Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: Delicious!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory: Delicious!

Post by brewerpaul »

Charlene and I saw the new Willy Wonka movie, and we haven't stopped smiling yet.
Don't even try to compare it to the Gene Wilder movie, which I also love. These are two entirely different experiences-- I don't think either is better or worse.

Technology has advanced a lot since the first movie, and the new one make terrific use of it. One example is that the Oompa Loompas are all played (wonderfully) by one actor. Their musical numbers after each "bad" child meets his or her fate are true delights.

Charlie is played by one of the actors who played opposite Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland, and he's very appealing and genuine . You really LIKE this kid and feel for him.

The sets and scenery are a visual feast, and every camera shot is framed as if they were composing it for a still. You could watch this movie with the sound turned off and still enjoy it.

Johnny Depp is Johnny Depp. I can't think of a more mercurial actor or one currently on the scene who could bring so much to this particular story. Some reviewers have been put off by his performance, but I was crazy about it.

There are a lot of old movie references (2001 Space Oddesey, old Esther Williams swimming extravaganzas, etc) that the kiddies will enjoy but not fully understand, but their parents will.

All in all, you'll feel as if YOU found the Golden Ticket!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I was delighted to hear that this film follows the book a little more closely than the first one did. I can think of no other actor than Depp who could pull off the character of Wonka. I am looking forward to seeing it.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

It's due here in about two weeks and I can't wait.
I saw the trailer when we went to see "War of the Worlds" and it looked great - very visual if you know what I mean.

The trailer was better than "War of the Worlds" which I thought was awful..unless you happen to be a special effects freak.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I saw it a couple of nights ago and I have to agree that it is great. I expected less from Depp I did not think he would do the part well at all but he did better than I expected I think Jim Carey would have made the best Wonka. Different from the original and if you forget that lots of details are different than you will enjoy it but if you sit there saying that was not in the original movie you will not enjoy it.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Growing up, my mother read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator to my sister and I. I remember being very entertained by both books... but had one or two nightmares about Vermiscious Knids. :D
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Unseen122 wrote:I think Jim Carey would have made the best Wonka.
Personally, I think Carey would've been a horrible Willy Wonka. Johnny Depp was a much better choice, in my opinion. (But then, I've never cared for Jim Carey as either a comedian or actor. Different strokes, and all that...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I think Carey COULD have been good, or he could have been 'way too over the top. He's got a pretty wide range of wild and craziness and too much would definitely have ruined this role. Having seen Depp though, I can't imagine anyone else currently acting doing the part. Well, maybe Michael Jackson... :roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Someone who just saw the movie mentioned "Johnny Depp dressed as Michael Jackson". :lol:
mukade

Post by mukade »

I read that Roald Dahl hated the original version of the film, especially the choice of Gene Wilder as Wonka. He wanted Spike Milligan to play the role.

I am pleased Tim Burton made the new movie. He is one of the few directors who attempts to make something better than the usual Hollywood dross.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Funny a friend of mine and I were disscusing how Depp looked like Jakson earlier today.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was always one of my fave books, and I can't wait to see the new movie...I think I'll go this weekend. Thanks for giving your thoughts, Paul! Made me all the more stoked to see it. :)

(And no, the fact that I had Johnny Depp's face plastered all over the inside of my high school locker umpteen years ago has *nothing* to do with it. No, not at all!! :D )
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Denny

Post by Denny »

aderyn_du wrote:(And no, the fact that I had Johnny Depp's face plastered all over the inside of my high school locker umpteen years ago has *nothing* to do with it. No, not at all!! :D )
Depp? Kids...