Warning to C&Fers who aren't English or Australian

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

TomB wrote:Just bumping waiting for somone to fill us in on the latest.

Tom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 706335.stm

There you go.

You will have to wait for Gary, Martin or Wombat to translate this into simple terms.I have not got a clue what it's all about.

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

dubhlinn wrote:

Tom

There you go.

You will have to wait for Gary, Martin or Wombat to translate this into simple terms.I have not got a clue what it's all about.

Slan,
Thanks. I'm not certain but I think it means that England is getting its butt kicked.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

TomB wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:

Tom

There you go.

Slan,
Thanks. I'm not certain but I think it means that England is getting its butt kicked.

Tom
I had that bit figured out, I just don't know how hard the kicking is :wink:

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
TomB

Post by TomB »

dubhlinn wrote:
TomB wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 706335.stm

There you go.

Slan,

Haven't seen much of Marrtin or Gary today, so it could be bad.

Tom

Tom
I had that bit figured out, I just don't know how hard the kicking is :wink:

Slan,
D.
Montana

Post by Montana »

A quote from the above BBC link: "And they may come to regret the miss by Pietersen, who spilled an untaxing chance low to him at extra cover just before tea when Clarke was still getting his eye in. "

Oh... of course... Clarke was getting his eye in...
WHAT?! :boggle:
Is there any language translator out there that can help with this?
THe only thing I can figure out is the explanation of why Peitersen spilled his chance: his tea low level light was on. He must have spilled his tea.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Montana wrote:A quote from the above BBC link: "And they may come to regret the miss by Pietersen, who spilled an untaxing chance low to him at extra cover just before tea when Clarke was still getting his eye in. "

Maybe it means it took him too long to figure out the spin of the ball being pitched, (do they use "pitched?"), and by the time he got going he was out?? Probably way off base.

Speaking of "getting his eye in" does anyone know what they call a clumsy opthomolagist?

An Eye dropper.

Tom
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

We are merely lulling the Ozzies into a sense of false security. There are still 3 more days of play to go, dontcha know. We'll skittle 'em out early tomorrow, and then spend 2 and a half days at the crease showing 'em how to bat properly. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
TomB

Post by TomB »

GaryKelly wrote:We are merely lulling the Ozzies into a sense of false security. There are still 3 more days of play to go, dontcha know. We'll skittle 'em out early tomorrow, and then spend 2 and a half days at the crease showing 'em how to bat properly. :)

Thanks, I think. What is the "skittle 'em out" reference to?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Montana wrote:A quote from the above BBC link: "And they may come to regret the miss by Pietersen, who spilled an untaxing chance low to him at extra cover just before tea when Clarke was still getting his eye in. "

THe only thing I can figure out is the explanation of why Peitersen spilled his chance: his tea low level light was on. He must have spilled his tea.
It means we might be sorry that Pietersen dropped a catch that any five year-old could've held ("spilled an untaxing chance) while he was fielding at extra cover ("at extra cover"), just before tea. And the Pratt dropped Clarke before the Aussie was settled in.

To get one's eye in... to become accustomed to conditions. In this case, to get used to the bowling, the pace (speed of the ball), how the ball bounces off the pitch, where the fielders are, and actually being able to hit the ball. It takes a while, and for the first few overs a batsman is a bit tentative about going for his shots "until his eye is in." Which of course is when he'll make mistakes, like being caught at extra cover. Except when bloody Pietersen is daydreaming out there. :evil:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

TomB wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:We are merely lulling the Ozzies into a sense of false security. There are still 3 more days of play to go, dontcha know. We'll skittle 'em out early tomorrow, and then spend 2 and a half days at the crease showing 'em how to bat properly. :)

:lol: It means that our bowlers will be knocking the stumps over like ten-pins. "Skittles" is, uhm, ten-pin bowling over here. Sort of. There's an indoor version of 10-pin bowling played in pubs, which is called skittles. I don't spose that helped much either!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Very confusing game this Cricket :-? :-? :-?

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
TomB

Post by TomB »

GaryKelly wrote:
TomB wrote:

:lol: It means that our bowlers will be knocking the stumps over like ten-pins. "Skittles" is, uhm, ten-pin bowling over here. Sort of. There's an indoor version of 10-pin bowling played in pubs, which is called skittles. I don't spose that helped much either!
Gary: That made a lot of sense. Skittles is kind of a bowling game in some spots here, also.

However, I can't believe that nobody has yet to "see fit" to make reference to my little humor attempt earlier in the thread.

Tom
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

TomB wrote:However, I can't believe that nobody has yet to "see fit" to make reference to my little humor attempt earlier in the thread.
Perhaps they're trying to forget it. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

A "deferred success" on the opthalmologist joke eh? :) A bit like Pietersen dropping that dolly...
TomB

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:
TomB wrote:However, I can't believe that nobody has yet to "see fit" to make reference to my little humor attempt earlier in the thread.
Perhaps they're trying to forget it. :wink:
Yeah, yeah.