Thinking about trying flute...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Thinking about trying flute...

Post by dow »

Hey, I've been playing a Feadog D, and a Susato C off and on for about a year, and am thinking about giving the flute a shot. How many of you have picked up the flute, and what are your thoughts on making the transition, learning curve, similarities, differences, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

I went the other way around, from flute to whistle.

Were you thinking of going to Irish flute or to a Boehm system? The Irish will be fingered more like the whistle. A Boehm flute (the one with all the keys) has the advantage of being totally chromatic (you can play in any key) but the fingerings are different in subtle but important ways.

For example, the F# is the biggest bugaboo for me when swapping back and forth from whistle to Boehm. On whistle it's XXX XOO and on flute it can be either XXX OXO or XXX OOX and you make your choice based on factors like the previous note or next note. E is XXX XXO, so it's easier to transition in and out of F# by moving right one finger with the first option rather than swapping all right fingers with the second.

On top of that, there can be tonal and tuning variations between the two fingerings...

And then you have to learn how to blow the danged thing.

Wouldn't you be just as happy with a nice low whistle? :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
dow

Post by dow »

Hi Marguerite.
Were you thinking of going to Irish flute or to a Boehm system?
Irish. I'm thinking about ordering one from Mr. Tipple (http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dou ... index.html).

Yeah, I've thought about a nice low whistle, but the flute looks like fun, too. :boggle:
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

dow wrote:I'm thinking about ordering one from Mr. Tipple
I have started with a Tipple. It's a great flute to learn with, I think.
(Get the Tipple-Fajardo wedge)
Be prepared to invest a lot more into just learning to blow the thing.
It's just not as intuative as the whistle. You have to develop your
emboucure and breath control before you really start to get a good sound
out of any flute. Even learning to hold it properly took me a few days.
Stick with it and don't get discouraged; the learning curve eventually
lightens up.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I went from whistle to flute a couple of years ago. I greatly enjoyed the whistle, but the flute is on a whole nother echelon of pleasure. And difficulty for that matter. Similarities: the fingering is the same; if you're intending to play the same music on the flute, then the music will be the same.

Differences: Although the fingerings are the same, the muscles you use to move the fingers are different, so there's really not all that much muscle memory involved. The flute requires you to make the sound rather than to just blow into it. So there's a long learning process just to get a sound, to conserve air, to get the right sound, to get different sounds, etc. OTOH, the flute is much more dynamic. After some time, you'll be able to play loudly or softly in either octave, you'll be able to get a reedy, pure, breathy, or dirty sound from it. It's really a remarkable woodwind that way.

Enjoy!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Feadin »

I've tryied a flute I made myself... making it sound was not so difficult, but holding it sideways and playing C# in a tune without loosing the sound was almost impossible to me bacause I moved it a lot :)

Maybe I'll try again someday, but right now I prefer to stick with whistles.
Cristian Feldman
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

GO FOR IT! And hey, if it doesn't work out, at least you will have given your lungs a good workout. You'll probably notice that you'll have more air to play whistle with. :D
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Feadin wrote:...holding it sideways and playing C# in a tune without loosing the sound was almost impossible to me bacause I moved it a lot
Yeah, learning to hold it such that it is steady when no holes are covered
is the first step... If you search the Flute Forum (or look in Grey Larson's
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... >Essential Guide</a>), you'll find many tips for a proper grip.
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

dow wrote:Irish. I'm thinking about ordering one from Mr. Tipple (http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dou ... index.html).
Sounds fine to me. I have a Casey Burns "small hands" folk flute. I like the tone but I'm having trouble fingering it comfortably--not a fault of the flute, I hasten to say, but because I have arthritis damage on the left hand and have trouble hitting the holes. My Boehm has keys...much more forgiving to the differently-abled. (I'm trying out a "buddy strap" for my uncooperative finger and that adaptation shows some promise.)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Don't do it, don't go over to the dark side! :o :o
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Dow,

It is your Dessstiny!

On a cynical note, if spending a great deal more money for a functionally identical instrument is your idea of a good idea, go for flute. :twisted: :D

[KIDDING!]

In all seriousness, I find them to be very different instruments for the reasons alluded to in prior posts. At the moment, I am very much on the fluter side of things, for a few reasons. Ergonomically, the stretch on a low D whistle doesn;t really work for me. Also, I am a bottom dweller tonally. I like bassy things, so a focus on a regular whistle isn't in my personality. Probably most important, I think my playing style lends itself to flute moreso than whistle - I couldn;t pinpoint exactly why but there it is.

To paraphrase Robin Williams,
"There are whistle people and flute people - find out which you are and BE that person."

Or not. :party:
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Do it.

I say the Tipple is the best PVC Flute around. I did it and it was the blowing that is hard you just have to practice a lot.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Oh, don't go letting everyone scare you. My wife could play an octive plus scale the first time she picked up one. It was a Dixon 3 piece polymer flute of a board member we were visiting. I bought her one flute, which we opted to return and she currently has a Bleazey Rudall.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Really, don't let everyone scare you.

Flute is not whistle, but it's fun and worthwhile. It requires that you work on more stuff to get the music to happen, but the resulting sound is delicious.

Start with a Tipple. If the hole spread is too big for you, but you still like the flute sound, then get a Burns small-handed folk flute. It'll be just right.
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

Lambchop wrote:Really, don't let everyone scare you.

Flute is not whistle, but it's fun and worthwhile. It requires that you work on more stuff to get the music to happen, but the resulting sound is delicious.

Start with a Tipple. If the hole spread is too big for you, but you still like the flute sound, then get a Burns small-handed folk flute. It'll be just right.
Yeah, what she said. I think flute offers a greater range of expression through embrochure rather than fipple. Maybe that's 'cause I started out on flute. Not that you can't have great expression with a whistle, but it's necessarily different. Don't know nuthin' about no Tipple, so I'd trust those that play it.

I'm babbling...time to go to bed.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg