Boys and Girl of County Clare Out

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Boys and Girl of County Clare Out

Post by OnTheMoor »

Got it last night. It was disapointingly bad. Damn shame too.

Nothing irks me more than when a movie has great subject manner, hilarious characters and a decent story and then the director or producer goes and buggers it up with cheap gags that nobody laughs at anymore. Does a story about an Irish Music competition need puke jokes, completely gratuitous nudity (and I do mean blatantly pointless, other than to drag on one of the aformentioned puke jokes... and it's not even Andrea Coor!!!) and a false teeth gag???

The funny parts that do shine through just make the whole thing more frustrating. The goofy accordion players, the UPer who is constantly fiddling around with his pipes, the bajrON ("Know all the tunes do ya?") players from across the pond and the quirky pub one-liners are all worth a laugh, but you just end up hoping, to no avail, for more. Not to mention the fact that actual music is oddly absent. Why not get some great musicians to do cameos for the festival? Obviously people are seeing the movie because they like the subject matter, so give them what they want. Instead, everytime there is the possibility of actually watching people play the movie goes off to watch some Brit humping an American hippie in his tent!

For the Canadian chiffers, I thought it was alot like Men With Brooms. Huge possibility, but terrible end-product.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

That's a crying shame. I was looking forward to that from the trailers on the web. Is this another case of "all the best bits are in the trailer" and the other 87 minutes are pants?

I think I'll have to see it when it's out over here, just to make up my own mind. Of course, the completely pointless and blatantly gratuitous nudity hasn't influenced my decision to remain objective until I've seen it for meself. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Going to see it probably won't kill you. It's more disapointing rather than "Worst movie ever!" Almost like they knew that their subject matter was funny, but decided to "Yank it up abit" by throwing in "American style" humour and failed miserably at it, as usually happens. I'm actually a fan of that kind of stupid comedy, but leave it to Hollywood. Work with what you've got.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

By way of Idleness...

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/n ... =Eircomnet

I agree with the number one choice, though I have serious objections to the fourth :wink:

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, I'm surprised to see The Quiet Man on the list, as it was every cliche of the stage Irish to appeal to American nostalgia. Waking Ned Divine is noticibly missing. :wink:

However, I thought Intermission was brilliantly funny, slow to start up, and then just built up in ridiculousness - excellent. I haven't seen all of these films, but Eat the Peach was too dull to believe. I don't know how it got on any list.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

My favorite Irish film is probably the 'Match Maker'.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The Secret of Roan Inish was not at all shabby. Best music sound track for a movie I've heard to date.

Into the West kept my interest.

And, what can you say bad about Darby O'Gill and the Little People????

I'm hoping they do one about Brian Boru some time. (Or better yet, Balor of the Evil Eye.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I didn't see it mentioned in the article Dubh linked, but I thoroughly enjoyed "War of the Buttons".

Others already mentioned that I liked:
The Secret of Roan Inish
Waking Ned Devine
The Way West
The Commitments
The Quiet Man

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."

Post by Guest »

oopz
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

dubhlinn wrote:though I have serious objections to the fourth :wink:
I still think you should read the book Dubh. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Come on though Big D, how can you not like The Quiet Man? That's like not enjoying the 1938 Robin Hood coz it's not historically accurate. :lol:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

jbarter wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:though I have serious objections to the fourth :wink:
I still think you should read the book Dubh. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Come on though Big D, how can you not like The Quiet Man? That's like not enjoying the 1938 Robin Hood coz it's not historically accurate. :lol:
What about liking the Robin Hood with Kevin Costner?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Yeah right... You'll be telling us you liked the Bryan Adams soundtrack next, Flydood!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GaryKelly wrote:Yeah right... You'll be telling us you liked the Bryan Adams soundtrack next, Flydood!
Don't tell me it's not worth dying for. :wink:
(BTW, my name is John)
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

For me it all started at the movies.

I'm 4th generation Irish American. Being Irish without much meaning was part of growing up, but Irish music was not.

Saw Waking Ned Devine, lead to liking Fisherman's Blues, led to buying soundtrack, led to liking pipes on the cd, led to suggesting that my wife get me a whistle for Christmas a few years back, led to ... you've all lived the rest of the story
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

dwinterfield wrote:For me it all started at the movies.

I'm 4th generation Irish American. Being Irish without much meaning was part of growing up, but Irish music was not.

Saw Waking Ned Devine, lead to liking Fisherman's Blues, led to buying soundtrack, led to liking pipes on the cd, led to suggesting that my wife get me a whistle for Christmas a few years back, led to ... you've all lived the rest of the story
Just be grateful you didn't go to see "Dude, Where's My Bodhran?" :D
(BTW, my name is John)