practicing question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheKingPrawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

practicing question

Post by TheKingPrawn »

Does anyone use drills/finger excercises for practice and technique building or is it all just learning and playing tunes? Also, my second octave G is often very flighty. I can play the notes around it but it squeaks and squaks a lot. Is it me or the whistle? The whistle is a Faedog D about 4 years old. I guess I'll find out Friday when my Susato (finally) arrives.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

My Feadog is pretty flighty too, I don't prefer it. You will love the Susato though!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Congratulations

Re: practicing question

Post by Congratulations »

Coming from a classical music background, I grew up on drills and etudes and the like. To this day, I play more method than anything on saxophone. But, when I play whistle, I play tunes. I bought Grey Larson's Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tinwhistle because it had the method and excericises I was used to, but I never really took to it. I, for one, learn tunes.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I grew up with formal training on piano and sax. With sax especially I was encouraged to perform various fingering drills. Any given song in the Irish/Celtic tradition seems to inherently be a finger drill so instead of playing actual finger drills I just play a tune or two (or two dozen). :wink:
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Like Congratulations, I come from a classical background, and so I am used to exercises. I also have Larsen's book, and I am finding it very helpful. I do play a lot of exercises, probably more than I play tunes by myself. But I make sure to play tunes every day, too.

I think that the key to using exercises is knowing what you want to accomplish and picking the exercise to do that. I have found that if I am just doing exercises, without knowing what they are supposed to accomplish, that I don't feel that I am improving, and I don't stay with the exercises. OTOH, if I have a goal, I can choose the exercises for that goal, and watch myself for improvement. Knowing what I want to accomplish, and working towards it is a good motivator for me.

I tend to rotate my practice around -- I always play tunes, but I might spend one month also working on tone, the next month working on some new ornaments, the next month on intonation, the next month on scales in flat keys, then back to tone, etc.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Grey Larson exercises are good when your playing is in the doldrums. Before I got his book, I would do rolls up and down the scale. He has some good challenges in there, like the double-cut long rolls, which are very fun on G, hard elsewhere. After doing some of them, it invigorates my playing on normal tunes.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I mix tune practice with mindless scales and ornamentation,ie, lying on the couch and blowing into the thing. Dont overlook breathing and breath control as an exercise in itself.
I also play along with unknown tunes moreso to concentrate on the beat of the tune, regardless of melody. Fingers move all wrong, but I learned ITM style very well. The melody comes with practice.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Yes, I use exercises. . .scales, three and four note patterns, arpeggios and such. I use a book intended for fifers, but it works nicely for me, and has helped me improve my finger coordination and breath control.

A lot of people scorn exercises, but it is a matter of whatever works for you.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Many tunes have excellent exercises built in. Whenever I run across a bit that seems tricky, like an arpeggio or a B-Cnat-D triplet, I play it a whole bunch of times as an exercise but I trick myself into liking it because it's for a tune. I figure if I learn that bit for this tune I'll be able to play it in all tunes in the future.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

If you practice a lot of different tunes, you'll probably get the drills you need just by playing them. When I find myself stumbling over a particular passage, I repeat it a bunch of times slowly and it eventually smoothes out.

I wouldn't talk you out of practicing your drills, but make sure they sound like 'Irish music' in their execution so you don't sound like a classical drill when you play tunes.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

TonyHiggins wrote: but make sure they sound like 'Irish music' in their execution so you don't sound like a classical drill when you play tunes.
Tony
Why not, Tony? What if classical :o :boggle: music is the goal? Or Kwela, or Jazz or whatever? :twisted: Yeah, it kinda bugs me when someone ASSUMES (you know what you get with THAT) that IRISH music is the goal when flute or whistle is played. Renee and I play a LOT of church styled music with our whistles. We are playing in services this Sunday, as a matter of fact. :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus