Shaytaan (Satan's wind instruments)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

idiots
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

NicoMoreno wrote: yet I have never heard of a sect (of Christianity) that bans all instruments.
Forgottten all the stories of Irish clergy trying to suppress the house dances, breaking and burning instruments?

Condemnation of all sorts of music outside the church organ etc was until very recently quite common in christianity, with large groups, sects etc who believe(d) music will lead to sin. So don't go all holy and tolerant on us now. :devil:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:Look at the English - they claim to be Christians, yet they eat eels (Deuteronomy says a fish must have scales and fins else it is unclean).

djm
A Google on Covenential and/or Dispensational Theology might help explain.

There are some Christian churches that won't allow any singing that is not a Psalm.

I wonder how long these prohibitions have been in effect? Think of how many modern instruments trace their ancestry to the middle east.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Here's some rather interesting stuff:
http://www.cas.sc.edu/socy/faculty/deflem/zzcens97.htm

Well worth a read. Here's a snippet apropos the religious aspect:
The Religious Condemnation of Music

The religious movements arguing against music have not been directly involved in the debate launched by the PMRC (cf. Leming 1987: 364). The PMRC seems to have come up with a more publicly acceptable form of attack on music. Nevertheless, there appears to be some form of alliance. For instance, Rreverend Jeff Ling, one of the PMRC witnesses at the Senate Hearing, authored the PMRC’s Rock Music Report dealing with backmasking (Wishnia 1987:445).

Most religious attacks against music, however, seem to follow their own path. Dan and Steve Peters are among the most fervent religious anti-music crusaders (I have several of their publications), and Jimmy Swaggart has often spoken out against rock music. On June 1, 1986, the infamous television evangelist condemned rock ‘n’ roll as "the new ρσяиσפядρђψ" and "music of the devil" (Roldan 1987:256). Swaggart also met with officials from Wal-Mart, and shortly after the meeting the chain removed all rock magazines from its stores (Wishnia 1987:445). Evangelist John Muncy has been lecturing around the nation claiming that demons are responsible for backward messages on rock records (Walker 1987:1).

In 1986, two evangelists are reported to have claimed, during a record and tape burning in West Virginia, that the "Mr. Ed" television theme song had satanic backwordings (also, AC/DC is supposed to stand for Anti-Christ/Devil’s Children, and KISS for Kids In Satan’s Service, see Wishnia 1987:445). Cardinal O’Connor of New York condemned heavy metal for its satanist references (Adler et al. 1990:57).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

That's quite an article. I've printed it so I can finish later.

Here are two sites that present opposing views regarding Christian Rock.

http://www.av1611.org/crock.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/craindex.htm
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

The Weekenders wrote:If America would own up to its past sins, it would all be better.
You mean line-dancing? :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

djm wrote:the English - they claim to be Christians, yet they eat eels
I am, I don't, I don't. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

djm wrote:Look at the English - they claim to be Christians, yet they eat eels (Deuteronomy says a fish must have scales and fins else it is unclean).

djm
That was, of course, the Old Testament. Christians don't offer burnt sacrifices via the Aaronic priesthood, either. All things are considered clean for consumption (though not all are profitable) under the New Testament. Primarily, as we read in the Acts of the Apostles, the early Church only felt that two types of food need to be refrained from: blood (which eliminates black pudding, eh?), and meats offered to idols. The rationale for not eating blood was that the life was in the blood.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

first - I guess this ban explains Cat Stevens, huh? :D

Ok - as to instruments and Christian churches - this is "supposedly" how the mountain dulcimer came to be. The fundementalist beliefs (mainly Baptist influenced) frowned upon any instruments, especially the fiddle. However, the innocent little dulcimer was looked at as ok, as long as it just was used as a "back-up" to voice.
But most singing in church was voice only - that's why we still have the wonderful shape note singing tradition.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

So if a Muslim see's you, take the fipple off and maybe convince him that you're playing a Ney. If a non-instrumental Christian see's you, hide the whistle in you clothes and tell him you're whistling with your mouth.

When they're not around, just think of the great acoustics you can have while hiding in the catacombs from the others. :lol:

BTW - The Tinwhistle might be a biblical instrument. There are two possibilities. The Chalil - which some translate as the horizontal flute is still open to interpretation and might be vertical fipple flute.
The other one is the Mashrokey, I've heard that this word is associated by some in modern hebrew with the tinwhistle. The root word 'sharak' denotes a hissing sound like a snake - which might be attributed to the 'chiff' or fipple noises. (We're not sure of the material - this is before the age of lead fipple)
The Mashrokey was one of those instruments used in Nebuchadnezzar's Court in the book of Daniel.

Maybe we can refer to the days when lead fipples were used as the Tin Whistlers "Dark Ages".
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Who could it be?
Shaaaaaaaayyyyyytaaaannn!!!

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Last night I Googled "Satan's wind instruments" and read quite a bit regarding the subject. Bottom line, it all started with Satan, the musician. Then Cain's offspring (harp, flute, and second wive's). Then music and instruments used for war and triumph. Then the harp music of David--when the downfall of Israel began (copying the world with "Kings," polygamy, and such). Then music and instruments used by women to lure men. Then music and instruments used to enhance the euphoric sexual experience while making love to gods. Then music and homosexuality. And finally 'rock and roll.'

First 'out of this world,' then 'of the world.' No wonder it has always been frowned on by religious groups. One good thing about Muslims--that as "medieval" as the religion might seem, it has probably best preserved the historical attitude towards music and instruments...if we're interested in the difference between today and yesterday and how things have changed through history.

Now Africa and South America, and how music was originally used in even older cultures. Maybe Walden can enlighten us, but I understand that the flute is something only recent, not traditional, as associated with Native North Americans.
Henke

Post by Henke »

There are lots of interpretations of the Muslim holy texts in the middle east. Some of the muslim oppressors interpret the texts as it suits them, much like many Christian cults and sects. I believe the reason why these leaders and oppressors get so much support is because the people are already oppressed, often because of the Christian world. Nothing else then a bad, evil spiral. Probably also why the terror from US and UK often strikes back (though in much smaller scale).
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Lorenzo wrote: Bottom line, it all started with Satan.

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Hare Krishna plays the flute.

so does pan

I wonder which other gods play?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."