Toss the Feathers...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tiny Jessi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tiny Jessi »

I really like how it sounds played with all of the instruments, but I haven't ever heard it with just the whistle before. I was wondering if anyone else has...I can't seem to find any sheet music for it, or I'd have a go at playing it myself (though that is not really a true indicator of how it should sound!). I imagine it might sound a bit bare without anything else, like a violin...does anyone know? Or does anyone know where I might find accurate sheet music for it please? Sorry if it's a bit of a dumb request/question. :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tiny Jessi on 2002-06-12 06:53 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

A good place to find tunes is JC's tunefinder. It has been mentioned many times at the C&F. If you look for Toss the Feathers there you will find different versions. Possibly the one you want is labelled 1 in the index column. I think this is the most common, at least at sessions. I also have a sort of hazy recollection that Cathal McConnell has recorded a version of it on flute or whistle but I'm not sure which. I'm not sure where either except that it would probobly be on some Boys of the Lough album.

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html

Steve
brian_k

Post by brian_k »

O'Neill's Music Of Ireland -- the "Bible" of traditional tunes -- prints it; it's on page 100, in my copy.

'luck now,
brian_k
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

There are indeed at least three distinct (though related) settings of this reel. But when a beginner shows an interest in this tune, I'd be willing to bet my entire collection of Copelands that it is because she's been listening to ... Ms Nubile Stick Insect and her siblings.

I've sent Jessi an mp3 of the tune played solo. I'd just like to add Jessi that this is not really a suitable tune for beginners. You probably need *at least* a year of serious practising before you can hope to make a decent job of it.

But it's fun to attempt the impossible. Then set it aside and come back to it after a few years.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I would tend to agree with Stevie.

On the other hand, and without calling into question the lovely Stick Insect's nubility, if you're diligent over the next year, Jessi, you could aspire to play the tune not like her but better than her. At this stage of your career, aim for accuracy rather than speed.

(Sorry, couldn't resist rising to the entomological bait, as irresistible as any troll).
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I'd be willing to bet my entire collection of Copelands ...
Betting for high stakes now, eh? :smile:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

StevieJ,

That's the best way to make me want to learn the tune... Could you send me a copy of the MP3? I'm trying to work on my reels so it might be a good start!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-06-12 09:40, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
I'd be willing to bet my entire collection of Copelands ...
Betting for high stakes now, eh? :smile:
I'd be surprised to discover that StevieJ owns a single Copeland... How's that for your high stakes? And if Azalin gets a copy of the MP3, then I want one, too, please pretty please. :smile:

I know (of) a fiddler who likes to play two of the different Toss the Feathers as a set in his session, which always leads to great moments when people ask, "what were those two tunes called?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-06-13 10:30 ]</font>
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I'd be surprised to discover that StevieJ owns a single Copeland...
So would I... :smile:
Tiny Jessi

Post by Tiny Jessi »

Thankyou all! Yes, I know it is a bit fast and complicated for a newbie such as myself...I didn't expect to be able to just pick up a whistle and play it like a god, but eh....It could be a laugh listmnign to meself having a go and sounding awful! At least I'll get a kick out of hearing my neighbour's horrible dog go berserk over it! :wink: Um, what do you all think is a good way of going about learning? Should I get myself a teacher for a while just to start off, or should I buy books and listen to cds? And how much practice is enough do you think to get fairly good? I don't have a lot of time, and my family can be slightly intolerent of the sound...but I want to get good! Or at least better than I am now...which is pretty bad to be perfectly honest! How did you all go about learning, if you don't mind me asking?
::Toots whistle as best as I can::