Help me make it illegal to burn copies of flag-burning laws!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:In consideration of the various uprisings and flames which have sullied the spirit of the pipes forum this year, I'd like to propose a law which would head off bag-learning flaws.
As long as it's not bag-burning!
Don't burn your bag, recycle! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

Making burning flag laws illegal wouldn't work. What if the some extremists daubed the Anti-Flag burning laws on a flag. Wouldn't this just give more meaning to the cause of flag burners and thus generate a whole new band of extremists? I think you're just playing into their hands Dale. :roll: Just pass a law forcing all flag producers to use only flame retardant materials and voila your flag is safe :)
Last edited by perrins57 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

perrins57 wrote:Just pass a law forcing all flag producers to use only flame retardant materials and voila your flag is safe :)
Pardon the pun but brominated flame retardants are one of the hottest topics in environmental toxics. They are used liberally in consumer products, save lives, and are emerging as a very worrysome contaminate. I grabbed this off the web. Lots of uncertainty but very disturbing. Five years ago no one was looking at thia group of chemicals. Late 1990s studies in Sweeden and San Francisco turned up startingly high levels of BFRs in breast milk.

Executive Summary
In the first nationwide tests for brominated fire retardants in house dust, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found unexpectedly high levels of these neurotoxic chemicals in every home sampled. The average level of brominated fire retardants measured in dust from nine homes was more than 4,600 parts per billion (ppb). A tenth sample, collected in a home where products with fire retardants were recently removed, contained more than 41,000 ppb of brominated fire retardants — twice as high as the maximum level previously reported by any dust study worldwide.

Like PCBs, their long-banned chemical relatives, the brominated fire retardants known as PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers) are persistent in the environment and bioaccumulative, building up in people's bodies over a lifetime. In minute doses they and other brominated fire retardants impair attention, learning, memory and behavior in laboratory animals.

EWG's test results indicate that consumer products, not industrial releases, are the most likely sources of the rapid buildup of PBDEs in people, animals and the environment, which has been documented by tests from Europe to the Arctic. Scientists now recognize that indoor environmental contamination, including contaminants accumulating in household dust, pose a substantial health risk to the population. Our findings raise concerns that children may ingest significant amounts of toxic fire retardants via dust, and indicate that the impending federal phase-out of two PBDEs doesn't go far enough to protect Americans.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/inthedust/summary.php
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

We had a group from down South come up to burn our flag when the same-sex debate was raging. A Mountie had to help them do it, just to make sure they did it safely. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dwinterfield wrote:
perrins57 wrote:Just pass a law forcing all flag producers to use only flame retardant materials and voila your flag is safe :)
Pardon the pun but brominated flame retardants are one of the hottest topics in environmental toxics. They are used liberally in consumer products, save lives, and are emerging as a very worrysome contaminate. I grabbed this off the web. Lots of uncertainty but very disturbing. Five years ago no one was looking at thia group of chemicals. Late 1990s studies in Sweeden and San Francisco turned up startingly high levels of BFRs in breast milk.
Either way, it becomes a Left/Right issue. :lol:
Reasonable person
Walden
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

dwinterfield wrote: Pardon the pun but brominated flame retardants are one of the hottest topics in environmental toxics. They are used liberally in consumer products, save lives, and are emerging as a very worrysome contaminate. I grabbed this off the web. Lots of uncertainty but very disturbing. Five years ago no one was looking at thia group of chemicals. Late 1990s studies in Sweeden and San Francisco turned up startingly high levels of BFRs in breast milk.
Flame retardant breast milk, could we use this to extinguish burning flags?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

If burning flag burning laws is wrong, I don't want to be right.
:-?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

You can burn any flag, but it is impossible to burn what it stands for. A law preventing flag burning will cost money, time and effort that could best be allocated toward something really useful like shelter and food for the homeless... among a myriad of other more pressing issues facing our nations today.

.... burning flags... Humbug!
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

We are all still being sarcastic . . . . right?

(Name's Mark btw)
TomB

Post by TomB »

perrins57 wrote:We are all still being sarcastic . . . . right?

Umm, maybe. It may depend upon which posts you think are sarcastic.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

perrins57 wrote:
dwinterfield wrote: Pardon the pun but brominated flame retardants are one of the hottest topics in environmental toxics. They are used liberally in consumer products, save lives, and are emerging as a very worrysome contaminate. I grabbed this off the web. Lots of uncertainty but very disturbing. Five years ago no one was looking at thia group of chemicals. Late 1990s studies in Sweeden and San Francisco turned up startingly high levels of BFRs in breast milk.
I read your comment and began think of possibly funny but very tasteless responses/continuations. Upon further review the potential for tasteless(and possibly offensive) far outweighs the possibility of funny. Better not to go there.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

dwinterfield wrote:
perrins57 wrote:
I read your comment and began think of possibly funny but very tasteless responses/continuations. Upon further review the potential for tasteless(and possibly offensive) far outweighs the possibility of funny. Better not to go there.
Yes I rather naively initiated an idea, without thinking about where it could be taken. Your restraint is admirable.

(Name's Mark btw)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

dwinterfield wrote:
perrins57 wrote:Flame retardant breast milk, could we use this to extinguish burning flags?
I read your comment and began think of possibly funny but very tasteless responses/continuations.
What's so tasteless about a race of flame-proof superbabies?
Then we wouldn't need to make Halloween costumes flame-retardant...
oh, I see now.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:[ flame-proof superbabies?
That would make napalm and flame throwers obsolete! :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown