The Future of Celtic Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hiro Ringo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hiro Ringo »

It's very interesting that they Celtic ancients thought it no good to write about their own religious issues.
Then I wonder(not so seriously though) which is the extreme opposite to this belief? Probably Jewish ancients who wrote the Testament?

I am not sure. But I love to think about it. :)
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

Tintin wrote:If the term Celtic is used to describe the Irish, Scots, Bretons, etc., shouldn't we be calling the English Anglo-Saxons or Normans, the French Franks, Normans, Celts, Ostrogoths, Visigoths, or Gallo-Romans, the Germans Lombards, Saxons, Allemanni, Angles, Saxons, Burgundii, Visigoth etc, etc... In other words, we don't use ancient tribal names for people from most countries, so why use it for Ireland, Scotland, etc.?
Celtic is not a racial tag. It refers to the Celtic branch of the Indo-European language family. The remaining Celtic languages are spoken in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Brittany. Recently Galicia in Spain seems to have jumped onto the Celtic bandwagon (probably thanks to Paddy Moloney.) Although there may have been some exchange of musical traditions between Ireland and Galicia, the Galician language belongs to the Italic branch.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

For the edification of the mind concerning all things Gaul I recommend a thorough study of the Asterix and Obelix
publications.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

I do not understand a single thing in this thread.

I thought I might have, but when I read about caezer and the garlic wars, I thought for just a moment that I must have been over on my salad forum.

I am a very confused American right now. See, I'm a bit Norwegian (that's where the name comes from... Christianson), a good deal English, a tad german... and I have one Irish great grandfather. This means I am 1/16th Irish. I learned in Irealand that this means I am actually 0/16ths Irish, 16/16ths American, and probably a lot of bloody English as well. I have to agree.

Now, If celtic is a feeling, then I might be. That would be my only shot at it. I really doubt that as well.

I have an Irish hat that I wear a lot, and I play the whistle, but I play a lot of blues on it, and movie tunes, and I figured out a couple of spanish things, and Native American stuff.

I'm learing "The Star of County Down" right now, so maybe if I play that while I where my Irish hat, and think about My great grandpa, and my trip to Ireland, and Celtic is really about feel, then maybe I can be celtic for a moment.

As you can see, I have no idea what the crappola you guys are talking about. I'm going to go look at more plans for building a PVC flute now. Bono is an idiot.
Everyone likes music
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

toughknot wrote:For the edification of the mind concerning all things Gaul I recommend a thorough study of the Asterix and Obelix
publications.
I understand this very well.
Everyone likes music
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

ninjaaron wrote:I do not understand a single thing in this thread.

I thought I might have, but when I read about caezer and the garlic wars, I thought for just a moment that I must have been over on my salad forum.

I am a very confused American right now. See, I'm a bit Norwegian (that's where the name comes from... Christianson), a good deal English, a tad german... and I have one Irish great grandfather. This means I am 1/16th Irish. I learned in Irealand that this means I am actually 0/16ths Irish, 16/16ths American, and probably a lot of bloody English as well. I have to agree.

Now, If celtic is a feeling, then I might be. That would be my only shot at it. I really doubt that as well.

I have an Irish hat that I wear a lot, and I play the whistle, but I play a lot of blues on it, and movie tunes, and I figured out a couple of spanish things, and Native American stuff.

I'm learing "The Star of County Down" right now, so maybe if I play that while I where my Irish hat, and think about My great grandpa, and my trip to Ireland, and Celtic is really about feel, then maybe I can be celtic for a moment.

As you can see, I have no idea what the crappola you guys are talking about. I'm going to go look at more plans for building a PVC flute now. Bono is an idiot.
Sounds to me like you already have more of a grasp of what "Celtic" is than most people. i.e Quite mixed up and hard to define. You're smarter than you think Christianson.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

ninjaaron wrote:I do not understand a single thing in this thread.

YES = Caustic and biting sardonic wit.
YES = Off the wall communication style,
YES = Mad as a hatter.
YES = Wont give it to say he has any "feelings".

CONCLUSION = If not Irish - then certainly has Celtic origins.
:poke:
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

The whole 'Celt', 'Keltoi', 'Gael' and 'Gaul' thing is still bugging me. I just asked our department librarian if she could help me straighten this out. This is a coal-oriented research institute under, but far from the campus of, the University of Kentucky, and I got a strange look for my trouble. However, I think her librarian instincts kicked in and I'll probably have something in a day or two.

As far as being celtic - I'm of Italian heritage (which means that my people were more likely on the Roman side of the conquest of Gaul) but I like Irish music, beer, whiskey and history, and that's enough for me.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Hey Random, why didn't you enter the gurning competition, you're a natural!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

perrins57 wrote:Hey Random, why didn't you enter the gurning competition, you're a natural!
I'm not sure how to take that. I suppose that it is a compliment coming from the Undisputed Avatar Gurning Champion of C&F; on the other hand, "gurning" and "natural" seem to imply something quite different.

In truth, my avatar is not me; as one astute C&F'er has noted, it is of little Alex as played by Malcolm McDowell in "A Clockwork Orange"

I have never used a self-portrait as an avatar lest my natural proclivity for gurning become painfully apparent.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Ninja, I'm with you. This is the strangest thred I've read in some time.
mukade

Post by mukade »

I once had a dose of celtic feeling in Dublin's Heuston station.
It was less to do with music, and more to do with a dodgy pub lunch.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Random notes wrote:The whole 'Celt', 'Keltoi', 'Gael' and 'Gaul' thing is still bugging me.
I just asked our department librarian if she could help me straighten this out.
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing what you dig up.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Versongetorix= Pherson Getridge

earliest citation of the name Pherson I have seen.

A flight of fancy on my part to so state but that name sticks in my head with the supposed equivalent.

I like the spirit of ninja ron's post even if I am adding to the crapola.

One of the things that bugs me a bit is when people overplay the Celtic heritage of Scots. While it's true that the Scoti came to Western Scotland and speak a branch of Gaelic, some of the most influential differences of Scots vs. Irish are the Norse influences, combined with Celt, mysterious Picts and even some English. There's a real interesting fictional book about McBeth, (title escapes me but it's about "Thorfinn"), which explores the whole Orkney Island Scandahoovian aspect of NorthEastern Scottish culture. I came away realizing that some of the things we most associate with Highlanders (like large bodies and long faces) and Scottish royalty are likely attributed to Norse or even Pict genes, more than Celt.

And, even in Ireland are some Norse and Norman contributions, genetically and linguistically. The lady sitting next to me here at work is a Fitzsimmons, or Fils-simon, whose father's side of her family is "pure" Irish. She is a tall gal, with sandy blond hair, large bones and few freckles. Of all the stereotype Irish facial and body-types I have seen over the years, she doesn't look much like any of 'em...part of her family are from Rathlin Island but she got the Norman genotype, complete with diabetes tendency and high blood pressure. She might as well be Brunhilde, frankly. And, doesn't care much for the Trad, either but respects the singing.

So, I agree that Celtic is often more of a feeling than some specific race, at THIS point in history anyway.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
TomB

Re: Celtic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TomB »

perrins57 wrote:
Les Cruttenden wrote:I much subscribe to the view though ofTony McGinley...'Celtic is a feeling'....
I thought that was Coke-a-cola?

Nah, a feeling is something you "get hooked on."

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"