Hang in there London...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

So it seems. Radio news bulletin indicates that the Met. Police regard these four "incidents" as 'very serious'. (But only the one reported injury so far).

We're keenly aware that yes indeed, these could have been suicide bomber "deferred successes." Armed police are said to be 'on station' at the hospital where the one reported injury is being treated... early indications are that the injured person was holding a rucksack which detonated.
We're also keenly aware that the Ozzies are all out for 190 after just 40 overs at Lord's. That'll give us something to hang on to, in spite of the fact that it looks like London just came very close to a repeat of the horror.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tyler Morris wrote:edited for deferred spelling...
:lol:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Perhaps the more horrible of horrible fears is beginning to be allayed:
The BBC wrote:Large areas around all four sites were cordoned off. Initial tests at Oval station revealed no traces of any chemical agent, police said.
No traces of chemicals found at Warren St. Station either.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

There's also been a fat bloke arrested near Downing Street. His black shirt was hanging open, suggested he's been searched for bombs.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

They're saying on TV here that they're also looking for a fellow who ran away from one of the stations with wires sticking out of the back of his shirt. I wonder if it's the same guy?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I don't think so - they were looking for him in University College Hospital (a staff memo got leaked) and that guy was over by Downing Street.

The internal memo said they were looking for a guy with a blue shirt on, with a hole in the back and wires sticking out. BTW that hospital is very near to Warren Street Station.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

LOL...

Some idiot just tried to rob someone in Euston Square (about a two minute walk from Warren St Station). Some two dozen policemen, including armed ones, were in the area at the time. The guy was easily caught.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:LOL...

Some idiot just tried to rob someone in Euston Square (about a two minute walk from Warren St Station). Some two dozen policemen, including armed ones, were in the area at the time. The guy was easily caught.
You have to wonder about people, don't you? "Gee...look at all these police! Looks like a great place for a hold up!" :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

A hypothetical situation:

A suicide bomber walks into a crowded railway station with a bomb in his backpack. He hits the button and nothing happens. Embarrassed, he goes back home, where he eventually dies of old age.

When he gets to Paradise, can he claim his death as a "deferred success"?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I heard this as I was driving my son to an appointment this morning. When I first heard it, I thought they were replaying what happened a couple of weeks ago.
Thank goodness, at this point, there haven't been the mass number of casualties and wounded there were the last time. I really hope they find the idiots who did it soon. My prayers are with all of you Londoners today!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Don't worry guys, today was a mere sneeze. A deferred sneeze, even.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Hubby called and told me more bombs had gone off in London. :o Glad to hear that it wasn't worse. (*You gotta wonder what gets into people who do this, I can only conclude they are more than a few fries short of a happy meal.*)

:( Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Sunnywindo wrote:Hubby called and told me more bombs had gone
off in London.
Uh, me too. Looking up the news, that was confusing, so I came here to
find the real story off Beth and the other Londoners. Thank God it wasn't
worse. (Hi to Beth and Martin, friends-once-removed, via Gary..)

Lesl
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Hi Lesl, coming over to London anytime soon? If you come on a Thursday there will be plent of room on the tube...
...so I came here to find the real story off Beth and the other Londoners...
Heehee, do I get a press badge?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

avanutria wrote: If you come on a Thursday there will be plent of room on the tube...
Huh, I hadn't thought of that; 7/7 was a Thursday, too...
What's up with that?