Whistle Sale - Humphrey and Alba

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Sale - Humphrey and Alba

Post by PhilO »

1- Humphrey wide bore brass high D with acetal mouthpiece (brass pins), non-tuneable, like new condition - $75 includes shipping to lower 48 (new $95 plus added shipping).

2 - Alba Q1 high D, aluminum with polyester Albanite (resin) fipple plug, non-tuneable, like new condition - $50 includes shipping to lower 48 (new I believe now made exclusively for Big Whistle Music, where today the 50 British pounds price translates to $87, plus added shipping).

I just do not play these whistles - daily I play my Burkes, Copelands and Sindts. If interested, please contact me via e-mail or PM. Thanks.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Whistle Sale - Humphrey and Alba

Post by raindog1970 »

PhilO wrote:1- Humphrey wide bore brass high D with acetal mouthpiece (brass pins), non-tuneable, like new condition - $75 includes shipping to lower 48 (new $95 plus added shipping).
Ummm... yes it is tuneable, just not as easily so as my newer models. ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thanks Gary - I'm so used to the tuning slide tuneable, I forgot that the Humphrey does indeed ingeniously and easily tune by moving the mouthpiece up or down.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I can vouch that both of these are nice whistles as I played them both at the gathering.
Last edited by Unseen122 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I can vouch for the Humphrey as well. I quit buying whistles after I got it. It's my main session whistle.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Unseen122 wrote:I can ouch that both of these are nice whistles as I played them both at the gathering.
I don't know about "ouching" for them, but I'll vouch for them. I played both also and they're very nice. I need another D like a hole in the head or I would have bought the D. Gary's work is VERY impressive. Beautiful machining and a terrific sounding whistle. Like the perfect Generation that you dream of-- real traditional sound but much more refined (if that's not a contradiction). Loved it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You certainly know how to tempt someone!!

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm bumping this back up because both whistles have returned from loan/trades and are still available.

Philo
RoryTheRed

Re: Whistle Sale - Humphrey and Alba

Post by RoryTheRed »

PhilO wrote:1- Re: Whistle Sale - Humphrey and Alba wide bore brass high D
What's the difference between the narrow bore and the wide bore?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Rory,

I can't say much about Albas, but I have both the narrow-bore and wide-bore D Humphreys.

The narrow-bore is about the size of a Generation and plays like a very good one. Very traditional sounding, perhaps a trifle purer than a Generation (and noticably purer than a Faedog).

The wide-bore is more like a Walton's Mello D in size (like the Mello D, the head is sized to fit a narrow-bore C barrel.) Slightly less agile than the narrow-bore (still responsive, though), louder, a more full-bodied sound.

I like them both, but seem to spend more time playing the narrow-bore. But I wouldn't want to trade either of them in.