Fonda Plans Tour to Rally Against War

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jGilder »

missy wrote:At the festival I attended the past weekend, I hear songs and sayings against the war, and I heard dedications of songs in support of our troops. I don't see that as necessarily opposites. In fact, it was a little less polar than in years past - neither Tom Paxton or John McCutcheon weren't there this year.
McCutcheon has written some great anti-war songs actually. Has anyone else heard this Willy Nelson song? He wrote this song on Christmas, 2003, and performed it for the first time at the Kucinich for President fundraising concert in Austin, Texas, on Jan. 3, 2004.

What Ever Happened To Peace On Earth

By Willy Nelson

What Ever Happened To Peace On Earth
There's so many things going on in the world
Babies dying
Mothers crying
How much oil is one human life worth
And what ever happened to peace on earth

We believe everything that they tell us
They're gonna' kill us
So we gotta' kill them first
But I remember a commandment
Thou shall not kill
How much is that soldier's life worth
And whatever happened to peace on earth

(Bridge)
And the bewildered herd is still believing
Everything we've been told from our birth
Hell they won't lie to me
Not on my own damn TV
But how much is a liar's word worth

So I guess it's just
Do unto others before they do it to you
Let's just kill em' all and let God sort em' out
Is this what God wants us to do

(Repeat Bridge)
Not on my own damn TV

Now you probably won't hear this on your radio
Probably not on your local TV
But if there's a time, and if you're ever so inclined
You can always hear it from me
How much is one picker's word worth

But don't confuse caring for weakness
You can't put that label on me
The truth is my weapon of mass protection
And I believe truth sets you free

(Bridge)
Not on my own damn TV
missy wrote:I also draw the line at protesting a government's actions vs. the actions of individual soldiers.
Supporting our troops means using them only as a last resort. I don't believe Bush did that, I believe he sent them in harms way with premeditation and on a pack of lies. Bush has betrayed the soldiers -- he should be impeached.
TomB

Post by TomB »

jGilder wrote:
TomB wrote:Typically, I tend to agree with you, at least to some extent. In this case, though, I completely disagree. Jane Fonda could have done it courageoulsy, instead she did in such a way as to endanger our people there, and turn more people here against them, with her lies.

There are a lot of things that are said she did, which she did not do, however, on a trip to North Vietnam in 1972, she did say that our captive troops were being treated humanely and denounced U.S. soldiers as liars for claiming they had been tortured- inexcusable behavior on her part.
I plead ignorance on the details of Fonda's experience. Could you substantiate this with her actual quote? I'm not saying I disagree, It happened at a time when I wasn't following the details so closely.
I cannot give the exact quotes, I'm sorry. It's a pretty well known fact that she did indeed do what I said, however. Also, when John McCain came home from the war, he was one of the soliders that said he was tortured for refusing to meet with her. She called him, and others, liars, saying that there was no torture.

The story that Weeks listed in his post, I think has been disproved, recently. When JF received some award on TV, or nominated as one of the 20th Century's Greatest 100 Woman, (this title is probably wrong), a lot of research went into that supposed happening. The solidiers that were supposedly involved all say that it was not true. They met her, but all say that they did not pass her slips of paper.

Sorry that I don't have her exact words on the other stuff, but I'm confident that I am spot on, as they say (they do say that, right)<

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

The Weekenders wrote:She turned over messages that the POW's slipped in her hand (hoping she would convey them to families and the like) while in a greeting line to the NVA authorities, allegedly causing some of them to be tortured after she left. That's always been the biggest charge against her, worse than mere words.
What would happen if she was touring Guantanamo and this happened?
TomB

Post by TomB »

jGilder wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:She turned over messages that the POW's slipped in her hand (hoping she would convey them to families and the like) while in a greeting line to the NVA authorities, allegedly causing some of them to be tortured after she left. That's always been the biggest charge against her, worse than mere words.
This did not happen.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Here is the Snopes version - draw your own conclusions.

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

Strange stuff...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
TomB

Post by TomB »

dubhlinn wrote:Here is the Snopes version - draw your own conclusions.

Strange stuff...

Slan,
D.
Pretty much says what I said, I think.

Tom
missy

Post by missy »

jGilder wrote:
"Bush has betrayed the soldiers"

I don't disagree. I just don't want the protesting to be taken out on the soldiers, as it finally came to be during Viet Nam.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

TomB wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Here is the Snopes version - draw your own conclusions.

Strange stuff...

Slan,
D.
Pretty much says what I said, I think.

Tom
Much the same thing all right. I was Googling around when you posted.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Weekenders wrote:She turned over messages that the POW's slipped in her hand (hoping she would convey them to families and the like) while in a greeting line to the NVA authorities, allegedly causing some of them to be tortured after she left. That's always been the biggest charge against her, worse than mere words.
TomB wrote:The story that Weeks listed in his post, I think has been disproved, recently. When JF received some award on TV, or nominated as one of the 20th Century's Greatest 100 Woman, (this title is probably wrong), a lot of research went into that supposed happening. The solidiers that were supposedly involved all say that it was not true. They met her, but all say that they did not pass her slips of paper.
hmmmm.... is it myth or fact -- or an assassination? Image
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Oops... Image
Last edited by jGilder on Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomB

Post by TomB »

jGilder wrote:
Weekenders wrote:She turned over messages that the POW's slipped in her hand (hoping she would convey them to families and the like) while in a greeting line to the NVA authorities, allegedly causing some of them to be tortured after she left. That's always been the biggest charge against her, worse than mere words.
TomB wrote:The story that Weeks listed in his post, I think has been disproved, recently. When JF received some award on TV, or nominated as one of the 20th Century's Greatest 100 Woman, (this title is probably wrong), a lot of research went into that supposed happening. The solidiers that were supposedly involved all say that it was not true. They met her, but all say that they did not pass her slips of paper.
hmmmm.... is it myth or fact -- or an assassination? Image

I think that the slips of paper story is indeed a myth/fiction. Hey, I'm no fan, and I pointed it out.

Tom
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

TomB wrote:
jGilder wrote:
This did not happen.
Obviously... I'm saying what if it did.
TomB

Post by TomB »

jGilder wrote:
TomB wrote:
jGilder wrote: What would happen if she was touring Guantanamo and this happened?
This did not happen.

Saw that the first time.
TomB

Post by TomB »

jGilder wrote:
TomB wrote:
jGilder wrote: What would happen if she was touring Guantanamo and this happened?
This did not happen.
OK, I'll bite, but this topic is so hypothetical it hardly bears disucssing, no? So, are you are saying what if GITMO prisoners handed her slips of paper about their treatment and she turned them over to the U.S. officials in charge there?

Not gonna happen! She hates the U.S. Military and they, her. So, why would she be in GITMO at the request of the military?

OK, a miracle has happened and there she is. Does she still hate the military? If so, then I would expect her to palm the papers, read them in the cozy confines of her hotel and turn them over to journalists or others to expose the U.S.

Or, is she there because she now loves the military? In that case, then she would do what they accused her of doing in Vietnam- turn them over to the captors, since she is on their side.

None of this, however, remotely relates to her actions during the conflct in Vietnam.

All the Best, Tom
I.D.10-t

Barbarella

Post by I.D.10-t »

I didn’t realise that she did anything other than star in Barbarella.

Oh shoot, now I want to listen to a Duran Duran tape.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."