How many play Uillean Pipes too?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, wolvy! I don't know why, but my crans always sound more like cramps. Anyway, we love the pipes. Can't get enough of 'em around here!

BTW, does anyone have a theory about why so few women play the pipes? There are more than a few female GHB players in our local pipe band, but no uilleann pipers I know of. All I can figure is that maybe our biceps don't look nearly so cool with the sleeves rolled up and the bag/bellows strap around them ... ?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

There are a few women who take up UPs. One of the best tutors for UPs was written by a woman - Heather Clarke. There are a couple of professional lady UPers as well. Why more ladies don't take to it is a question often asked - too apparently male-dominated? - don't like the sound? You would be in a better position to answer the whys of it than I. Certainly there is nothing particularly muscular about playing UPs.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I know two woman pipers, and one of them is a very fine piper indeed. (Well, both are very fine pipers. One is just a bit more so. I imagine you've heard her name.) But men are more numerous. I think it's unfortunate.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I'm female. Perhaps not quite a woman yet, but female. There were a couple of other woman pipers at East Durham, but certainly more men. I think I counted a ratio of about three to twenty or something. One thing that attracted me to learning the pipes was how hard everyone says they are, which I took as a challenge. :P But I think that maybe most women wouldn't, whereas perhaps more men would. I don't know, that could be unfair stereotyping, if so I apologize. It's just something I've heard, that men take stuff as a challenge more of the time and feel compelled to do whatever it is just to show they can. Of course there would be lots of other factors, but that might be one of them.
Oh rats, there was something else I wanted to say but I forgot what it was! :x If I think of it later I'll be back.

-Kelly
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I definitely think there's something about certain instruments that attracts certain personality types whether it's sound quality, degree of difficulty, weird physics, amount of focus/math skill/agility/talent/pain required, etc.

Then again, if we turn it around ... maybe *lots* of pipers really wanted to be flute players but were afraid the flute was too girly. :-D

<dons fireproof suit and runs>

(If that's the case, though, here's to those men for keeping piping alive!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
BigDavy

Pipes

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cathy Wilde

Instead of donning a fireproof suit, don a practice set and join the dark side. :devil: If a bodhran player (me) can do it surely a flute player can.
:D

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Just got my practice set a month ago. I think it'll be a few years before I can make 'em sound like a musical instrument, and to be honest I can't see them supplanting my love of the flute (at least not for the foreseeable, but ask me again in about 7 years time!).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Actually, I've been skulking around learning about practice sets, etc. ... and even have a tiny (albeit at-present stalled) savings pot designated toward one! The whole reed thing kind of freaks me out, though -- it seems like a bad one can give you no end of fits, and learning how to fix 'em ... yikes. But I'm intrigued nonetheless, so thanks for the clever invite. Like I said earlier, UPs are the coolest.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

seisflutes wrote:There were a couple of other woman pipers at East Durham, but certainly more men. I think I counted a ratio of about three to twenty or something.
If Kelly's piping is anything like her flute playing, watch out guys!

Some of my favorite pipers are women: Debbie Quigley and Maire Ni Ghrada. I bet Kelly will be up there herself before long; same goes for Kara Doyle (who was at E. Durham too).
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

I was playing pipes before I took up flute. I have to say that both instruments are about equally difficult to play (assuming you have a decent flute and/or a good chanter and reed).

For a person thinking about playing UP. I suggest you not get into reed making at first. You will have your hands full just mastering the chanter. Find a good reedmaker close by and pay for a good reed. I think you will be way ahead on the learning curve if you do this.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

IDAwHOa wrote:I have never been attracted to the pipes for a number of reasons. I guess if I ever wanted to make that sound like that I could buy a kazoo off of ebay. :twisted:
Funny, but I still prefer the one about the guy playing the flute while balancing the vacuum cleaner on his lap. :wink:
PJ