Spillane Whistle Discussion #2

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

blackhawk wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:(Rubbing eyes and yawning)

Hey guys! What did I miss?
In a nutshell, KD posted about some anonymous person selling some whistle somewhere else, then Talbert began jumping up and down yelling "IT'S ME, IT'S ME, IT'S ME! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!"
Ok. Got it. What an odd thing, that.

Dale
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DaleWisely wrote:
blackhawk wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:(Rubbing eyes and yawning)

Hey guys! What did I miss?
In a nutshell, KD posted about some anonymous person selling some whistle somewhere else, then Talbert began jumping up and down yelling "IT'S ME, IT'S ME, IT'S ME! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!"
Ok. Got it. What an odd thing, that.

Dale
Yeah, who would have thought he would respond that way. I am disappointed.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

blackhawk wrote:
perrins57 wrote:Blackhawk please would you do a similar summary of the Political sometimes religious thread so I dont have to read them all to catch up?
I'd be honored. :)

No one likes anyone else, although they all pretend they do. Everyone is wrong except for the one writing any particular post, and he or she is the only one who truly understands reality.

Now...you never have to read another political or religious post. :D
Man you've totally shattered my whole faith belief system! Nothing for it now but to go away quietly and fall on my sword. :cry:
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

perrins57 wrote:
blackhawk wrote:
perrins57 wrote:Blackhawk please would you do a similar summary of the Political sometimes religious thread so I dont have to read them all to catch up?
I'd be honored. :)

No one likes anyone else, although they all pretend they do. Everyone is wrong except for the one writing any particular post, and he or she is the only one who truly understands reality.

Now...you never have to read another political or religious post. :D
Man you've totally shattered my whole faith belief system! Nothing for it now but to go away quietly and fall on my sword. :cry:
Don't give up hope. Jesus loves us all, regardless. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I enjoy these Tal-threads. :party:
Denny

Post by Denny »

amar wrote:I enjoy these Tal-threads. :party:
Is it because you don't have palm trees?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Denny wrote:
amar wrote:I enjoy these Tal-threads. :party:
Is it because you don't have palm trees?
emmm, lemme think..........no.
:D
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hoovers and O'Riordans are *NOT* machined in any way that I'm aware of - with perhaps the only exception being the machines that the makers use to shape, cut and sand their mouthpieces by hand. Make sense? Having visited Mack's shop several times over the years, and spoken with Pat on several occasions as well, it does not appear that either maker have anything to do with mass production, computer or mechanical reproducing machines, injection molding or any other form of 'assisted' manufacture.

They just plug away with each individual whistle as an individual instrument. Hand shaping and voicing every one. And ironically, I've never heard of them wanting to run the price through the roof because their name was attached to it - even though they undoubtedly have much greater presence in the whistle making community at large.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Brian, that's what I mean by 'machined'. Things like drill presses, routers and whathaveyou. Machines as opposed to strictly tools...knives, planes, hand-drills.

So now we have three categories: tooled, machined, and (I'm not sure what to call it) 'manufactured'. I think I recall seeing a 'tooled' whistle this weekend -- one that was made by hand with nothing but hand tools.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

OK, I follow - though I think the generally accepted term 'machined' tends to now relate to something created using an automated process and not hand worked at all.

I don't know of any makers who use strictly hand tools to create whistles. Who made the one you saw? Pretty cool - (and time consuming I would think!)
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Brian Lee wrote:I don't know of any makers who use strictly hand tools to create whistles.
What about feet? I'm still upset at my deferred success in following the bloody :devil: hand instructions, using a hand-held power drill on a piece of copper tubing that I was holding as steady as I could to the ground with my foot :o
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I wouldn't pay $400 bucks for any whistle. I seriously doub't I'd ever pay $200 for a whistle. There are plenty of great whistles out there for <$100. The most I ever paid for a whistle was $35.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Brian Lee wrote:OK, I follow - though I think the generally accepted term 'machined' tends to now relate to something created using an automated process and not hand worked at all.

I don't know of any makers who use strictly hand tools to create whistles. Who made the one you saw? Pretty cool - (and time consuming I would think!)
Someone help me out here....Tom Dowling, was it you who brought the whistle made in Eastern Europe? The barky one? I half recall that someone said it was entirely hand worked. Then again, I may have misheard in a major way.

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyghress wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:OK, I follow - though I think the generally accepted term 'machined' tends to now relate to something created using an automated process and not hand worked at all.

Someone help me out here....Tom Dowling, was it you who brought the whistle made in Eastern Europe? The barky one? I half recall that someone said it was entirely hand worked. Then again, I may have misheard in a major way.

Tyg
You're right. Tygh. A guy in the Czech republic makes them from Elderberry. Gets the bore by scooping out the marrow. They come with bark or without bark (there was a thread about them at some point, I seem to remember). The ones without bark he smoothes by hand. The hole construction is interesting: He flattens the whistle around the holes so that the walls are very very thing around the holes (that's important for tuning, avoiding the so called chimney effect).

Very nice whistles, brought to Tom's attention by Colin & Brigitte Goldie, I take it.
/Bloomfield
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:They come with bark or without bark (there was a thread about them at some point, I seem to remember).
<a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 8">Here</a>, perhaps?

Or maybe <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 7">here</a>.

And a nice picture <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t'chere</a>.

I'd love to have seen one of those in person. Stupid geographical limitations...