viola fiddling

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Alasdair Fraser plays the viola as well as the fiddle - apart from solo albums with various accompanists (including Tony McManus - "Return to Kintail" is one of my very favourite albums of all time), he plays in the group Skyedance.

Caroline Lavelle is a fantastic cellist. She graced three or four of our sessions around last Christmas. She can play reels all right. She can play anything! She mentions our highland pipes-playing landlord (The Tree Inn, Stratton, near Bude) in the article here: http://www.carolinelavelle.com/letter11.html She still lives near me but we haven't seen her since New Year's Eve, more's the pity.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Woohoo! Just found out my sis still has her violin from the old days and has no use for it. I am kindly volunteering to give it a loving home. Interestingly, I guess because I played when younger, I'm finding I'm much more adept at playing by ear on the viola (and presumably the fiddle) than I am at whistle, for which I want that sheet music crutch.
(plus, I did a little online violin pricing--wow.)
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fluti31415 »

emmline wrote:Woohoo! Just found out my sis still has her violin from the old days and has no use for it. I am kindly volunteering to give it a loving home. Interestingly, I guess because I played when younger, I'm finding I'm much more adept at playing by ear on the viola (and presumably the fiddle) than I am at whistle, for which I want that sheet music crutch.
(plus, I did a little online violin pricing--wow.)
What good (and timely) news!! Have fun!
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
emmline

Post by emmline »

SteveShaw wrote:Alasdair Fraser plays the viola as well as the fiddle - apart from solo albums with various accompanists (including Tony McManus - "Return to Kintail" is one of my very favourite albums of all time), he plays in the group Skyedance.
I have a Skyedance, but my favorite is "The Road North" which he did with Paul Machlis.
Jonathan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

I've been wondering about the viola thing myself. Someone mentioned Martin Hayes playing the viola on In Good Company. I wonder if he tuned the viola up a 1 1/2 steps to match the Bb flute or if he just tuned it up or down a half-step and played the tunes in positions that they wouldn't normally be played. I'm about to take delivery of a Bb flute and my wife plays fiddle, so we were thinking about getting a second fiddle and setting it up/tuning down to play w/ the low flute. Then we thought about maybe using a viola (tuned up), but I don't how well that would work. Anyone have experiences they'd like to share?
Adios
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Jonathan wrote:I've been wondering about the viola thing myself. Someone mentioned Martin Hayes playing the viola on In Good Company. I wonder if he tuned the viola up a 1 1/2 steps to match the Bb flute or if he just tuned it up or down a half-step and played the tunes in positions that they wouldn't normally be played. I'm about to take delivery of a Bb flute and my wife plays fiddle, so we were thinking about getting a second fiddle and setting it up/tuning down to play w/ the low flute. Then we thought about maybe using a viola (tuned up), but I don't how well that would work. Anyone have experiences they'd like to share?
Adios
NOt sure on how the viola was tuned myself. . .

I will *hopefully* be having an "experience" when a low A flute I have on order arrives. I thought long & hard about a Bb but an A flute makes much more sense if you want to play with other people without requiring them to play in weird keys.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Violas are tuned in regular fifths. The strings are tuned to C - G - D - A.

The lowest string ( C) is an octave below middle C.

The remaining three strings are the same pitch as on the Violin.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Right, but you'd still have to tune it up 1 1/2 steps to play w/ a Bb flute, unless you wanted to re-learn all of your tunes in new and probably more difficult positions. Then again maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just a flute player :lol:
dubhlinn wrote:Violas are tuned in regular fifths. The strings are tuned to C - G - D - A.

The lowest string ( C) is an octave below middle C.

The remaining three strings are the same pitch as on the Violin.

Slan,
D.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

emmline wrote: I have a Skyedance, but my favorite is "The Road North" which he did with Paul Machlis.
His association with Paul Machlis is superb and I mean to get all the albums. I don't know whether the one with Tony McManus was a one-off (Return to Kintail) but it's wonderful. I play it more than any other CD I have.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Jonathan wrote: I'm just a flute player :lol:

Well for what it's worth..I'm just a fiddle player :lol:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
fidla

Re: viola fiddling

Post by fidla »

emmline wrote:I have one, that I used to play...lots of years ago, and I didn't totally stink.
Obviously, most fiddle music is written in treble clef, and isn't all that viola compatible.
Anyone know of a good use for viola in the realm of ITM?
(all jokes aside--save them for the bodhran!)
I use 5 string fiddles for my Irish fiddling...yes, the lowest string is C, same as a viola.

One of my favorite tunes to play on the 5 string is "Dinky's Reel". I start on the G string, and play it 4 times through, modulating up a key each time. It's a real crowd pleaser to say the least :)

With a 5 string, you can also play up on the E. It's really a great concept.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/fidla">Hear me play</a>
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

fidla wrote:
emmline wrote:I have one, that I used to play...lots of years ago, and I didn't totally stink.
Obviously, most fiddle music is written in treble clef, and isn't all that viola compatible.
Anyone know of a good use for viola in the realm of ITM?
(all jokes aside--save them for the bodhran!)
I use 5 string fiddles for my Irish fiddling...yes, the lowest string is C, same as a viola.

One of my favorite tunes to play on the 5 string is "Dinky's Reel". I start on the G string, and play it 4 times through, modulating up a key each time. It's a real crowd pleaser to say the least :)

So it's like playing a violin and a viola at the same time? Kewl! 8)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
emmline

Post by emmline »

At the moment I'm having to satisfy the fiddling urge with the viola anyway. The violin is older and seems more in need of a tuneup. At this point, nothing from rosin dust to peg compound is keeping that E peg in place, and I'm hoping a violin shop in Baltimore can do some tweaking and teach me a thing or two in the process.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

fidla wrote:

A 5-string .... that is cool!
I wonder if that's the reel we call Dinky's Dorian? Great tune. Anyway, I never thought of modulating that up, let alone thru 4 changes .... far out!

Good luck, Emmline -- can you wrap a tuning peg with thread or Teflon tape, or beeswax it like you can a flute tenon or tuning slide?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Jonathan wrote:Right, but you'd still have to tune it up 1 1/2 steps to play w/ a Bb flute, unless you wanted to re-learn all of your tunes in new and probably more difficult positions. Then again maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just a flute player :lol:
Martin Hayes plays plenty of things in new and more difficult keys. According to an interview I read, he doesn't generally leave the 1st position, though.
William Bajzek