Taking up a new instrument :D

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Taking up a new instrument :D

Post by avanutria »

As if I didn't have enough to do. ;) Look what I got yesterday!

My mother played folk music on acoustic guitar and I've wanted to learn it for a long time now. I even took lessons when I was a child but just wasn't old enough to manage it.

Hobgoblin Music had a booth at the Warwick Folk Festival this weekend, and now I have my very own travel-sized (of course!) acoustic guitar! :D
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nice! How's it sound?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

ah - you should have gotten a mountain dulcimer! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hehe, Missy, it did cross my mind but guitar has been in my life longer than dulcimer.

JS - pretty good, actually! The booth also had a "Backpacker" (Martin brand?) guitar which sounded very tinny in comparison. This one has a lovely sound in my beginner opinion, although it's quieter than a full size acoustic and more suitable for solo play or practice than playing in a group. Suits me fine!

I'm hoping we still have some good weather here after my dissertation is done, I can go practice in the park, and not bump it into anyone on the tube when travelling round.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

avanutria wrote:JS - pretty good, actually! The booth also had a "Backpacker" (Martin brand?) guitar which sounded very tinny in comparison. This one has a lovely sound in my beginner opinion, although it's quieter than a full size acoustic and more suitable for solo play or practice than playing in a group. Suits me fine!
Would you mind saying what they cost? I've looked at the Vagabond travel guitar website, but I haven't convinced myself to spend the US $360 on something I can't play first. Here's a pic:
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

The one I got is £79 including a case. I think Hobgoblin US sells it for $155, not sure. It was cheaper than the Backpacker, that was £135 or so I believe.

There are tons of music shops in Seattle...I used to live there, albeit briefly. www.dustystrings.com in Fremont has tons of stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they stock a couple travel models as well.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

avanutria wrote:www.dustystrings.com in Fremont has tons of stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they stock a couple travel models as well.
Last time I was in there, the only travel guitar I saw was the Martin backpacker (which I don't like). I haven't been there in a little while, so they could have something new by now. (Seattle is a pain to get around in during the summer; there's a festival of some sort nearly every weekend, which makes weekend traffic as bad or worse than weekday rush-hour. :roll: )

Enjoy your new guitar!
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

You can also order one like avanutria's here:

http://www.troubadour.uk.com/

It's the one called cittern guitar.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

jsluder wrote:
avanutria wrote:JS - pretty good, actually! The booth also had a "Backpacker" (Martin brand?) guitar which sounded very tinny in comparison. This one has a lovely sound in my beginner opinion, although it's quieter than a full size acoustic and more suitable for solo play or practice than playing in a group. Suits me fine!
Would you mind saying what they cost? I've looked at the Vagabond travel guitar website, but I haven't convinced myself to spend the US $360 on something I can't play first.
I wouldn't spend that much for a mini-gtr, Slude. If you really want one, pay less and save extra for a real guitar.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

The Weekenders wrote:I wouldn't spend that much for a mini-gtr, Slude. If you really want one, pay less and save extra for a real guitar.
I've got the real guitar (1965 Gibson J-45). There are times when a smaller guitar would be nice, but I remain unconvinced that they're worth the money. The $155 for one like ava's is getting closer, though.
djm

Post by djm »

Don't be silly. That's not a real guitar. This is a guitar ....

:D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

how about a mando-banjitar?
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:Don't be silly. That's not a real guitar. This is a guitar ....

:D

djm
Who designed that one? Salvador Dali? :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

SteveS wrote:Who designed that one? Salvador Dali?
Close. Its called the Picasso Guitar. I can't find the link, but the lady's shop is in Toronto. She made that one special for Pat Metheny.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

My next instrument is Box after I played the one slowair had at the gathering I decided I had to have one.