Deferred Success set to be deferred success

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Deferred Success set to be deferred success

Post by GaryKelly »

The BBC wrote:Teachers say no-one should 'fail'

Education Secretary Ruth Kelly has dismissed suggestions that the concept of "failure" should be removed from school in favour of "deferred success".
...<snip>....
Liz Beattie, a retired teacher, will call on the association's annual gathering in Buxton, Derbyshire, to "delete the word 'fail' from the educational vocabulary to be replaced with the concept of 'deferred success'".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4697461.stm

Un-believable. Fortunately my namesake (no relation) is possessed at least of *some* common sense.

Can you imagine it?

"How did you do in the exams?"
"Woohoo! I had a deferred success!"

Later...

"How did you get on with your driving test?"
"Woohoo! I had a deferred success!"

Later still...

"How did the job interview go?"
"Woohoo!!"
"Deferred success?"
"Yup!"

Much later...

Police Officer: "Please blow into this machine...that's good...now we wait for the results... I have to tell you sir that you have achieved a deferred success on the breathalyser test."
"Woohoo!!"
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I hope this scheme attains the deferred success it deserves.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

ah - we've had "proficiency reports" for years. They are sent home mid-term. I call them "deficiency reports" because you only have one sent hom if the kid if failing.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:ah - we've had "proficiency reports" for years. They are sent home mid-term. I call them "deficiency reports" because you only have one sent hom if the kid if failing.
Now its a deferrency report :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I don't like it; calling someone a "miserable deferred success" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

In California we have gone through and come out of the outcome-based educational trend, thank goodness. Looks like its still percolatin' in Britain.

It's not what you learn, it's how good you feeeeeel about the learning process at the end that counts.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:In California we have gone through and come out of the outcome-based educational trend, thank goodness. Looks like its still percolatin' in Britain.

It's not what you learn, it's how good you feeeeeel about the learning process at the end that counts.
Arent techers banned from using red markers to grade papers there in Cali?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Tyler Morris wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:In California we have gone through and come out of the outcome-based educational trend, thank goodness. Looks like its still percolatin' in Britain.

Not banned but ENCOURAGED not to.

Oh yeah, and here is a good one: In the Education Code for the whole State, it is illegal to give an African-American child a standardized IQ test. Anybody else is okay, tho.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:

Not banned but ENCOURAGED not to.

Oh yeah, and here is a good one: In the Education Code for the whole State, it is illegal to give an African-American child a standardized IQ test. Anybody else is okay, tho.
Do they get a special IQ test?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

No, it's not allowed, period. It's but one of the diagnostic tools available for a teacher but the fact that it's written into law is an interesting phenom.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:No, it's not allowed, period. It's but one of the diagnostic tools available for a teacher but the fact that it's written into law is an interesting phenom.
I thought you might say they can get a deffered test? :lol:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:... deffered test?
Been running that deferred spell-checker again, I see. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:... deffered test?
Been running that deferred spell-checker again, I see. :wink:
Arrrrrrr, deferred again!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

All standardised testing is pretty much equally stupid, so I don't see any problem with using different tests for different groups, if that makes anyone at all happy.

~~

When I was in grade school, I got selected for some kinda weird standardised testing that went on for years as part of some sort of longitudinal study. These were a few afternoons of multiple-choice, mostly general knowlege tests every year, or maybe every term--I think each year we did the ones for our grade, the grade before and maybe the grade after.

I suspect I was selected because I was known to be good at tests, and my results would boost the school's scores or something.

Or maybe I'm overly conceited, and it was random.

Anyway, they kept going on about how these results didn't count.

So I got bored, and one year decided that it was more interesting to get every question wrong rather than right, so for the remainder the study--I think it ended about grade six--I'd carefully eliminate every option which had a possibility of being correct and instead colour in the little oval belonging to an answer I knew was wrong.

I don't know how my strategy affected the survey results. No one ever asked me about it, so I guess it was as anonymous as they promised.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

The Weekenders wrote: Oh yeah, and here is a good one: In the Education Code for the whole State, it is illegal to give an African-American child a standardized IQ test. Anybody else is okay, tho.
Deferred racism. :moreevil:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo