Own one, thinking of purchasing more p'whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
musewoman

Own one, thinking of purchasing more p'whistles

Post by musewoman »

Hi, gang. I'm new to this forum/website, but a friend of mine "sent" me here to try and get info re purchasing more pennywhistles.

Here's my experience, so far. I originally was given a VERY cheap TIN whistle. I wasn't crazy about the sound, so I went searching. Bought a Susato, a Clarke, and 2 ?? (brass w/ green plastic mouthpieces). My favorite, by far, has been the Susato. It seems forgiving (fingering, breath control, etc.) and has a sweet, but moderately loud sound (for those "bar jams"!). Anyway, this Susato in D is the only whistle I currently play. I'd like to purchase a few more whistles in different keys.

I'm thinking, since I already know I like em, a Susato is the obvious choice. But I also wanted feedback from more experienced players on what other brands I might consider.

Since I've seen this question before, I'll try to answer it here....What kind of music do I play? Anything, from folk, to Van Morrison to light rock covers. I even do (as a comedic thing) "Locomotive Breath" (Jethro Tull). We don't do much TRAD, and with my abilities (or lack thereof), that's probably a good thing.

I'm looking for an easy to blow (forgiving), sweet sounding, reasonably priced (I'll pay UP TO $135), moderately loud whistle. I await your suggestions! (And thanks!)
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Feadin »

I think you'll like a Water Weasel. The maker (Glenn Schultz) is not with us anymore (phisically at least), so the whistles are not so easy to found, but they're not impossible either. You can try asking his daughter Bree at www.thinweasel.com and I think that alespa (Matt) still has one or two non-tunable (NT) Water Weasel to sell (He won't be reading the forums until next week so you'll have to wait a little). I have one and it's fantastic. The tone is pretty pure and clear, but with a tiny touch of breathiness and reediness that make it unique. It's quite loud, too.
The price for the NT WW was about $50 so it's not expensive, and if you don't like it, it will be easy to sell as they will be more difficult to get as the time passes by... the tunable models starts from about $80-90 or so.

Good luck!

PD: Forgot to say: Welcome to the forums! :)
Cristian Feldman
musewoman

Post by musewoman »

Feadin wrote:I think you'll like a Water Weasel. The maker (Glenn Schultz) is not with us anymore (phisically at least), so the whistles are not so easy to found, but they're not impossible either. You can try asking his daughter Bree at www.thinweasel.com and I think that alespa (Matt) still has one or two non-tunable (NT) Water Weasel to sell (He won't be reading the forums until next week so you'll have to wait a little). I have one and it's fantastic. The tone is pretty pure and clear, but with a tiny touch of breathiness and reediness that make it unique. It's quite loud, too.
The price for the NT WW was about $50 so it's not expensive, and if you don't like it, it will be easy to sell as they will be more difficult to get as the time passes by... the tunable models starts from about $80-90 or so.

Good luck!

PD: Forgot to say: Welcome to the forums! :)
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'll look into the Water Weasels! And maybe by that time, Matt will be back to read the forum.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Welcome!

Another whistle to consider would be an aluminum Syn from Erle Bartlett.

It handles and plays much like a Susato only with a bit sweeter tone and an easier high octave.

I think these run about $40 these days.

Here's what my Syn D sounds like:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/jig_slurs_syn.mp3

Best wishes,

--James
musewoman

Post by musewoman »

peeplj wrote:Welcome!

Another whistle to consider would be an aluminum Syn from Erle Bartlett.

It handles and plays much like a Susato only with a bit sweeter tone and an easier high octave.

I think these run about $40 these days.

Here's what my Syn D sounds like:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/jig_slurs_syn.mp3

Best wishes,

--James
Excellent! An easier high octave is a selling point for me! And the price is great...not much more than a Susato ($35).

You guys are great! I'm so glad I found this website. I've already learned SO much about "whistles".

I enjoy playing it at an acoustic jam on Tues and Thurs at a local watering hole. The violinist and I are the only "melodic" instruments (mostly guitars there), so we adapt to all SORTS of musical styles. I find that the p'whistle fits in on a lot of tunes. So I'm expanding my available keys.

Thanks again!
musewoman

Post by musewoman »

What about Walter Sweet's (Ralph's son) "new" dynmondwood flutes? Anyone have experience with that model?
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

musewoman wrote:What about Walter Sweet's (Ralph's son) "new" dynmondwood flutes? Anyone have experience with that model?
Excellent whistles! ALMOST as good as real wood :P
Just kidding Walt...
The new Sweet Pro whistles are really terrific. If you're looking for anothe key, Walt JUST released some new ones in C. These are so nice that Bloomfield (you'll meet him) authorized his teacher Gunther to buy him one last weekend.

If you decide to go Low D, Walt also makes gorgeous matching low Ds in Dymondwood. I'm eagerly awaiting one in the mail.

BTW-- if you want to experiment with transverse flute, these are also available with a fife head (flute for the low D) which makes them quite versatile indeed.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You can get the Syn whistles at Gaelic Crossings web site. They have a C, D, Eb set for about $57.00.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
musewoman

Post by musewoman »

Oh, God! So many choices, so little knowledge! Ok....what about HIGH vs LOW? Is this about octaves, I assume? I would guess that the highs are easier to play, due to their size, finger hole spacing, bore, etc.

Transverse? That's not the same thing as one head for 3 bodies is it? (And what about THAT?)

At this moment, I'm leaning towards the Sweet Dymondwood C...

but then, there's weasels, and susatos, and clarkes...oh, my!
musewoman

Post by musewoman »

RonKiley wrote:You can get the Syn whistles at Gaelic Crossings web site. They have a C, D, Eb set for about $57.00.

Ron
So I assume that's two "votes" for the Syn?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

musewoman wrote:Oh, God! So many choices, so little knowledge! Ok....what about HIGH vs LOW? Is this about octaves, I assume? I would guess that the highs are easier to play, due to their size, finger hole spacing, bore, etc.

Transverse? That's not the same thing as one head for 3 bodies is it? (And what about THAT?)

The whistles you're playing now are "high" whistles. A "low" whistle would be an octave down from the high whistle. Thus, susato makes a "high D," which you currently own, and a "low D," an octave below that. Highs tend to be a lot easier to play, not only because of finger spacing (lows require pipers grip or something similar), but also because of breath requirements and such.

Transverse is a fancy word for "parallel to the ground," like you play a flute. Whistles are not transverse, but flutes and fifes and piccolos are. The Sweetheart low D, as Paul said, has an optional flute (or transverse) head.

Syn whistles (as well as susatos and several others) are available in "sets" that come with one head, but several bodies. This tends to be an economic way to get a couple of keys without paying full price for a number of whistles.

As for a suggestion, I'd definitely say Syn is a good way to go, if you like susatos. I have the Syn D/C/Eb set available from Gaelic Crossings, and I like it. The C is by far the best one, though. The D and Eb are much too resistant in the high register, for me. Not NEARLY as resistant as susatos, though.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
musewoman

Post by musewoman »

Congratulations wrote:
musewoman wrote:Oh, God! So many choices, so little knowledge! Ok....what about HIGH vs LOW? Is this about octaves, I assume? I would guess that the highs are easier to play, due to their size, finger hole spacing, bore, etc.

The whistles you're playing now are "high" whistles. A "low" whistle would be an octave down from the high whistle. Thus, susato makes a "high D," which you currently own, and a "low D," an octave below that. Highs tend to be a lot easier to play, not only because of finger spacing (lows require pipers grip or something similar), but also because of breath requirements and such.

Transverse is a fancy word for "parallel to the ground," like you play a flute. Whistles are not transverse, but flutes and fifes and piccolos are. The Sweetheart low D, as Paul said, has an optional flute (or transverse) head.

Syn whistles (as well as susatos and several others) are available in "sets" that come with one head, but several bodies. This tends to be an economic way to get a couple of keys without paying full price for a number of whistles.

As for a suggestion, I'd definitely say Syn is a good way to go, if you like susatos. I have the Syn D/C/Eb set available from Gaelic Crossings, and I like it. The C is by far the best one, though. The D and Eb are much too resistant in the high register, for me. Not NEARLY as resistant as susatos, though.
Thanks for your very helpful post. I definitely do NOT want transverse (I'm a terrible flute player!!). Since I already have a High D (thanks for helping me with High vs Low) Susato, maybe it would make sense to get a Syn High C. The set really isn't economical if you already have a whistle in one of the keys.

This is a great forum. Thank you ALL for your help and feedback. I'll check in tomorrow to see if any others have "weighed in".

Again, my thanks...
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Dixon whistles are good value and easy to play.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you're looking for other keys, the Susato C is a pretty good whistle -- most consider it better than the D.

However, if you have the funds, run, don't walk to the Thin Weasel website and pick up a Bflat/A combo (or either one). Of the Water Weasel line, these are the absolute gems, and that's saying quite a bit. They have all the best characteristics of pennywhistles and low whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

A maker of nice, quiet whistles that isn't too hard on the pocket book :

Whistles by Mack