New, play GHB Want to flute, and whistle. Just read!!!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Erikpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New, play GHB Want to flute, and whistle. Just read!!!!

Post by Erikpiper »

I heard Kieran Ohare a few months ago, and now I think I have started to fall into the trap....

I play the GHB's :D Also I have a bellows blown SSP on order.

But when I heard Kieran..... :boggle: WOW! I lloved the UP's, but than I play a pipe already. I loved his flute the most, though. What is it?? He said it was a "traditiional" flute, sounded very hyper :) Nothing like modern flutes :) That is what I fell in love with.

I know whistles gateway into pipes, but are whistles and flutes the same way? And how expensive is one of those flutes anyway? I can afford the whistle. I most definatley could not afford a UP practice set. All my money is in scottish instruments at the moment :twisted:

I have searched the forums. :boggle: EEP!!!!! I need help...... I couldnt make any sense out of it.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Hi, Erik.

I came to the flute from the GHB myself.

The flute you saw Kieran play is sometimes called a "Concert" flute, a "Simple System" flute or sometimes just an "Irish" flute. The first two names refer to the flute's history. "Concert" referring to the standardized concert pitch of A=440 and "Simple-System" referring to the key system. They come in various pitches though D is the most common.

Before what you call the modern flute existed, these were the flutes people played... wooden flutes with 6 open holes and keys to make them chromatic (able to play all key signatures). These flutes became popular with Irish music and even though the modern flute became popular the old wooden flute lingered in Ireland. The open six holes work almost exactly like the six holes on a whistle.

Up until the last 20-30 years any flute player would have to track down one of these old flutes but now there are several makers who make them specifically for Irish music. Since most Irish tunes are in the keys of D or G, a keyless D flute is sufficient and this is the standard model of most contemporary flutemakers.

As for the cost of one of these... a wooden, keyless flute averages about the same as a basic GHB (without silver mounts). Adding keys naturally causes the price to go up. There are less expensive options in the form of flutes made of plastic, bamboo, or alternative woods.

A great information site is Brad Hurley's Guide to the Irish Flute . Other great sites are Rob Greenway's site, The Flow and flutemaker Terry McGee has a lot of great history and information.

How's your band going? What's your GHB setup? I'm playing with the RMM grade 2 band in Vancouver and have a set of Naills (DN2).

Cheers,
Aaron
Last edited by AaronMalcomb on Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hah, you've been sucked into our world and there is no way out now...

Whistle is a gateway instrument into flutes, too - same fingerings, half holing, etc. It is hard to get a good embouchure to actual play notes, but you'll get it with practice. The tradional flute was a conical keyless, likely wooden, flute or perhaps a keyed flute (keyed like a UP chanter to hit accidentals).

The good news about flutes is that they're not as expensive as pipes. You can get a good cyclindrical PVC one that will serve you well for only $80ish, a good starter wooden wooden flute can be anywhere from $250 for Casey Burn's folk flute to over $1000, and machined conical polymer flutes run about $400. Keys up the cost quite a bit, but for most traditional Irish music (not sure about Scottish - I think keys are needed for that a bit more) keys aren't needed and many old players stipped off and plugged key holes.

Eric
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

Thanks!

Aaron- I am just 14- I play with the Chicago Caledonians g4, currently in 1'st place :D

Althought I have been playing since 1999, my teacher was.... yeah. Just in the last year have I really been improving.
My pipes.... Dont blame me, but I was 8 when I got them.. are drumrans, not the best pipes out there... Better than pakistani pipes though!! And I got lucky- they are actually quite good :) Assorted blowpipes :lol: and a McCallum chanter. I want Naills or something as good!

I have a set of SSP's on order http://www.piperjones.com/tidycottagesmallpipes.html

Can you reccomend a good book to learn whistle with, with the intention of switching to flute?

Now to look at your links!

THANKS!!!
Last edited by Erikpiper on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Hi, Erik.

Good on you for starting young and with a teacher. I started at 16 without a teacher and it's been uphill.

The most in-depth book so far is Grey Larsen's "Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle". This book is massive and its only fault is that it is a little too in-depth and a little too verbose but it does cover both whistle and flute and comes with CDs.

My favorite is "Timber - The Flute Tutor" by Fintan Vallely. It's more succinct but very clear and effective. It may be a bit advanced but if you've been piping for a few years you should do well.

The accompanying recording is hard to track down. If you choose to go with that book PM me and I can locate a recording.

You'll find the rigorous work you've done with your GHB technique will reflect in whistle and flute playing.

Cheers,
Aaron
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would recommend starting on whistle. I am also a GHBer my band's logo is my avatar we are a grade 5 band located in north/central NJ. I play McCallum AB4s by the way with a poly chanter and use Ezee Drones and McAllister Chanter Reeds (yes Oak Trees as they call them). I would recommend starting on a Doug Tipple Flute (search ebay) it is a great begginner's Flute andreally just a great Flute all around and since you are 14 (been there myself just two years ago obviously I am 16 actually I started GHBs then) you are proabably a little short on cash and the Tipple is not expensive yes Pakastani Flutes are about as good as there GHBs. Have fun with those SSPs.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

He is definately the loudest flute player I have ever heard. His flute is a fully keyed Pratten design, which means his flute cost several thousand bucks.

I don't remember who made it for him, though.

Check out Patrick Olwell, one of the most popular makers for pros and amateurs alike for the high end prices. I almost had one of those things, but medicine took priority over the flute...

Patrick Olwell
PO Box 117
Nellysford, VA 22958
USA
Tel: 1-434-277-9215
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

fancypiper wrote:I don't remember who made it for him, though.
Olwell
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

AaronMalcomb wrote:You'll find the rigorous work you've done with your GHB technique will reflect in whistle and flute playing.
I agree 100%. The fact that you are familiar with gracenotes & ornamentation means that when you start to play the flute these will be second nature to you. It is this ornamentation (along with breath control) that will transform your playing from lazy, legato playing into pulsing, rythmic music.

I'm not so sure that I agree that starting on the whistle is a prerequisite of playing the flute. If you want to play the flute - start playing the flute!

"Timber" by Fintan Vallely is a great starter book, as Aaron says. The best tip I can offer, however, is to listen to as much flute playing as you can, in order to hear what you are supposed to be playing.

So, Aaron, how are things going with RMM - and are you coming to Glasgow in August?

Cheers

Graham
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

"Timber" by Fintan Vallely is a great starter book, as Aaron says.
Except -- don't follow his instructions on holding the flute to the letter. He recommends holding the right arm way out from the body, which puts unnecessary strain on the shoulder and wrist that will screw you up over time. (I speak from experience.) Other than that it's a fine method.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ro3b wrote:
"Timber" by Fintan Vallely is a great starter book, as Aaron says.
Except -- don't follow his instructions on holding the flute to the letter. He recommends holding the right arm way out from the body, which puts unnecessary strain on the shoulder and wrist that will screw you up over time. (I speak from experience.) Other than that it's a fine method.
I find that my wrists are my best guideline: the straighter I keep my wrists, the longer and more comfortably I can play. Also, this keeps the arms up and away from the body which helps with posture and breathing.

I've got some notes on all this at

http://www.flutesite.com/posture_&_grip.htm

--James
BigDavy

Practice set

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Erikpiper

Don't give up on the UPs yet. Try getting just a chanter and bag and use the bellows from your smallpipes (when they arrive). This should reduce the cost of your practice set considerably.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

That's a good little tip, there David. That should knock the cost of a practise set down considerably.

Well, Graham, the band is sounding pretty hot. The tone is big and clear and the playing is tight. It's an MSR year which is a nice change from the inescapable medley in North America. We'll be in Glasgow on the big day. It should be a good contest.

Cheers,
Aaron
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

Thanks! I do want to stay away from the pipes for at least 4 years- when I have a job :D They get too expensive. (Regs, anyone?)

I will start on the whistle first- earliest I can get a halfway decent flute is next year. (Edited out stupid comment :) )

Now to convince my parents I am NOT crazed, :twisted: I actually do want to learn 3 more instruments. SSP's, Whistle, and flute. However, on the smallpipes I already know a lot, and just need to learn bellows and better pressure control, which will help me on the UP's if I ever get into them, and the playing style. The whistle could be considered a flute "practice chanter" (GHB)

I ramble a lot online :oops: :P :twisted:

I will probably get more than one book.

Thanks!!
Last edited by Erikpiper on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I redommedn the Bill Ochs book. Hey your parntes buy you insturments don't take that for granted they stopped for me after I got my PC (yes a Whistle is like a Flute PC). Don't try to jump right in on one of those Pro flutes they are not that easy to play you should get a beginner's model first. From what the U Pipers tell me is that jus because you can use Bellows on SSPs does not mean you can on UPs it is a quite different system just remember to have fun with every thing.