Let's GO, Geek O! 2 problems with Microsoft Word

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Let's GO, Geek O! 2 problems with Microsoft Word

Post by Dale »

One of my office computers has Word 2000 (for Windows). No, I'm not going to get a Mac.

2 issues:

When I use the File drop down menu, then the "Open" command to pull up a document, including one I've created with this very computer and with Word, the document comes up with all formatting info lost.

Weirdly, if, instead of using the drop down menu and the open command I find the same document with Explorer and CLICK on the document to open it...it opens with the formatting info INTACT.

How weird is that?

Does anyone know of a way to get Word to always prompt for a password when saving a document?

Thanks!

Dale
jsluder
antispam: No

Re: Let's GO, Geek O! 2 problems with Microsoft Word

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:No, I'm not going to get a Mac.
:evil: You could've at least given us the pleasure of making the suggestion; it makes us feel so superior. :D
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Mac owners are superior. We will offer no resistance when they take over the world. Resistance we know to be futile.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Check the file format you are using to open it.

The password thing is a protection option.

Um, search the help file for protection, or:
got to the drop down menu "Tools", look for "Protect Document"

It's yours from there.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey, I am not gonna get all superior on ya, because they are, after all, just tools. It's just that MS has Bill's smudgy fingerprints all over their software and OS...with known "issues."

Speaking of computers (he says, derailing the thread), for those of you who are Mac and Adobe users: if you have ever used any of the recent tutorials that are in 2 to 3 minute segments, you may be familiar with a British man's voice that gives the lessons.

We had an InDesign training at my job last week and it was none other than he, Steve Holmes, the voice of Adobe tutorials giving us instruction in person.

Very cool.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote: We had an InDesign training at my job last week and it was none other than he, Steve Holmes, the voice of Adobe tutorials giving us instruction in person.

Very cool.

Damn, I thought you were going to say that it was Martin Milner.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

TomB wrote:
The Weekenders wrote: We had an InDesign training at my job last week and it was none other than he, Steve Holmes, the voice of Adobe tutorials giving us instruction in person.

Very cool.

Tom
Ha! Well I did ask him why they chose a Brit but he didn't know for sure. He is a true expert in all Adobe software, though. I couldn't believe the stuff he knew, and, best of all to us newspaper types, his art degree was specifically in typography and design, more than general art. He really knew his ligatures!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have never seen that happen and have not been able to reproduce the problem. What formatting, specifically, gets corrupt? Indents? Bullets? Headings? Are you using any special templates?

To password protect the document go to the Tools | menu and select "Protect Document..."
A dialog will open allowing you enter a password.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

There is a fix which doesn't involve getting a Mac or changing your OS to Linux.

It does, however, require a baseball bat. Cures all known Windows issues.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I need a little more info... what font does it think it's in? Are you just missing the page edges (layout view)?

If you're looking at it in an unfamiliar "view" (normal, Web, or outline), it might appear to have lost formatting. If it's REALLY lost formatting (as in an ASCII text file), it usually opens in Courier. I had a look at Tools/Options and didn't see any "open as" default.

I DID find a place to set password options for the current document, but (as noted above) you may find the same setting easier under Tools/Protect Document.

-------------------

The above is just a reply to justify placing this note here: Weekenders! Brother! I work in InDesign all the time. Love fonts, love typography, love doing layout--and yell at people for underlining the < sign to try to get "less than or equal to" instead of finding the correct d**n symbol.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

The Weekenders wrote:
TomB wrote:

Very cool.

Tom
Ha! Well I did ask him why they chose a Brit but he didn't know for sure. He is a true expert in all Adobe software, though. I couldn't believe the stuff he knew, and, best of all to us newspaper types, his art degree was specifically in typography and design, more than general art. He really knew his ligatures!
Wow, it's wierd to start reading a thread in an idle moment and find oneself mentioned!

Maybe English accents in America are considered trustworthy? In the UK many financial advertisements use Scottish actors and actresses, because they are considered financially canny, and the accent is supposed to convey this.

A notable exception to the rule is Howard the Brummie, the spokesman for Halifax, whose midland accent is friendly and reassuring. For those outside the UK, his accent sounds a bit like Mr Weasley in the Harry Potter films.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Flyingcursor wrote:I have never seen that happen and have not been able to reproduce the problem. What formatting, specifically, gets corrupt? Indents? Bullets? Headings? Are you using any special templates?

To password protect the document go to the Tools | menu and select "Protect Document..."
A dialog will open allowing you enter a password.
Thanks. Regarding the password thing, I was looking for something a bit more streamlined that would password protect all my documents. I located a program called Cryptainer which is going to do the trick for me.

I don't know what to make of the formatting problem. It doesn't actually lose the formatting---as I said, the weirdness of the problem is that formatting appears lost when I open the file my using the menu commands, but all is well if I click on the file icon to open it. This makes no sense to me whatever.

It appears to lose virtually all formatting, bold, italics, font size. Tables go away. It's way odd.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Dale, try going up to the "View" menu in Word and see which view is selected when you open the file from within Word (the choices in Word 2000 should be normal, print layout, and outline). If Outline view is selected, your formatting will be off, at least within the main body of the text. Change it to "print layout" or "normal" and everything should be fine.

Not sure if that's behind the problem you describe, but it sounds like the document itself is fine; it's just the way you're viewing it in Word.

-Brad
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Does anyone there know how to take an Access report and remove html tags and all content within them? We have large schedules of events generated from Access that include the relevant info plus all the html stuff.

We are having a heck of a time because in making transition over to InDesign, we have lost Pagemaker's filter preference which removed them. We have to do it in accursed Word.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

The Weekenders wrote:Does anyone there know how to take an Access report and remove html tags and all content within them? We have large schedules of events generated from Access that include the relevant info plus all the html stuff.

We are having a heck of a time because in making transition over to InDesign, we have lost Pagemaker's filter preference which removed them. We have to do it in accursed Word.
Word is indeed accursed, but Access reports even more so, and I've never been able to get it to make me a report I'm willing to take out in public.

Were it my task to sort out, I'd do a mail merge in Word (catalog style usually does it) and link it to the relevant Access table(s). You can apply whatever formatting you like in Word, which as you and I both know, imports into InDesign in a fairly well-behaved and predictable way.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg