Your first Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fifefighter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Your first Low D

Post by fifefighter »

Thinking of getting a low D. Reading some of the experiences of the members. Still interested what most start with?
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

My first and only low D is the Kerry Songbird,I'm very pleased with it,it has a very haunting sound and is easy to play.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i was very lucky. my honey bought me a copeland 2 years ago- 3 piece brass. i can't imagine wanting another low D.

in terms of affordability you will hear howard.

meir
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

My first low D was a Dixon - very easy to play, but very soft.

My second was a Howard - required me to master piper's grip to play it, but has (to me) a much more rewarding sound. The Howard's the low D that I play most of the time.

I *have* tried both the NR Chieftain and Overton Low Ds, and think that they are both wonderful whistles, but they cost quite a bit more than the Howard too.

When I last tried the Susato Low D, I still hadn't mastered piper's grip, and I found it nearly unplayable, so I can't give you a fair evaluation. It's another low-cost option, though.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get either a Howard or Kerry Songbird, and wait until I was quite comfortable with it before considering adding a second.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I know there was a similar question recently, but cannot locate the thread... my first (and still only) low D is a Howard I purchased from a C&Fer right here. It is a great whistle, good sound, good quality, good price, and a not-too-broad finger spread. I highly recommend it.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Well, I entered the world of Whistledom on a Susato Low D. Took about a month before I could play the think without squeaking.

It sounds fairly nice to me, though some people don't like it. It's got a little differnt tone than the others. They say it's recorder-like, though I've never played a recorder of this size, and all recorders that big have a conical bore, so I dunno. I do know that the the blade is curved, as where most whistles seem to have a strait blade. I would assume that is probably the main difference... and the fact that it's plastic, of course.

It certianly doesn't sound bad by any stretch, unless, of course, you suck at playing it. (Which generally seems to be the biggest problem with tone on any whistle, or pretty much any instrument).
Everyone likes music
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I started with an Overton Low D. I now have most keys from Bass A to Low D.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I started with a Dixon last december and since last May I own a Chieftain( NR ).

In between I had an Alba, but sold it right away, although it had a beautiful sound. I had difficulties playing the upper register.

I like the Chieftain best.
:) Rini
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

Well I have the philosophy that a really good instrument
is wasted on a beginner - even when the beginner is ME.

When I start a new instrument, I am not at all sure if I
will keep with it for long. I therefore try to get a second-hand
or realtively inexpensive instrument to begin with.

I looked around at what was availabe in Low D whistles and
came to the conclusion that a PVC whistle was adequate to
make a start on.

I bought my one from Daniel Bingamon of Jubilee Whistles.
He makes a beginners Low D in white PVC that sounds good
and is very easy to play. It is also very reasonably priced.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Walt Sweets new low Ds are, well sweet! I played one a few months ago and then played several quite a bit yesterday at the Northeast C&F gathering. It has a nice solid woody sound and feel. I'm comfortable with piper's grip, but my wife isn't . She loved the offset D and G holes.
I have a Copeland, but I'm seriously considering selling it to buy one of these.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

My first was a Kerry...the nontunable version, and it was good enough to give me a hankering for the instrument...then I got the hankering to find the 'right' low D. I've been through the Kerry, a Cook, a Burke and then low and D-hold, the Sweetheart.

Search has ended, the perfect D for me is the Sweetheart.

Kerry has been returned to its rightful owner. . .Cook and Burke are looking for new and appreciative owners. Cook needs someone with bigger fingers than mine, and the Burke needs someone with just a wee bit more lung capacity.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Tony McGinley wrote:Well I have the philosophy that a really good instrument
is wasted on a beginner - even when the beginner is ME.
I'm glad that is YOUR philosophy. I am glad I started with a better instrument. I have read many times about people that were turned off to a particular thing (music playing or otherwise) due to trying it out on a lesser item only later to realize that it was not them but the item they chose that was inadequate.

Good quality instruments can be had for reasonalbe prices, even new. My Overton low D was $90 total.

The Kerry I had sounded a lot like my Overton but did not have the back pressure I seemed to like. The Howard I had sounded a lot like the Copeland I had but again, both of those were pretty loose in the air requirment department. There were quite a few others that we tried but Overton and Bleazey did it for us.

http://www.kisstherebel.com/gallery/alb ... tles_Flute

http://www.kisstherebel.com/gallery/alb ... l_Whistles
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

First low D, and still like it very much: Dixon.
takes very little air, is more on the quite side, fingering very easy, instrument very light-weight, soft sound.
fifefighter

Post by fifefighter »

Thanks for the info guys, I took an offer from one of the members to a loan to try one. This is a fantastic forum with awesome information from members. Looking forward to trying it soon.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

yes, we are the epitome of coolness here, dude.

We've got to stay loose, you know? Let it cool. Let the coolness get into our vertebrae.
:D