For all those fans of European cars...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Fiat has never really been known for "quality." I dont speak Italian yet, but Fiat just might mean 'poop.' (in fact, you ever see the original "Italian Job?" How d'ya think those Minis were able to outrun those cops? They were driving Fiats! :boggle: )
I have a friend with a Fiat spider....talk about a money pit...but he wised up and dropped a little more money on beefing up the engine bay and dropping in a small Japanese engine. It's not quite the stinker it used to be.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

Ah yes, the Fiat Spider. A friend of mine bought a very nice looking used screaming yellow one some years after I had my experience with Fiat. I tried to talk him out of it but he had already fallen for it's sexy looks. Needless to say it was an automotive romance from hell. He loved her but, she done him wrong, over and over. :lol:
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

peteinmn wrote:Ah yes, the Fiat Spider. A friend of mine bought a very nice looking used screaming yellow one some years after I had my experience with Fiat. I tried to talk him out of it but he had already fallen for it's sexy looks. Needless to say it was an automotive romance from hell. He loved her but, she done him wrong, over and over. :lol:
Once you get to a certain point with those things you think that nothing else can go wrong with them....
Like I said, 'Fiat' just might be the Italian word for poop...
My friend has to replace pody parts every now and again still, even though everything mechanical is japanese, including the suspension, it just keeps falling apart! He's got this thing for Fiats though...even had himself one of those golly-awful looking 500s for a while that he was able to shoe-horn a VW rabbit engine into(not a great improvement, but hey!).
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:The Mayomobile.

Slan,
D. :D
Why is it called the "Mayomobile"? :-?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

izzarina wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:The Mayomobile.

Slan,
D. :D
Why is it called the "Mayomobile"? :-?
You've never been to County Mayo over in the West of Ireland then?

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: You've never been to County Mayo over in the West of Ireland then?

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
No, I haven't :lol: But even after that picture, I would still like to! :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Well, since everyone has started the piling-on of FIAT, I thought I'd expose myself to the throng :o . I've owned three different FIATs (FIAT is an acromyn for Fabbrica Italiana Automobili di Torino, which sound much less sexy in English "Automobiles Built in Torino"), and never had to do anything more maintenance to them than any other sports car owner would (less than a multiple Jaguar owner down the street from me), and I drove them harder than most here would care to try. FIATs did have problems with rust, but no more than most european cars of that era (British car joke: Q - Why shouldn't you fix the oil leaks on the engine of your MG/Triumph/Jaguar/Healy/Mini/etc? A - Because if you do, you'll lose the protective coating and the chassis will rust away). I'll get a shot of the last FIAT that I raced up on the web and post it for the amusement of all.

dave boling
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Fun link! I've always liked the bug-eye Sprites; now I really wish I had one...note the fuel economy. And all of 42 mighty bhp; "go, hamsters, go!" Ad copy from 1958:

"NEW AUSTIN HEALEY SPRITE ANNOUNCED
An Inexpensive Sports Car with many Outstanding Features

Today the Austin Motor Company makes motoring history with the announcement of a completely new small and in­expensive sports car. It is the Austin Healey Sprite powered by a special 948 .c.c. B.M.C. ‘A’-type engine (developing 42.5 b.h.p. at 5,000 r.p.m.) and costing £455 plus £233 17s. Purchase Tax in Great Britain.

It is some twenty years since Austin made a small sports car but the “Sprite” lives up fully to the fine tradition established in the 1920's and 30's and more recently by the Austin Healey 100. It has a maximum speed in the eighties and rapid acceleration but with a fuel consumption ranging from 30-45 m.p.g."

..also a Saab enthusiast. Here's one you don't see every day: The Sonett. (I love all the old quirky Saab coupes, too, especially the turbos-- owned two of them; the newer Saabs, alas, have gone more mainstream in design). This one is a Sonett III, Italian styling, which explains its good looks:
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Well, i drive a Fiat. Yes. I do. It's blue. Not pink. A Punto HGT. 130horses under its hood. looks similar to this fella.
:D
Henke

Post by Henke »

I'll have to be patriotic in this one. This is a beauty:
(1970 Saab Sonett III)

I'm not really that much into vintage cars. I love cars, but I'm more for max preformance (speed freak) so I like the new stuff better. Might have something to do with my age as well :wink:
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

amar wrote:Well, i drive a Fiat. Yes. I do. It's blue. Not pink. A Punto HGT. 130horses under its hood. looks similar to this fella.
Amar

Unless Fiats have vastly improved since my day, you will live to regret it! Sell now and get yourself a scooter!

Best :)
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

My Dad used to have one of these in the '70's,I used to think it was great :D

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

peteinmn wrote:
amar wrote:Well, i drive a Fiat. Yes. I do. It's blue. Not pink. A Punto HGT. 130horses under its hood. looks similar to this fella.

Amar

Unless Fiats have vastly improved since my day, you will live to regret it! Sell now and get yourself a scooter!

they have. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

amar wrote:
peteinmn wrote:Amar

they have. :)
"Fix it again, Tony" has now become "future in automotive technology"?
Reasonable person
Walden
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

amar wrote:Well, i drive a Fiat. Yes. I do. similar to this fella.
Except that its pink!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)