Man shot on Tube

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Tyler Morris wrote:...my background and education is in Law Enforcement
Does this mean you have a Criminal Justice degree, or some other training?
I just don't know what goes into a Law Enforcement education...

P.S., that does go a ways toward explaining your Holmesian avatar...
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:...my background and education is in Law Enforcement
Does this mean you have a Criminal Justice degree, or some other training?
I just don't know what goes into a Law Enforcement education...

P.S., that does go a ways toward explaining your Holmesian avatar...
There are myriad branches of Law Enforcement Ed. Mine is Criminal Justice/Investigations...
sorry for not clarifying earlyer. :)
I got the degree and did a stint in prison Admin and currently, aside from my photography career, do Admin/Investigation work for a security company.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

The police had been watching this guy's flat, they followed him to the tube station and challenged him to stop. UK armed response units have recieved instructions on how do deal with suspected suicide bombers based on experience gained by Israeli security forces. This is the first example of these "techniques" being applied here.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Denny

Post by Denny »

perrins57 wrote:The police had been watching this guy's flat, they followed him to the tube station and challenged him to stop. UK armed response units have recieved instructions on how do deal with suspected suicide bombers based on experience gained by Israeli security forces. This is the first example of these "techniques" being applied here.
Makes interrogation a bit sticky, no?
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

gary, correct me if i'm wrong, but in situations where there is a suspected suicide bomb and there is the possibility of many deaths and or injuries, isn't the procedure to "shoot first, ask questions later"?

my dad (retired colonel, usarmy) tells me this is so in the us. just wondered if it was the same in the uk.
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

scarhand wrote:gary, correct me if i'm wrong, but in situations where there is a suspected suicide bomb and there is the possibility of many deaths and or injuries, isn't the procedure to "shoot first, ask questions later"?

my dad (retired colonel, usarmy) tells me this is so in the us. just wondered if it was the same in the uk.
It is now - not so before 9/11
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I hate living in a police state. I hate for others to have to too. Far as I'm concerned we should have woke up when they started sneaking around, trying to catch minor traffic violations, that something was going awry. It's like the frog who drowned in the cream. If he'd kept kicking he might have gotten a lump of butter to save himself on, but he chose to wait till it was too late.
Reasonable person
Walden
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Walden wrote:I hate living in a police state. I hate for others to have to too. Far as I'm concerned we should have woke up when they started sneaking around, trying to catch minor traffic violations, that something was going awry. It's like the frog who drowned in the cream. If he'd kept kicking he might have gotten a lump of butter to save himself on, but he chose to wait till it was too late.
What's you answer Walden?

(Name's Mark btw)
Whistling Pops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistling Pops »

perrins57 wrote:The police had been watching this guy's flat, they followed him to the tube station and challenged him to stop. UK armed response units have recieved instructions on how do deal with suspected suicide bombers based on experience gained by Israeli security forces. This is the first example of these "techniques" being applied here.

Is this the same shooting that they are now saying was a mistake? :oops:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Yes. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm but they're not saying it was a "mistake".

But the rationale behind the shooting is explained here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4708373.stm

Of course there'll be a full enquiry into the shooting, and hopefully that'll uncover reasons why the man didn't stop when ordered to do so by armed police officers. Generally speaking, if armed coppers shout "Armed Police, stand still!" you stand still, you don't leg it down a busy street full of coppers, into a crowded tube station full of coppers, and onto a train full of people...

Whatever the outcome of the enquiry, the message this incident gives is a simple one: Met. Officers aren't taking any chances.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
djm

Post by djm »

I don't know if there is much of this in England, where police are usually unarmed, but there is a thing over here, and especially in the US, called "death by cop". It is actually a recognized form of suicide, where the police are provoked into killing someone who wants to die. From the several news stories it would seem this character definitely had a deathwish.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

No, 'death by cop' is not a phenomenon that has crossed the pond yet. There have been a number of cases where nutters have been shot by armed police; one wielding a sword who refused to 'stand still' and advanced on the armed officers. Others have been shot because objects they held or 'pointed at' armed police looked sufficiently like firearms to cause the officer to open fire.

Armed crime is rapidly on the increase here, and although there were 'only' 73 fatal shootings recorded last year (I believe), the number of woundings and other firearms related crimes is up dramatically. In spite of the near total ban on lawful firearms ownership imposed after Dunblane. Of course, that ban only affected law-abiding sportsmen and women, and had no impact on criminal ownership and use of guns.

London is having to come to terms with seeing armed officers more and more frequently, and where once it was rare, it's now becoming all too commonplace. This is why it's possible for the (on the face of it laughable) spotty-faced teenager to hold up banks and building societies ("savings and loans"?) with nothing more than a banana in a paper bag...staff wisely do not take any chances and nor should they. Nor should said 'armed robber' be too surprised if he stops a round or two waving the same banana-in-a-bag at armed officers called to the scene.

In the tube case, there will be two enquiries; the first will be the police enquiry to examine whether the officers involved in the shooting behaved in accordance with procedures and circumstances. The second will be the public Coroner's enquiry to determine whether or not the dead man was 'lawfully killed'.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

GaryKelly wrote:...staff wisely do not take any chances and nor should they.
It is good to know that Dale's entourage, staff wisely, keeps our leader safe!
Alan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

While I can understand the pattern of thought that underlies the whole thing, I find it quite unsettling when policemen discharge five bullets into someone's head at close range when they already have him down.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Probably been taking lessons from the S.A.S.

http://www.emigrant.ie/article.asp?iCat ... leID=13817

from a BBC site,

"An inquest in September concluded the three had been lawfully killed. However, the result was overturned at Strasbourg in 1995 when Britain was found to have used excessive force and breached the European Convention on Human Rights. "

It will be interesting to see what kind of Spin is put on this one.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats