consonant cluster on either side. It was clear we had to follow the same pattern. But we didn’t lose sight of such classics as arse and wanker either.”

And the new word itself? Chud. You can describe someone as a chud or chudlifter, or talk about how chudding annoying something is.

“We’ve still got a few issues to iron out,” said Professor Folio, “like just how bad the swearword is.
There was a bit more in the article, but I thought it was a bit chudding rude so left it out of the quote.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
TomB

Re: Scientists develop new swearword

Post by TomB »

GaryKelly wrote:This breaking news just in from http://www.theliar.co.uk

A group of linguists from Bristol have stunned the world by producing the first new English swearword in decades. The discovery is a tremendous victory for British science, which still manages to lead the world despite massive underfunding from the government.

“We started by analysing existing swearwords,” said Professor Susannah Folio from the Cartington Institute for Linguistic Novelty. “We noticed that most of the best swearwords – the classic ‘four letter words’ such as crap – had one vowel with a consonant or consonant cluster on either side. It was clear we had to follow the same pattern. But we didn’t lose sight of such classics as arse and wanker either.”

And the new word itself? Chud. You can describe someone as a chud or chudlifter, or talk about how chudding annoying something is.

“We’ve still got a few issues to iron out,” said Professor Folio, “like just how bad the swearword is.
There was a bit more in the article, but I thought it was a bit chudding rude so left it out of the quote.

So, does that mean somone who is a chud is pants?
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
djm

Post by djm »

There was a story this morning of how the latest Doonesbury cartoon has been dropped from most dailies as it has George W referring to a recent political appointment as, I think it was, a "turd flower".

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

chud?

Nah - don't like it. I either think "chum" (as in fish bait) or cud (as in what cows chew). Saying someone is fish bait or cow vomit just doesn't quite get it.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

missy wrote:chud?

Nah - don't like it.
Oh yeah? Oh yeah? D'you know how chudding long those scientists worked on that? D'you give a chud about the personal sacrifices they had to make? No-o-oh, it's all 'I don't like it' and a load of chuddocks about chuddin' fishbait as far as your concerned innit? There's always someone. I dunno why they chuddin' bothered.

Note to self... 'chuddocks'... hmmm, it has an interesting je ne sais quois...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
missy

Post by missy »

GaryKelly wrote:
"D'you know how chudding long those scientists worked on that?"

Well, as the scientists I work with often say: "I'm glad you got the moose on the table."
Now - what the chud that has to DO with what you said, I have no idea. But that's what the scientists I work with say.

I personnally think it's the effect of working with too much ethyl ether. :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm offended. C**d should not be mentioned on a family site.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I invent a Rilj new swear-tidg-ing every couple of yamping hours, how come it takes a klimping bunch of grelling scientists so snedgley long?

It'll never chudding catch on, mind.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

What the rec***er did they want to do that for? We got more swearing and cussing than a month of Sundays, these days... and I'm in a state where it's technically illegal!
Reasonable person
Walden
Paul

Post by Paul »

I wondered what the chud this thread was all about. :lol:

bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I came up with a good swearword when I was a teenager, although it has more than four letters:

Schnertzelflozz

As in "Oh schnertzelflozz, I left my shirt, tie, and iPod at the hotel."

Which as it happens, is almost exactly what I said yesterday when I was unpacking my bag after a brief trip to Washington, DC. Except I didn't say schnertzelflozz, or chud for that matter.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

bradhurley wrote:I came up with a good swearword when I was a teenager, although it has more than four letters:

Schnertzelflozz

As in "Oh schnertzelflozz, I left my shirt, tie, and iPod at the hotel."

Which as it happens, is almost exactly what I said yesterday when I was unpacking my bag after a brief trip to Washington, DC. Except I didn't say schnertzelflozz, or chud for that matter.
Oh, sorry to hear! Was it a 20 or a 40 Gigabyte tie?
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Chud is pants!
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Bloomfield wrote:Oh, sorry to hear! Was it a 20 or a 40 Gigabyte tie?
Hah! 20 gigs. Fortunately the hotel found the stuff I left behind and I'll get it back.

I was in fact more bummed out about the tie...I only own three ties, and that was my favorite one. I wouldn't have missed the iPod, I pretty much only use it when traveling and when I work out on my rowing machine during the winter months, and I was starting to think it would actually be nice to have one less electronic device in my life.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

TomB wrote:Chud is pants!
Soylent Green is chud!