Has Anyone tried these?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kearnybagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Has Anyone tried these?

Post by Kearnybagpiper »

I purchased these finger weights a few weeks ago to help my finger movements and speed. I am left handed playing a right-handed set so I have difficulty playing tight triplets with my right hand. These weights have really helped my dexterity. See this site for a description and short video clip.

http://www.handhealth.com/weights.asp
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Looks interesting. Here's anoth product that may be of use -

http://www.stretchnow.com.au/products/flextend.htm

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Jessica Ventura

Post by Jessica Ventura »

daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

One of the more famous composers/pianists(could have been Schubert?) , tried using a contraption to strengthen his fingers in order to overcome the mechanical shortcomings of the piano of his day. Completely screwed-up his hands, and was never able to play in public again. I studied clarinet under two world-class players, had instruction at several tionols by phenominal musicians, and they all say that the only way to get better is by spending time with the instrument in your hands. If you want those crisp triplets to be at your fingertips, get out to the woodshed, and get to work (God knows I need to :D )

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

daveboling wrote:One of the more famous composers/pianists(could have been Schubert?) , tried using a contraption to strengthen his fingers in order to overcome the mechanical shortcomings of the piano of his day. Completely screwed-up his hands, and was never able to play in public again.
dave boling
(smartass on) 'twas Robert Schumann (smartass off). I myself found that pumping iron (dumbbells, barbells) helps strengthen my grip and playing control. Not too much, though. No wonder Arnie doesn not play UPs.
Christian
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I used to use one of those V-shaped thingies you use to build up hand strength. I thought it would help me play the chanter better. However, everyone I spoke to told me that I should have my fingers as relaxed as possible and that having stronger fingers only encouraged me to continue the death-grip when playing the chanter.
PJ
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Eddie Joyce used the cutout leather gloves for practice and when he took them off played like he on fire.
eric

Post by eric »

> I used to use one of those V-shaped thingies

Those increase grip strength, right? I do agree with your thinking that a little extra finger conditioning is helpful, but just not grip strength. I think increasing flex strength of the fingers (put palm on table and lift finger up: that kind of strength) is actually useful. The main thing with fingers though is Do Not Overdo It. You can easily damage your hands by overdoing it.

PJ, you do have it completely right that "relaxed" is key. So, if you pursue it, focus on making your hands, fingers, biceps, etc, completely relaxed, and work on lifting fingers with complete independance of each other. It has helped my playing.

> short video clip.

Just don't do it like the clip. You want to teach your fingers relaxed independence of movement, rather than the too-tense manner the clip does it.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure if stronger fingers and tendons would actually help your playing. I rock climb and have really strong fingers, this has not helped my pipe playing that I can tell. What it may help with is preventing injuring and the best way to prevent that is to warm your fingers up before you play.

A good exercise for this is to "flick" imagined water from your fingers 15 times three times. Another good one is to stretch your arm out and lightly pull your finges back and hold for a bit. Do this with different combinations of fingers and you should be able to get everything nice and relaxed for playing.

-Patrick
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Finger Flexibility

Post by Mike Hulme »

Flexibility is far more important than strength. You probably don't realise it, but your fingers are considerably stronger than someone who does not play a musical instrument.

One exercise I was prompted to try by my old violin teacher was to take a sheet of newspaper between finger and thumb, then scrunch it up using the next finger to gather some more in, and then the next finger and so on, until you claw it into a ball. Then repeat the exercise reversing the order of the fingers. Surprisingly it works rather well.

Laying your hands flat on a table and then lifting all your fingers up and away from the table is another good way of training the tendons. Hold your fingers up for a few seconds and sopt if you feel any strain.

To build up strength so you can play badly set up and strongly reeded pipes, place a coconut under each armpit and try and crack them.

Mike
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Just a cautionary word to those aiming to strengthen their hands and fingers, do not over do it. I am a classically trained pianist (in addition to a score of other instruments) and during high school I pumped a lot of iron. The result of my weight lifting seriously impeded my finger flexibility and agility... the really damaging repetitions were curls and bench pressing... and years of piano training were almost wiped out.

If I were to offer advice to those seeking flexibility and agility through weight lifting/training, I'd say don't. As Mr. Hulme has pointed out, your fingers are already stronger than those who do not play this or any other instrument. It isn't strength one needs, but agility and dexterity... and these are things that are seriously hampered by weight training. Stretching is a far better way to go.
Reepicheep

Re: Finger Flexibility

Post by Reepicheep »

Mike Hulme wrote:To build up strength so you can play badly set up and strongly reeded pipes, place a coconut under each armpit and try and crack them.
A coconut... in Mercia!? Where did you get it?
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Reepicheep wrote: A coconut... in Mercia!? Where did you get it?
Obviously carried in by a swallow.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

WannabePiper wrote:
Reepicheep wrote: A coconut... in Mercia!? Where did you get it?
Obviously carried in by a swallow.
... African or European?
djm

Post by djm »

Blue - oh! - damn! yyyeeeeaaaaaaaaaghhhhh ........

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.