Shaytaan (Satan's wind instruments)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Shaytaan (Satan's wind instruments)

Post by Lorenzo »

Did you know that you cannot play the tin whistle and still be a Muslim? I can only imagine what sinfulness playing a bagpipe must be. Today, it was so hot outside I couldn't work. I came in and after watching a news clip, began wondering why Muslims sway while chanting the Koran. Then I ran across this.

The Islamic Ruling on Music and Singing
  • The use of all musical instruments (*236) is forbidden.

The shari'ah has conveyed a number of other texts which categorize the various possible types of musical instruments and prohibit them. The categories of musical instruments are as follows: (a) wind instruments, (*239) (b) string instruments, (*240) (c) percussion instruments (*241) and (d) a combination of two or more of the above. (*242)

The first category is represented by the previously-mentioned narrations of Al-Bayhaqi and Al-Haakim, wherein the terms mizmaar (flute) and mazaameerush Shaytaan (Satan's wind instruments) are mentioned respectively. The second category is indicated by one of Ahmad bin Hanbal's narrations wherein the word qinneen (lute) (*243) appears. The third category is epitomized by another tradition collected by Ahmad in which bothe the terms koobah and tablah (i.e. drums) are recorded. (*244)

EXTRA:
  • SILK: It is an established fact that wearing of silk clothing is generally prohibited for males. However, there are a few specific and limited exceptions to this ruling, among which is the permissibility of adding silk trim to the sleeves and hem of one's garment. The width of this band of silk trim is specified as a finger's length. (*249) Thus, one would not be allowed to increase this designated measure to say, two or three fingers' length.

SINGING: Singing without musical accompaniment is permitted under certain circumstances and with particular conditions. The lyrics of the songs must be pure and innocent, and must keep within the moral bounds set by Islamic teachings. Hence, lyrics which are erotic and licentious (*257) and/or sung in a licentious manner (*258) (which adversely affects the libidinous instincts of the listener) are undoubtedly forbidden. Moreover, even innocent songs become forbidden if they are performed in the presence of, or are coupled with, such prohibited acts as gambling, drinking and other deeds of moral depravity. Singing by women is restricted to a female audience as the nature of a woman's (singing) voice is to excite sexual feeling in the male listener.

DANCING: Dancing to musical instruments is prohibited since that which is coupled with a prohibited thing becomes forbidden. As for dancing without music, or to the accompaniment of the daff only, such is restricted solely to women and children and is not befitting the role of males. The accomplished muhaddith and jurisprudent, Izzuddeen bun Abdis-Salaam, (*259) says in reference to men dancing, "As for dancing and handclapping in a light and frivolous manner resembling the frivolity of females, none would do it except the light-headed or affected ignoramus.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am so happy I am not muslim.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I thought the devil played fiddle... and maybe banjo.
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Thank you, Lornezo.

Your post explains a lot.

(life without music :-? )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

But Lorenzo, you have to get to the core reasons of why they feel this way, then you will understand why they act the way they do. If America would own up to its past sins, it would all be better.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
djm

Post by djm »

Of course, the middle east is full of music. So much depends on local interpretation. Look at the English - they claim to be Christians, yet they eat eels (Deuteronomy says a fish must have scales and fins else it is unclean). I think you will find that Muslims are just as selective about what they choose to believe when it suits them as Christians are. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

"life without music" ...I think you're on to something, cowtime.

Weekenders, I'm with you there. We'd better start asking for Allahs forgivness for nearly everything we are and have done. All joking aside, there may be something to it...at least a lot of it. I'm trying to understand the Muslim Mindset. I would venture to say that they are probably very strict, as opposed to the Christian tolerances that djm alluded to, and that early Christianity may have resembled this same attitude for hundreds of years, except for the harp, then harpsichord, then the sinful piano (shudder).

I forgot to add that the human voice, according to the ruling, if it is altered to immitate a musical instrument, would not be permitted.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Ever see that new cell-phone commercial? Blatant slagging of Christian/PTA groups. The last line says it all: Music leads to Dancing, and Dancing to Touching.

Not much of a point, but I doubt you'd ever see a commerical making fun of Muslims like that, yet I have never heard of a sect (of Christianity) that bans all instruments.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

NicoMoreno wrote:Ever see that new cell-phone commercial? Blatant slagging of Christian/PTA groups. The last line says it all: Music leads to Dancing, and Dancing to Touching.

Not much of a point, but I doubt you'd ever see a commerical making fun of Muslims like that, yet I have never heard of a sect (of Christianity) that bans all instruments.

In these parts, Old Baptists do not use musical instruments, not allowed. All singing is acapella.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

NicoMoreno, that remeinds me, there's another site I visited today, Islamic Culture, which address a ruling on the use of cell phones and electronic gadgets such as recording devices.
  • 21792: Taking cell-phones on which Qur'aan has been recorded into the washroom
    Question:

Recently electronic devices and cell phones have become widespread, and it is possible to store audio recordings of the Qur'aan in them. What is the ruling on taking such devices into washrooms?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not haraam to take these cell phones into washrooms because they do not come under the same rulings as the Mus-haf (printed copy of the Qur'aan), even after Qur'aan has been recorded in them, because it is sound which is hidden inside it, it is not writing that is visible. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
MORE EXAMPLES FROM THIS SITE:
  • 6490: Can we read from a Mushaf that becomes contaminated with najaasah and is then cleaned?

20620: Reciting Qur'aan in the bathroom

1690: The Ruling of translating the Qur'an to other Languages and Touching it by a disbeliever

12225: Non-Muslims touching the Qur'aan

8885: Accepting a copy of the Bible so that a kaafir will agree to accept a copy of the Qur'aan

6223: Carrying the Qur'aan to the bathroom so that it will not be stolen

4258: Recycling paper containing the name of Allaah

2260: Kissing the Mus-haf, kissing one's fingers and swaying whilst reciting Qur'an
mukade

Post by mukade »

Of course, interpretation of the Shari'ah differs between Muslim sects.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan would have been shocked to hear that his qawwali was naughty in the eyes, or ears, of Allah.

Mukade
Last edited by mukade on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Man, do you need any more proof that its a Medieval religion? The early Catholic Church went through many restrictions, first allowing only chant, then gasp, polyphony, then a few instruments and so on. Oh yeah, and only men or boys could sing in church right up into the 18th century.

Just give Islam, say, another 500 years and they'll be playing Folk Masses with geetars right there in the Mosque. If it doesn't all go up in mushroom clouds.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden wrote:I thought the devil played fiddle... and maybe banjo.
It is recorded that Nicolo Paganini was so commonly thought to be the offspring of the Devil--due to his virtuosity on the violin--that he actually once took out an ad in a paper to debunk this rumor.

It probably didn't change any minds; however, then and now, there was no such thing as bad publicity for a performing artist.

--James

P.S. On the same line, I first became interested in the Harry Potter books when I heard a story on NPR one morning, years ago, describing the uproar they were causing among concerned Evangelical / Fundamentalist parents.

I figured if they were no good, who would bother raising a fuss over them--so I bought the first couple of books and read them. They were excellent; I have found much worthwhile reading by checking various "banned book" lists.

Negative publicity = book sales, at least for me. :twisted: :party:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:Ever see that new cell-phone commercial? Blatant slagging of Christian/PTA groups. The last line says it all: Music leads to Dancing, and Dancing to Touching.

In these parts, Old Baptists do not use musical instruments, not allowed. All singing is acapella.
There are a good many Christian groups that disallow instruments in worship. In my state probably most commonly the Primitive Baptists, Churches of Christ, and Mennonites, though the Eastern Orthodox Churches are also, as you say, a capella. At a former time in American history, perhaps more churches than not rejected instruments in worship. It was Moody and Sankey who popularized instrumental accompaniment among the Evangelical churches of the USA and the UK, in the late 1800's. Up to that time, instrumental music in church was associated with "high churchmanship." As for banning all instruments, there were those in the Early Church (and by this I mean Christians of the first few centuries AD) who opposed all instrumental music, in any setting, though this does not ever seem to have been universal.

Where you will most likely find Christians who reject all instrumental music is those who reject it in worship and are also strict enough to ban all secular music, outside the church, as well.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've not seen the ad, but it brought to mind this quote from the 16th Century, "from Pyping to playing, from play to pleasure, from pleasure to slouth, from slouth to sleepe, from sleepe to sinne, from sinne to death, from death to the devill" --Stephen Gosson, 1554-1624
Reasonable person
Walden