Walls across the border.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Walls across the border.

Post by SteveK »

Flyingcursor wrote:
To make a long story short some areas of Arizona are building walls along the Mexican border.
Meanwhile back in the northwest someone who wants to has dug a tunnel from BC to Washington state. Better international relations through drugs.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national ... 50721.html
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

TomB wrote:Well, I'm not certain that the term asylum would apply in this case. I think there will be some same sex couples that emigratte to Canada and become Canadian citizens so that they can legally marry, but they don't have to apply for asylum, do they?

All the Best, Tom
Wrong thread, perhaps? ;)
"Not only will it enhance our ability to gain greater control of the border, but it is a proactive effort to protect the environment, habitat and (protect) against the ravages of narcotics and alien smuggling vehicles," said Joe Brigman, a spokesman for the Yuma sector of the U.S. Border Patrol.
Talk like this gives me the creeps. What does "enhance our ability to gain greater" control mean? and is it different from "more" control? Aren't efforts by definition active (never mind proactive)? That sort of talk is sort of funny in advertising execs but it's scary in people who are building walls to separate some people from others.
/Bloomfield
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Bloomfield wrote:Talk like this gives me the creeps. What does "enhance our ability to gain greater" control mean?
To me it means that it will be harder to get out.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:
TomB wrote:Well, I'm not certain that the term asylum would apply in this case. I think there will be some same sex couples that emigratte to Canada and become Canadian citizens so that they can legally marry, but they don't have to apply for asylum, do they?

All the Best, Tom
Wrong thread, perhaps? ;)

Well, it wouldn't be if someone built a wall on the U.S. - Canada border. :roll:

Thanks Bloomie.
"Not only will it enhance our ability to gain greater control of the border, but it is a proactive effort to protect the environment, habitat and (protect) against the ravages of narcotics and alien smuggling vehicles," said Joe Brigman, a spokesman for the Yuma sector of the U.S. Border Patrol.
Talk like this gives me the creeps. What does "enhance our ability to gain greater" control mean? and is it different from "more" control? Aren't efforts by definition active (never mind proactive)? That sort of talk is sort of funny in advertising execs but it's scary in people who are building walls to separate some people from others.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Bloomfield wrote:
Such an endeavor is simply smoke and mirrors. A wall would do little to nothing to control borders. The majority of immigrants I worked with that were here illegally didn't trek across a desert or swim across the Rio Grande. They simply drove through and were inspected, or more often, arrived via an international flight and simply stayed. All one has to do is come in, blend in, keep their noses clean and work for one of hundreds of thousands of employers that will employ (i.e. exploit) them.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I believe they had a wall in Berlin which was somewhat more substantial than smoke and mirrors, Teri-K. Perhaps the memory of that one is what's giving Bloomie the creeps?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Oh, LOOK! It's what Amar's tattoo will be when it's all grown up!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Lambchop wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Actually, it's what Amar's tattoo will look like after he drinks a Red Bull energy drink. It gives you wings, y'know. :wink:

Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Except it's not PINK

:D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

TomB wrote:
jbarter wrote:This wasn't thought up by somebody called Hadrian was it. He did the same thing between England and Scotland a while back.
Yeah, and I seem to remember some little wall being built in China, also.

Tom
They are all the rage aren't they :roll:

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

izzarina wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Except it's not PINK

Oh, no, it isn't. But that's ok . . . they don't develop their full coloration until puberty . . .
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Lambchop wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Lambchop wrote: Oh, LOOK! It's what Amar's tattoo will be when it's all grown up!
Except it's not PINK

Oh, no, it isn't. But that's ok . . . they don't develop their full coloration until puberty . . .
Lambchop, you rock!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, you can get your sensibilities offended or there can be some hampering of the human trafficking... It's worth a try, I say.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Charlene

Re: Walls across the border.

Post by Charlene »

SteveK wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
To make a long story short some areas of Arizona are building walls along the Mexican border.
Meanwhile back in the northwest someone who wants to has dug a tunnel from BC to Washington state. Better international relations through drugs.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national ... 50721.html
Here's the Seattle paper's version of the story. Interesting to compare the two articles.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/apl ... r%20Tunnel
Charlene
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

djm wrote:I'm surprised no-one has compared with the wall going up in Jeruslem. This would be more apropos - a wall between the haves and the have-nots.

djm
It's startling the way that thee doesn't seem to be a failed idea, strategy, or policy coming out of Israel that the Republicans aren't desperate to copy.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis