My Experience at East Durham

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My Experience at East Durham

Post by MurphyStout »

My trip to East Durham.

Originally I wasn’t supposed to go for monetary reasons but Brad and Azalin talked me into in and I’m really glad they did. This past week was an experience of a lifetime and I will treasure the memories for as long as I live. Meeting, listening to and playing with Kevin Henry was unbelievable. Kevin is one of my musical heroes and, to me, meeting him was like meeting the President (not Bush) or somebody like that. Beyond Kevin, it was fantastic to hang out with with my Chiff buddies and nonChiff buddies.

So I’ll try to be brief.

My trip started with a lovely Red Eye flight which naturally yielded no sleep (I’m poor so that was the only flight I could afford. After my 4 hour layover (again no sleep) I left Philly and arrived at Hartford and waited for my lift. My lift was a friend of Brad’s who I had never met before named Naka. Naka picked me up and we had a lovely two hour car ride having conversation about life and the music and basically getting to know each other. So we meandered around New England and eventually we arrived in East Durham. East Durham to use the Irish word is a bit of a “kip.” Naka explained to me that in the 50’s and 60’s it was the hotspot for Irish to go on their vacations. But since flights have gotten cheaper and people elect to go home to Ireland the town isn’t what it was. But that being said, the people in the town are so friendly and nice it’s just like being in Ireland. So Naka gave me a brief tour of the town to kill time until somebody from Montreal showed.

Eventually Brad, Steve and Becky showed up to free Naka of me and we went across the street for a Pepsi (well I had Pepsi). So we caught up a bit and went to dinner. Moxy, Azalin, Joyce (who I had a great time with at WW in 03 and in Montreal last January) and Anne-Laure (Anne-la-hacking noise), who is Az’s friend from France. A nice reunion was held and then Azalin and his carefull headed back to the Cabin and Brad, Steviej, Moxy, Becky and I went out in search of a few tunes. We met Jackie Daly who was a very funny nice man even if his jokes aren’t suited for mixed company. So Jackie Daly told a few jokes and kissed Steve’s knee (I hear Steve hasn’t washed his knee since). I was too tired and sleep deprived to do anything but the rest of the gang had some tunes and I managed mostly, to keep my eyes open. The evening ended back at the cabin where I, sleep deprived as I was, managed to outsmart Az for the normal size bed.

The next day I woke up to the sound of my neighbors playing music and immediately I was excited because in just a few hours I was going to meet Kevin Henry. Did I mention it was hotter than SHYTE. Fortunatly we had a pool and there were many streams and rivers near us. So then I went to Kevin’s class. Now the first thing that I noticed about Kevin was his laugh and his sense of humour. If I tried to describe his laugh I would say that it sounds full of mischief. Kevin sat us down and asked us all to play a tune for me. I played the Killavil Jig. Then Kevin played a little bit for us and I must say his playing in person is MUCH better than the playing on his cd (which is saying something). There is so much rhythm and power in his breathing, phrasing, and playing. Plus the untangables, like sadness, longing, and happiness that can only be gotten as he got them. He has a story and a face to go along with just about any tune. He told us how he used to actually play off to California for his neighbors leaving for California and the sadness that went along with that. You could deffenatly hear that bit in his playing when he played that tune. He also played the concert reel for us and he talked about he learned it from an old man and how when he plays that tune he thinks of the old man who is now long gone. His airs where unbelievable. Everything about his playing was unbelievable and it has really inspired me to alter and improve my playing. Besides tunes, Kevin told us some great recitations, sang songs, told stories, talked about the tradition and his take on it. He absolutely hates sheet music, playing fast, and playing with no heart. The man is just awesome. He is the entire tradition manifested in one man. He is one of the friendliest, funniest, and authentic people I’ve ever met. They really don’t make em like that anymore. There is just something about that generation of people that has been lost on later generations. Enough of that though, so I’ll some it up with a fact. Most people are made up of about 60% water and Kevin Henry is made up of 100% of Pure Drop.

So that night I attended the concert with Bruce, Paul, Becky and Stevie and listened to the Macnamara’s play and then Kevin Henry came on and told a cute story about a mouse, a sad song about how times change and a humorous song about his “cock,” ehem. As an added bonus his sister Verona Ryan joined him on stage and they played a few classes sligo sets. After the concert Kevin asked me if I was going to his session and offered me a spot in his car. So I said Oh hell yeah and sh*t! and off I went. I got to meet his wife Pauline, who was a wonderful woman. I was introduce to her by Kevin as “Jack Murphy, the young man who played the Killavil Jig better than Peter Horan himself.” It was pure idol flattery. In the car Kevin told me that my hair reminded him of when Donal Lunny was staying at his house and he was sure there was habitation in his hippy hair. I got a good chuckle out of that. So we got to the session. You guys should see the joy on Pauline’s face when she watches Kevin play and do anything for that matter. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they predate TV so music was entertainment and a social event so wives used to love to go out to socialize, dance and listen to music rather than sit home and watch CSI or whatever. So I had some great tunes with Kevin, his sister, Albert Neary (Kevin’s neighbor from Sligo and Chicago), and a few other nice players in the room. Playing with that many true old styled players was a dream come true for me. I fit in much better with them than I do with people playing in a more modern way. I also must mention that I particuraly enjoyed playing with Verona. He playing was so simple and full of character and she really in a joy to playing along with. Makes me wish I had a real sligo fiddler somewhere in the city. And Kevin’s face was very interesting to watch when his sister was playing. It was as if he had left his body and was in a land far away full of places he had been and people he had known. Those how have seen this can back me up and it is really beautiful to see. Kevin and others sang songs and did recitations and it was a very excellent session by my standards. Towards the end of the evening Kevin stood up and did about 5 seconds of dancing while we played and it was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. After the session Kevin dropped me off at the cabin but since it was early (2pm) I decided to run two miles into town to find Azalin. So I found Azalin at one of the closer pubs (thank god) and had some tunes and heard a very funny story about a bartender with big ears and Anne-Laure’s Freudian bit of translation. (I might add that Anne-Laure’s is a lovely young woman with a nack for humour and sexual jokes in the English language even if she wasn’t aware of what she was saying. I think that a week with me and Az had a negative effect. You should have heard the things coming out of her mouth by the end of the week.) So we ended the night early at about 5 o’clock (if you like sleeping stay home).

Here's a shot of Kevin giving a recitation
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48487

And a shot that I will cherish for the rest of my days
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48490

I feel the need to mention food here. I was put to shame this week. Next door in the Cabin, Brad and Becky (and Steve ;) ) were cooking gorgeous looking dinner while me and Az were BBQ’ hot dogs and hamburgers. So much for my good cooking name on the forums.

So the next day I got up EARLY at about 10am ;) On Tuesday and Thursday we had Fr. Charlie Coen as are teacher because Kevin is damn near 80 years young and didn’t feel up to a whole week. Charlie is a lovely old player from East Galway who plays in a very simple style like his brother Jack Coen. He played many tunes and airs for us and I really enjoyed listening to him. It reminded me that you don’t have to be flashy and fancy in Irish music to sound good and I think it’s a lesson many people can learn.

So my classes went on like that for the rest of the week and I have many good recordings to work on now that I’m home. My only complaint is that old saying that you can’t choose your family. The same goes for flute classes. You can choose your flute instructor but you can’t choose your classmates. One guy didn’t have a tape recorder so he kept asking Kevin to repeat things and resay things he had already said. Other people kept asking for marches and things like Lord Mayo, battle of aughrim, give me your hand and one guy even asked for slides and polkas!! I mean, Kevin is from Freaking sligo not Kerry! Even though I’m sure Kevin likes playing them I would much rather him stuff stick to what sligo is known for, Jigs and Reels and a few Lietrim Polkas. That’s my only complaint.

And for some reason joke telling was a common pastime this week and I suppose it was Jackie Daly who started it. So the rest of the week I traded jokes with other people about various things like lightbulbs, frogs with big mouths and limericks that Daly had composed for Joe Burke. I suppose Steve’s imitation of Jackie Daly will never leave my head… “Jackie, he says……. …. ….”

One night, WHEN I ACTUALLY did try to cook a nice meal the ass end of Hurricane Denis should up and threw lightning and rain at me when I was attempting to BBQ. I manage to finish cooking everything in the oven but go figure.

OH yeah! The waterfall. Brad took me on a nice little walk just out of town down and through this good size creek and at the end of the walk there is this beautiful spot with a waterful. You can sit right down under it and it’s like have a really kickass massage. I was really greatful to Brad for showing me this secret spot and I enjoyed it so much we can back the next day with the rest of the gang.

A shot of Brad and Lucie and a shot of the waterfall pre-heavy rain
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48494

You may not be able to tell but Steve is back in the waterful nearly drowning after the heavy rain water had increased waterflow.
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48492

A shot of walk up to the other waterfall
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48493

I got a good start Saturday morning (at least I think it was Saturday), when Bloomfield stuck his head in the cabin door very early at 10:00. He came at a horrible time and I was so tired I couldn’t have been much fun but I enjoyed spending an hour with him anyways.

My companions were great fun as always. Guillaume is a riot. Golo and Jocelyn were good fun and I was glad to get to know them this trip. After hanging around Jocelyn I’m supprised they let her around children. I was shocked at the things coming out of her mouth after being around me and Thomas and Wendy were also great companions. They were quite courageous too. You won’t find me eating wild mushrooms that you might find near a trail. I had a good time talking with Paul and trying to one-up him with hard to find rare recordings. I was glad Bruce showed up as well because it reminded me that he lives right down the street from me and that we can get together and have some tunes whenever we want. Becky was great. I was very impressed with her culinary skills and her sense of fun. Not every woman can stay in a cabin surrounded by men and survive. She put it best by saying that she had a great time and would “…happily sleep with you guys ANY time!!” I was very greatful to Naka for befriending me and picking me up cause without her this week would not have happened. Next time I hope to have some chunes with her. It was nice to see Emily again and her sister Lucy was also alot of fun. Joyce was a pleasurable companion as usual and all I can say is don’t use her towel or eat her cookies, right Az? Anne-Laure was a riot. The week would not have been half as fun without her. Steve is too much fun but I will curse him forever for getting that “He says, Jackie…” in my head. Brad as you all well know is a great guy and a great flute player. I don’t even belong in the same town as him let alone the same pub when he is playing. He is a absolute pleasure to listen to. I regrettably didn’t see much of Cara but there will be many more trips in future where we can hang out. Moxy was good fun even though she was always off rubbing “elbows” with the big names likes of Matt Cranich, Paul McGratten, and Jackie Daly. And Dave! Jesus has he gotten good on the fiddle. It’s rare these days when you actually come across a young fiddler with style and he’s got loads of it. Anyways, all this nice talk has made me sick. I just hope I didn’t leave anyone out.

Here's a pic of Brad and Steve having a Bb minisession.
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48485

A shot of Dave and Anne-Laure having a tune in our cabin
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48486

A shot of much of the gang outside the cabins at our picnic table
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48491

So the week passed with many late night of good music. I sat at the listening sessions for two nights and listened to some very nice music. I sat in on a session with June Ni Chormaic, Michael Rooney, Kevin Henry, Albert Neary, Verona Ryan and Meagy Henry that was awesome. Overall the week was filled with good tunes, good people, good pepsi and great craic.

Here's a pic of the Henry session
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48488

But all good things must come to an end. Originally I had planned to hitch-hike back to Bradley, but Brad didn’t like that idea so and Naka arranged a ride for me with a flute player name Ralph. Only problem was, he came to get me at 8:30am!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jaysus, at that hour I couldn’t even walk let alone talk or anything. Just ask Brad, he was there. So Ralph said his friend Tim could do it as well. Or at least that’s what I think he said but I was so fecking tired! So I sat around that day till about 8:00pm waiting for a guy name Tim but he never showed. So we scrabbled around a bit and went to the concert to see if anyone was going to Hartford because by that time it was too late to hitchhike. So we got there just in when the final encore was winding down and I got the MC to make the announcement. So, god willing, this man walked up to the stage and told me he was going to Hartford. Only problem was, he was there to pick up his niece and it might be a little cramped. When I found out his niece was Edel Fox (TG4’s young musician of the year and a great concertina player from Clare) so naturally I had no problem with that at all. You should have seem Az’s face when I told him who I was getting a lift with. He was so green with envy he looked like a big hairy pickle So I had a nice two hour car ride with Mike and Edel listening to them talk about their family and talking with Edel about the tradition. I found her to be a lovely young woman, who has extremely good tastes in traditional Irish music. And yes Az, I did get an email addy and I’m suppost to look her up next time I’m over :p.

So it was a perfect end to a perfect week.

And here's a shot of how you're suppost to look (neardeath) at the end of a great vacation
http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48489

Sorry for being so long winded… this was almost as long as a Jack Gilder vs Jim Stone rants.
No I'm not returning...
perrins57

Re: My Experience at East Durham

Post by perrins57 »

MurphyStout wrote:
So I’ll try to be brief.
You failed

Great pictures though it look beautiful there
Not sure about the one of you clearing the spit from your flute though http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48492
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
MurphyStout

Re: My Experience at East Durham

Post by MurphyStout »

perrins57 wrote: Not sure about the one of you clearing the spit from your flute though http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u ... Ct&i=48492
ROTFLMAO!
No I'm not returning...
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Wow, what an epic! It's all true (well, most of it anyway) and the photos brought back some great memories.

And I too am now a Kevin Henry fan. Wow, he is wonderful, and hearing him play with his family and friends was pure magic. He's The Real Thing...unlike Pepsi ;-)
carrie

Post by carrie »

Wow, Jack. Fantastic report from what sounds like an unbelievably rich and meaningful experience. Thanks so much for sharing that--truly exciting!

Carol

*scratching head and trying to remember why exactly it was she didn't go*
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Jack, I'm thoroughly impressed (and jealous). You're an up-and-coming geezer, you are. What great experiences you're having! Glad you shared it all.

Susan
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Rub it in, Murph, just rub it in.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well done! What a great experience.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Thanks for writing this, Jack. It's so hard to put the entire week into a concise series of paragraphs. Much easier to spend a few hours going over it with a girlfriend over dinner and a couple glasses of wine, followed by yummy tiramisu (my method last night).

I just wanted to say, Jack, that if I had to pick one thing that changed me the most, it was Kevin Henry's playing. Listening to his interpretations, I realized I was hearing an entire world of expression I hadn't been aware of. It was thrilling, it made my world all topsy-turvy. Let me know if you're going to be in Chicago to see him anytime.

I also felt something close to love when I saw Patrick O'Dea dance. He and Jack apparently share the same quest for authenticity and honesty in their art. Pat was spotlight-shy to the point of wearing flip-flops all week and complaining mildly of a bad knee (which he later admitted was his way of avoiding public performing). But in class, and a few times in public, he was the embodiment of joy and grace. He was an amazing teacher, which is the only reason I didn't drop the class right away. I don't dance. Didn't. Now I can (slowly) perform an incredibly intricate and advanced series of moves that make up an entire set dance. No one is more surprised than I am.

I wish I had played better than I did while I was there. I wish I'd had a chance to spend more time with the Montreal folk, and Jack. Heather Martley is a beautiful classical player (we DID have a duet session) and I'm honored she thought of me when she made the decision to part with her Olwell Pratten. Thank you, thank you.

I think I'll never be able to stay anywhere in East Durham except the Shamrock House, as long as Matt, Mike, Doug and the Collins family are there. I adore you guys, love sharing tunes with you all. See you next year.

Cara
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Teri-K wrote:Rub it in, Murph, just rub it in.
If he rubs too hard, just "Dropkick Murphy"

har har har. :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Teri-K wrote:Rub it in, Murph, just rub it in.
If he rubs too hard, just "Dropkick Murphy"

har har har. :lol:
Naw, Jack's good people and quite the geezer.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Don't you just hate people who boost their postcount with short epics?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Naw, I like the epics. So much to think about for those of us who can't go to such events.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

It was good, wasn't it? :D It's always my favorite week of the year(although I'm off to Augusta next week, and my friend Jim says I'll like that even better, so we'll see). I do wish I'd gotten to meet more chiffers. Where was everyone?? Playing with Cara was fun, and the couple of Bb tunes I had with Brad were great. I wish there had been more of those.

Also, I have discovered that I need a McGee Pratten type flute. I NEED one. :love: :puppyeyes: This is what comes of saying "D'you mind if I have a go?" *Sigh* I need to get a car first, I'm afraid.

-Kelly
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Thanks for the story Jack. I had such a good time last week, being surrounded by so many friends and great people. It's so great to be around people you often see only once a year, it makes the time you spend together very special. Even though I had the chance to listen to some amazing musicians like Michael Roony, June McKormack, Brian McNamara, Mike Rafferty and so one, my best times were with my friends, just sitting in and playing a few tunes. One great evening is when I sat down with my friend Autumn and a very nice fiddler called Heather. Jack was there, and Matt sat down with us at the end. We had a very relaxing time, playing tunes and listening to each other. For me, nothing beats the feeling of sitting down and playing with people you like and enjoy playing with.

I'm sure Jack and I will share many festivals like this in the future, we're both crazy dudes and garanteed to have a good time, no matter what.

I wish I could have spent more time with Cara and Matt, but there's always a next time.

Things I learned last week:

1) StevieJ is the only person I know who can say "Jackie Daly" a hundred times in a row without making any mistake
2) Oh I wish I was a good concertina player, and didnt need to play that whistle so often
3) Never use a woman's towel without her approval
4) Make sure you have a french woman with average english around you if you want some good laughs
5) Never tell someone he's got big ears when you mean he's got good earing, especially when he's really got big ears
6) Jack really knows his "wood"
7) Try to use a swimsuit and not a boxer when you get in the pool, or people might laugh at you (or get really impressed and jealous)
8) When you see someone playing a big piano accordeon, don't waste your time and go somewhere else. If any accordeon player sits beside you and start playing, don't take any chance and run for your life.
9) When you're driving at 7am with only 4 hours of sleep, make sure Joyce isnt sitting in the back of the car wide awake.
10) Next time Jack is stuck somewhere because he didnt planify much to get back to the airport, I won't have any pity or will show no mercy. For being in a car with Edel Fox for 1.5 hours, he deserves no better than walking from New York to California if he has to!