A new whistler

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
denisliber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A new whistler

Post by denisliber »

Hi!
Hello to all great people here!
I must say that reading this amazing site and forum helped me a lot to start whistling. My friend got a pennywhistle as a gift and both of us were infected with the whistling virus :).
We did not know anything about the pennywhistles but this site is just great (oo repeating myself :) ).

Anyway here is the picture of a new whistler from Tel-Aviv:

jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Welcome! What style of music are you playing on your new whistle?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
denisliber

Post by denisliber »

Well, for now mainly the "training" music, I learn only for a month now.
But as you can understand from the flags behind in the image, Celtic and Jewish tunes will be preferable...
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

Shalom and welcome to the forum.
Some friends of mine up in Haifa
are keen tin whistlers.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Les Cruttenden

Welcome and Shalom

Post by Les Cruttenden »

Hi there , Shalom and welcome to C&H....same question asked previously...what particular whistle music are you into...i've only been at it for 9 months but the bug seems to grow and grow.....doubt it will be long before you start to look at other whistles...i feel quite unfaithful to my first whistle...ive now got over a dozen and still look at others ! Again welcome to the site...do keep in touch.Les.
Les Cruttenden

Sorry denisliber...

Post by Les Cruttenden »

You have already answered the question i asked, about the type of music you prefer.....its just that i'm one of the thicker members of C&F...Jewish and Celtic......what a great combination...Les.
denisliber

Post by denisliber »

O! nice people here!
I realy like the Celtic music (to listen to up untill I got the whistle), right now I'm practicing in learning the easy airs and hope to advance in couple of months to the reels and jigs.
I never learned music before and can not read the notes yet, I found only one site "Digital Tradition" providing the fingering notation (very usefull) , if you know more like this I'll be thankfull :). (Sorry for the not so polished english).
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

denisliber wrote:(Sorry for the not so polished english).
Your English is fine, Denis! It's very clear and easily understood, and that's all that matters.

Even if it wasn't clear, we'd still be glad you were here. :D
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Shalom! Glad you found us... for a wealth of whistle tunes, clips and the like, try http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/- Wanderer shares loads of good tunes.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

denisliber wrote:I'm practicing in learning the easy airs and hope to advance in couple of months to the reels and jigs.
I never learned music before and can not read the notes yet, I found only one site "Digital Tradition" providing the fingering notation (very usefull) , if you know more like this I'll be thankfull :). (Sorry for the not so polished english).
Welcome Denis,

Don't worry about the written music. Folk music was meant to be learned and handed down by ear. Trust your ears and your fingers and have a good time. People who use sheet music can never play with their eyes closed. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Doc Jones wrote:
denisliber wrote:I'm practicing in learning the easy airs and hope to advance in couple of months to the reels and jigs.
Welcome Denis,

Don't worry about the written music. Folk music was meant to be learned and handed down by ear. Trust your ears and your fingers and have a good time. People who use sheet music can never play with their eyes closed. :)

Doc
Good to have you Denis!

Let me be the first to defuse the the good Dr.'s post.

Learning to read music can only help you so long as you keep it in perspective. While learning music by ear is the most beneficial way to learn, reading notes will NOT hurt you in anyway. It will be very helpful for that little bit of the tune you "can't quite figure out".

I, personally, am a very poor music reader, I can't play a peice by reading through it. However, I can figure out a tune if I sit down with the music for a little while. This is handy. Just don't become dependent on it.

P.S. learning to read music has not decreased my ability to play with my eyes closed in any regard.
Everyone likes music
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Doc Jones wrote:... People who use sheet music can never play with their eyes closed. :) ... Doc
LOL... 'tain't so! :lol:

My kids liken me to Stevie Wonder.. sittin over here, playin' and swayin', eyes tight shut, with the headphones on and whatever tune I am learning playing in just my ears, with the notation or tab on the screen in case I need a reminder of just what that little note maneuver is that I'm wrestling with. I prefer a combo of listen, look and learn... helps me get the tune better and faster... also helps me hone my listening and reading skills. I vote "use whatever works for you".
:)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
denisliber

Post by denisliber »

Thanks a lot for the advices!

Actually my learning progresses faster than I thought it would be, the whistle is a easy instrument to play and the sound is really cool! (not all of my neighbors agree with me :) )
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:
denisliber wrote:(Sorry for the not so polished english).
Your English is fine, Denis! It's very clear and easily understood, and that's all that matters.
And better than that of the average U.S. college freshman.

And as for learning to read music -- Yes, folk music is meant to be learned by ear, but knowing how to read music and having a little music theory under your hat can be very helpful.

I can read music, but I can't count worth a damn, so I use the sheetmusic as a reference, but depend on what I've heard for the rhythm and phrasing.

And I cannot recommend playing with your eyes closed. If something is flung at you, you want to be able to see it coming.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

as the the "bothering the neighbors" issue, gam bazeh nitapel (hebrew for: "that problem too we will solve".
there are at least 2 very good whistles which are quiet. one is not particularly expensive, especially if you already have a tube. i might have 1 or 2 extras. we are talking a mack hoover whitecap for 30 bucks with my extra tube. let me know cause i have to send him something else and i can throw in the tube.

meir